Idea: DF-esque (semi-)randomly generated characteristics

Hello Forum,

in the current state of this awesome game we get to know very little about what our character actually looks like.
Now, I propose, why not make a system that

1. transfers many values (e.g.: Strength 14) into a readable and therefore more immersive string.
  2. allows for description of non-vital characteristics (e.g.: “xy has neatly combed hair and a really long beard”.)

Yes, the idea is basically what there currently is in DF, but even better, in C:DDA we won’t be limited to certain appearances (fat, beard,.)
So, what it should displa in my opinion (with some ideas)(things that would be randomly determined marked with “R”):

• Fitness (derived from strength)
  • Agility (derived from Dexterity)
  • Height, R
  • Hair, R
  • Beard, Moustache R
  • Skin colour R
  • Age (?), R
  • Facial features (might be overkill, depending on detail), R
  • Scars R
  • Trait based features (might have a strange look in his eyes if Schizophrenic, might have a naturally angry/sad face if Bad tempered
  • Tattoos R
  • Piercings R
  • and more!

I suppose this could be displayed perhaps at the start of the game, and later on we should assign a button to it.

I will gladly help with writing the “raw” text and in improving this idea, for the real coding we’ll need someone who knows his stuff.

What do you think?

I would like this a lot.

Buuuut… that code though.

Perhaps for now we could cut the non-random part, that uses stats and work only on the randomly defined one, if that is any help.

Not a bad idea, and honestly the code doesn’t seem HARD to implement, it would just be a few RNG’s, variable assignments and a UI box. Honestly, I just have no clue where we would find said descriptions. Unless we overhaul the @ menu (which may or may not be overdo), there really isn’t a nice place, and devoting a whole button to it… maybe if by default it was undefined. Though if we did add this in, I’ve no doubt we would have a horde of RP’er’s demanding the ability to customize these things (which is a reasonable demand, but much harder to implement). The stat based ones are probably EASIER to implement, since they don’t even need RNG, just a switch case.

So, BeigeSand are you interested in doing some work on this project?
If you tell me what to do I will gladly help you, as far as my abilities go! :slight_smile:

I’m not so sure that this is the best idea. There is a significant portion of the fanbase that likes to roleplay their characters, and forcing a particular appearance on a player isn’t necessarily something that that portion of the fanbase is going to enjoy.

It could probably go in, but I’d insist that there was a way for the player to manually set settings like appearance at character creation if they desire to do so.

Possibly generate and display the random-ish description if you ask for it?
I also don’t like having a randomly assembled description imposed on players.

-1 to randomly assigned traits.

Like Iam2roy, I would like to manually set it, and have randomize button at the creation screen.
Sounds cool for NPCs too.

I like this idea. Not only it would make the game more immersive, but it could even useful to make quests that make use of it in the long run (example: find a missing person with defined characteristics)

I’m with KA101 on this 100%.

Now a specific option to randomize, like we currently have for characters in general would be okay, but nothing enforced.

I’m with KA101 on this 100%.

Now a specific option to randomize, like we currently have for characters in general would be okay, but nothing enforced.[/quote]

I’m with Kevin and 12amroy, so that makes it just about all the core devs.

Yeah, making it selectable but at the same time introducing a “select random” button is clearly the superior idea.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:6, topic:7186”]I’m not so sure that this is the best idea. There is a significant portion of the fanbase that likes to roleplay their characters, and forcing a particular appearance on a player isn’t necessarily something that that portion of the fanbase is going to enjoy.

It could probably go in, but I’d insist that there was a way for the player to manually set settings like appearance at character creation if they desire to do so.[/quote]

The same thing is what i think. Leaving things for the imagination is always a good thing. Unless this could be added in some way to their sprited, ala RogueSurvivor?

Still, i think the player should not have a description at all.

the thing about you deciding how npcs look seems wonky and a bit inmersion breaker to me.

It´s also has no actual impact on gameplay, at least the description stuff. So it´s not bad but it´s useless in a way?

