Can someone link me to the latest GRAPHICAL version of Cataclysm?

[quote=“Jericoshost, post:32, topic:2547”]I personally want a tile set which only shows floors, walls, counters and furniture.
That way the monsters and items will not only stand out, but also allow us to visualize them in our own way.[/quote]

This sounds like a cool idea.

Metro isn’t turn-based, for one. Cataclysm is, and that’s why it’s called a roguelike. Project Zomboid isn’t turn-based. It’s only similar to Cataclysm because they both have zombies- both are completely different playing experiences.

If there was a huge 3d isometric engine for Cata, I’d still prefer ASCII.

I haven’t looked at GalenEvil’s implementation for the details, but it is absolutely going to support swappable tilesets, there will be at least one tileset we ship with the game, but based on the level of interest I’ve seen, we will likely have quite a few floating around.

This is exactly what we’ve been saying, it’s precisely the extra overhead of graphics that keep games like Day-Z from having as much content as Cataclysm. Even if they make their game as moddable as we’re planning on making DDA, the barrier to entry for simply adding an item is an item definiton as well as a skinned 3D mesh, which massively shrinks the pool of potential contributors.

Such a thing would probably need a AAA budget, and the companies throwing around that kind of money aren’t interested. An open-source team might be able to do it, but wrangling both the engineering and artistic manpower required for that kind of thing would be exceedingly difficult, and is pretty hard to bootstrap.
Personally I think an achievable goal would be a voxel-based zombie survival game, voxels are basically the ASCII of 3D. I was actually looking into this before jumping on to Cataclysm, but couldn’t find a non-Java open source voxel engine, and I’m not up to writing my own voxel engine.

Now what you’re describing is a mythical AAAA funded game. 3D destructable environments are ridiculously difficult, with our tile-based (and with Z-levels, cube-based) archatecture, I fully plan on having destructable, collapsable buildings, but doing so in a skinned 3D enviroment increases the engine and asset loads incredibly. From what I can tell this is handled currently with some mixture of hand-crafted models/textures, decals, and procedural generation, but the problem of taking an arbitrary 3D model and making it look right when partially destroyed is ridiculously difficult. (I’ve done some research on replicating the level of destructability in e.g. Xcom in a 3D space, it’s HARD).

Despite my skepticism, I do too.

Demand is the other thing, the game industry is all about PvP

There are a couple of open world voxel based games involving destructible environments and the undead, actually.

Rust is one. There’s another one but I forgot the name. Seems a bit like minecraft only with hordes of zombies, guns and lots of traps.

But there are SO many differences between “you can delete a wall” and “bricks fly out individually and you can pick one up and smash somebody’s head in with it”

I am going with basic tileset for ascii lovers in the beginning:

And of course there will be tile-based version, but those who like to say that “z as a zombies is easier to read” will be satisfied too :).

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1336.0

OAH MAH GAWD
That looks amazing.

Sorry, 32x32 version had a little problem with clothing icons, I fixed it.
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1336.0

I am going to port it to DDA as soon as tileset support arrives.

[quote=“Deon, post:46, topic:2547”]I am going with basic tileset for ascii lovers in the beginning:

And of course there will be tile-based version, but those who like to say that “z as a zombies is easier to read” will be satisfied too :).

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1336.0[/quote]
ZOMG ITS DEON YAY! . . . sup?

[quote=“Deon, post:46, topic:2547”]I am going with basic tileset for ascii lovers in the beginning:

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1336.0[/quote]

Want?

DO.

Me like!
Shut up and take my money!

Tile support was said to be given this week (edit: next week), Galen had personnal stuff to do but will give it as soonn as he’s done with testing it himself. I think he posted somewhere wich format he will be using for associating tiles with said items. So if you wanna start you could check it out.

Do I see before me fire that actually looks like fire?

Thank you Deon for this excellence. The tile set I’ve been using was a bit lacking.

I was doing quite well in it though… but I keep getting murdered by Skeletons. How the hell are you meant to kill those without taking massive damage?

A few good blunt hits.

And of course there will be tile-based version, but those who like to say that “z as a zombies is easier to read” will be satisfied too :).[/quote]

This is brilliant!

So is the tileset working now?

No, that version I linked is very old, pre-DDA. I await the tileset support to plug my tileset in as much as you do.

I generally take the massive damage during the attempt of this. I assume blades are crap against them.

Anyway Deon I’m not sure exactly what changes you made in the version of Cataclysm you linked to, but I’ve tried it out now and holy crap it’s an amazing improvement on the original game.

Especially having stackable items! And the bigger screen size.

I generally take the massive damage during the attempt of this. I assume blades are crap against them.

Anyway Deon I’m not sure exactly what changes you made in the version of Cataclysm you linked to, but I’ve tried it out now and holy crap it’s an amazing improvement on the original game.

Especially having stackable items! And the bigger screen size.[/quote]
Thats Whales’ Version of Cataclysm, he just made a tileset for it. (I assume anyways.) but its the version before DDA, its basically the Father of DDA

Yeah, it’s a very old version of Cataclysm, DDA was built on top of that, adding many new features over years.

I generally take the massive damage during the attempt of this. I assume blades are crap against them.[/quote]

Not really no, in my last playthrough i managed to get a katana and to say the least i was walking through town making zombie sushi in single blows with no real skills tossed in blade :stuck_out_tongue:

Also personally i dont really mind ASCII however since i do LPs on Cata and DF, the tilesets help ease others into the game that would otherwise miss out on what awesome gameplay and experiences they provide, also protip, charging a turret with your katana is not a survival tactic XD cough