Can you turn off weapon degradation in experimental?

I tend to be whacking 20 zombies all the time I don’t want to deal with my weapon suddenly becoming worse,and eventually breaking and leaving me with my bare hands.

Pretty sure you can’t without modifying the code. I’d say carry a backup weapon and switch your main weapon out when it’s really damaged. I also think you can reinforce weapons now.

If you’re okay with “cheating”, you can spawn a new weapon in with the debug menu.

i use my crowbar and its in perfect condition only makeshift is breaking fast

Yea, everything that’s a long-term viable melee weapon is immune to taking damage from normal use.
And no, there isn’t an option to disable it.

The point of the experimental builds is for users to try out the upcoming changes, and complain about what’s broken. It wouldn’t make sense to be able to turn those changes off :slight_smile:

My nodachi got to 2 tiers below normal but I could repair it with a soldering irom and some scrap metal, so…

Even the DURABLE_MELEE items aren’t immune to wear and tear - they’re just a lot more resistant to it than other items of similar composition.

I suspect that even a very good sword would suffer damage if it were called upon for more than a few fights without maintenance, especially against armoured opponents. Energy weapons though, you could have a beam which ejects plasma out one side that could be used to melt rather than cut. So long as you have it turned on it would likely not suffer damage from ‘cutting’ things. blocking or bashing on the other hand…

Energy weapons probably incur their wear and tear as a matter of course in activation/deactivation. Extreme temperatures, fluctuating environments and delicate components will eventually combine to bring about unit failure (consider the modern computer, which has little in the way of moving parts, is stationary, protected from the elements, and will generally not operate beyond the boiling point of water, yet will eventually suffer component degradation for precisely the same reason.)

Depends on just how “broken” the change is. You can turn off hordes, forex.

That’s a pretty good point, but we don’t have laser sword things in DDA.

I could forgive a game for having a device that can melt through metal, only requires electrical input, and also functions as a weapon. It may not see much practical use, but a military could benefit from such a thing existing…
It would not need to be a laser sword though…

maybe plasma spear? actualy is realy possible to do this IRL but only power supply is problem maybe advenced UPS in cataclysm can power it?

Wait, that wasent a bug/caused by acid rain?

But… I liked that fireaxe!

There should be an option to turn off weapon degradation when the stable rolls around IMO.

It doesn’t sound like fun, it just sounds like pointless content bloat that makes the game less enjoyable.

[quote=“Tawarochir, post:15, topic:6460”]There should be an option to turn off weapon degradation when the stable rolls around IMO.

It doesn’t sound like fun, it just sounds like pointless content bloat that makes the game less enjoyable.[/quote]

Its not really that bad actually, its mostly just improvised shelter weapons and nail bats that break easily rest of stuff lasts pretty long.

Hm. So, for example, shovels and “true” crowbars are still OK, but fake crowbars and the like are crappy?

What about knife spears?

I don’t see the issue personally, there are far more absurd things in DDA than laser weapons.

It would be cool if it were at least a mod thing.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:16, topic:6460”][quote=“Tawarochir, post:15, topic:6460”]There should be an option to turn off weapon degradation when the stable rolls around IMO.

It doesn’t sound like fun, it just sounds like pointless content bloat that makes the game less enjoyable.[/quote]

Its not really that bad actually, its mostly just improvised shelter weapons and nail bats that break easily rest of stuff lasts pretty long.[/quote]Still, if you remove the loaded “content bloat” term, the idea of it being extra busy-work that some folk would prefer to be without. An off switch would be nice, but I for one feel that it would be worthy of inclusion regardless of whether an off-switch is available… Maybe compress such things into a reduced maintenance option to save on space in the options menu. It might someday include things such as vehicle maintenance and construction degradation from acid rain…

Stuff wears out. Deal with it.

Clothes take a lot of abuse from monsters, eventually become damaged and/or destroyed without regular maintenance.
Vehicles need lots of fuel and eventually become damaged and/or destroyed without regular maintenance.
Guns need lots of ammunition and eventually become damaged and/or destroyed without regular maintenance.

Now using a sharpened stick banana* to beat zombies to death will eventually cause it to become damaged and/or destroyed without some regular maintenance. Some weapons are more resistant to this than others.

These aren’t optional; they’re an intrinsic part of the whole ‘survival simulator’ thing we’ve got going here.

[size=6pt]*You can’t actually repair bananas. When they get bruised just eat them. You can repair sharpened sticks though.[/size]