Sorry if i just shooted a shotgun of mean comments here, but it´s what i think!

Don’t forget that mutations will wreck the heck out of whatever custom/random face you make.
Coding nightmareAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Because it’s kind of a simulation, whereas your character has a profession prior to cataclysm,

Knowing that your playing character has a wide choice to resolving problems and determining his/her destiny,

I’m more of a fan of having a BIO field to fill in, therefore it would append to the Morgue file.
I guess I’m saying this: "It’s not your generic content. It’s generic content indeed.

The same thing is what i think. Leaving things for the imagination is always a good thing. Unless this could be added in some way to their sprited, ala RogueSurvivor?

Still, i think the player should not have a description at all.

the thing about you deciding how npcs look seems wonky and a bit inmersion breaker to me.

It´s also has no actual impact on gameplay, at least the description stuff. So it´s not bad but it´s useless in a way?

Sorry if i just shooted a shotgun of mean comments here, but it´s what i think!

Generally, I agree that leaving things for imagination is always a good idea, that’s probably why we are playing a game with ascii-graphics and not GTA 9, or something.
Still, not knowing what you even remotely look like is just too much for the imagination to take on.
I can totally understand you (and others) when you are saying that you like to roleplay, but clarify please: Do you actually imagine; “okay, I am roughly 1,85m tall, pretty fit, male caucasion with a facial scar over my right eye and a large tattoo of an eagle on my left arm”. Because tbh I doubt that.
I too like to “assign” certain “stereotypes” to my characters, like the mad cannibal butcher, or the eccentric bionic freak or something.
Apart from that, not displaying the information on the characterscreen but on a seperate key could people who want to ignore that just let them ignore that.
Also, don’t worry about mean comments, this is a forum so its made for discussion.
Comments like this:

-1 to randomly assigned traits.
are not very constructive, though. Could you elaborate?

To clarify, this would be purely flavour, not more, not less. Other games may actually display a picture of a character, but games like C:DDA have to use other ways to let the player know that something happened, and usually that is through written words. (Take sound, for example.) So if we want a full, procedurally generated world in this wonderful game, we can’t avoid descriptions of people (not only monsters) entirely.

I believe adding randomly generated appearances for NPCs is not opposed by anyone? No roleplaying issue, for that case also.

And also, because someone asked, here a prototype example of what a description could look like:

“You see here Urist McDwarf. He is a young caucasian man, and rather tall.He is bald but has a long blonde beard. He is very fit and seems to be quite agile. He has a tattoo of one of the old baseball teams on his right arm. Across his right eye there is a long scar. He is handsome. He seems to always have a unhappy expression on his face.”

So, this guy has “pretty”, “bad tempered” as traits (or maybe more), and fairly high strength and Dexterity.

Because it's kind of a simulation, whereas your character has a profession prior to cataclysm,

Knowing that your playing character has a wide choice to resolving problems and determining his/her destiny,

I’m more of a fan of having a BIO field to fill in, therefore it would append to the Morgue file.
I guess I’m saying this: "It’s not your generic content. It’s generic content indeed.

No offense vultures, you seem to be an experienced plser and a good guy, but most of the time I find it reall har dot figure out what you’re saying. Even if you write it in the final line. :smiley:

I object to being non-voluntary-random assigned any particular trait when making a Custom Character, whether superficial, substantive, or otherwise. “Sorry, you rolled X character trait/profession/whatever, now you gotta play it”. If I wanted random assignment, I’d select Random Character.

I was agreeing with my fellow devs, and felt no need to retype everything they had said.

I’d suggest that Pretty/Ugly, etc are somewhat subjective in terms of specific characteristics. Something more generic, such as “Hmm, he looks kinda promising…,” or “Ew, he seems kinda shifty,” would work better.

I think he meant randomly assigned physical looks. You know, pimply, skinny, fat, etc.

I’d like to make my own character, but a random button is nice.