Bunch of small bugs and oversights

Current version: 0.B. I started the game few days before the stable came out.

I found a science lab, I had to jump down from the stairs, there was an ant colony under the lab surface.
I killed a zombie technician close to an artifact surrounded by piles of rubble. The zombie died on a rubble and I had to clear up the rubble for the body.
Parking spots are too thin, a car occupy the full spot, no space to leave the car.
I think cars change speed too fast. It is very easy to stop or go to full speed within few turns.
Sudden slowing with cars should make a breaking sound.
Poisoned by giant wasp but also drugged with codeine. Still “You’re suddenly wracked with pain!” but no pain gained (still 0).
I siphoned 280002 units of none from my car into the Police Car. The gasoline transfered from the old car to the new one, only the message is wrong. Update: Later i siphoned the gasoline between two cars and the message was fine. Interesting.
I found a shopping cart in a parking lot next to a mine.
There are metal bars between an irradiated wanderer and me. If i cut the bars with acetylene torch the wanderer attacks me many times.
Somehow, after i leave the sewers, i was attacked and killed by a seweranha on the surface. After reload, i left the tiles next to the manhole, the seweranha came after me to the surface and died.
I climbed into a car from a manhole under it.
AEP_FORCE_TELEPORT should give a message when the player teleported. Now it looks like a movement bug.
Smashing dog zombies splats blood, other zombies never. Update: zombie childs also splats blood, so i think this is just an effect on the small size bodies, not a bug.
Making short rope from rags/leather patches/tanning hides is very time consuming, everything else is just a few minutes.

Edit1:
In the player.cpp file the player::get_armor_cut_base function give cut protection to the right leg not to the right arm, if player has a bio_armor_arms.

Edit2: clarifications

There are metal bars between an irradiated wanderer and me. If i cut the bars with acetylene torch the wanderer attacks me many times.

I wonder if this could be fixed by simply reversing the order in the code from set.terrain → moves -= 500 (?) to moves -=500 set.terrain?

Sorry to not help of anything, but I may Sig the none thing.

[quote=“latogato, post:1, topic:8036”]I found a science lab, I had to jump down from the stairs, there was an ant colony under the lab surface.
I killed a zombie technician close to an artifact surrounded by piles of rubble. I had to clear up the rubble for the drop.[/quote]
These two are intended.

I found a shopping cart in a parking lot next to a mine.
This one is a consequence of the mapgen code treating all parking lots the same. It'll probably be changed eventually, but it's not exactly high priority or a super-easy fix.
Somehow, after i leave the sewers, i was attacked and killed by a seweranha on the surface. After reload, i left the tiles next to the manhole, the seweranha came after me to the surface and died.
And this one is a consequence of the super bad z-level code we've been trying (and very slowly succeeding) to rewrite. It probably won't get fixed until we've got working z-levels.

Other than that nice reporting! :smiley: I’ll probably look into fixing up some of these tonight or tomorrow.

It’s a result of relatively simple car physics. Going around it would require either a flat nerf on engines or some non-obvious solution that no one described in detail yet. Also, what do you mean “too fast”? Stopping from full speed is quite dangerous even now. Accelerating to full speed is less risky, but not safe either.

Sudden slowing with cars should make a breaking sound.
That's not a bug or oversight, but a feature request. Not hard to implement so someone might do it. Eventually.
Poisoned by giant wasp but also drugged with codeine. Still "You're suddenly wracked with pain!" but no pain gained (still 0).
It's kinda hard to design a good message for those. I don't think painkillers are supposed to make you totally immune to pain, just numb it down so you don't really care. And even those painkillers that totally numb pain still have to use regular painkiller mechanics. There could be some sort of pain-vs-painkiller grading system, but it would have to be included in all pain-related messages.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:4, topic:8036”][quote=“latogato, post:1, topic:8036”]I found a science lab, I had to jump down from the stairs, there was an ant colony under the lab surface.
I killed a zombie technician close to an artifact surrounded by piles of rubble. I had to clear up the rubble for the drop.[/quote]
These two are intended.[/quote]

I think the rubble part wasn’t “digging artifact out” but “zombies dying on rubble get buried inside”.
That’s a relatively low-priority problem without an easy solution, so it wasn’t fixed.
Fun fact: you can smash and butcher buried items.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:5, topic:8036”]I think the rubble part wasn’t “digging artifact out” but “zombies dying on rubble get buried inside”.
That’s a relatively low-priority problem without an easy solution, so it wasn’t fixed.
Fun fact: you can smash and butcher buried items.[/quote]
Yes, it was about the zombie. I understand the rubble simply hide every object and there is no easy solution.

Here is an example what i mean: my current car accelerate from 0 to 96 km/h (60mph) within 5 turns and moves 16 tiles. To stop, it needs 5 turns and 8 tiles. The car is 6 tiles long, so the breaking distance is just a little longer than the length of a car. IRL it would be 50 meters (172 foot). I think acceleration and deceleration should be much slower, because now it’s too easy to drive through the streets full of zombies and wreckages. Also with the handbrake (i just realized, we have handbrake :smiley: ) we can stop immediately… most of the time.

Thank you! :slight_smile: Meanwhile i found another little bug: In the player.cpp file the player::get_armor_cut_base function give cut protection to the right leg not to the right arm, if player has a bio_armor_arms.

Some things are weird:

Is that intended these CBMs are so cheap?

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:7, topic:8036”]Some things are weird:

Is that intended these CBMs are so cheap?[/quote]

Nope. bionics.json was NOT audited. Yet.

[quote=“Snaaty, post:2, topic:8036”]

I wonder if this could be fixed by simply reversing the order in the code from set.terrain → moves -= 500 (?) to moves -=500 set.terrain?[/quote]
Unfortunately it’s not that simple, it’s the same deal as with picking things up, you have to overhaul the whole action to make it save state and not take effect until you’re finished.

Are you talking about the short rope?
There’s a normal short rope recipes which uses string which is quick, and there’s another that uses rags/leather patches/tanned hides which takes an hour and 30 minutes. :o

Acceleration seems slow compared to IRL if anything. Turns are 6 seconds, so that’s 0 to 60 in 30 seconds. I think it’s fairly balanced gamewise. I know a rework of traction/torque has been mentioned, so braking fixes may go in there.

[quote=“NOMOETOE, post:10, topic:8036”]Are you talking about the short rope?
There’s a normal short rope recipes which uses string which is quick, and there’s another that uses rags/leather patches/tanned hides which takes an hour and 30 minutes. :o[/quote]
Yes, exactly thanks for the refinement!

That is true, acceleration is fine that way, i hope the braking will be changed.