Brown Like Bears Tileset [Edit of Retrodays] Another version!

[quote=“StopSignal, post:19, topic:7696”][center][/center]

The Floors and Walls and Chairs and Pits early access update! [size=4pt](Also, kind of a pity update… get it? because of pits. Y’know)[/size]

This one got a few more creatures and some furniture. It also got complete digging support, and i totally fell in love with how it looks like. I really encourage you to play with it to tell me your thoughts! What do you think of the walls? I am not particularly pleased with them. Maybe they need a change of pallete. I really need your opinion there, forum dwellers!

https://www.mediafire.com/?271bz6sqdt7mrxw
https://www.mediafire.com/?13limddcdhqrtf7 -Edited a few things!

NOTE: Even if i merged it with the new tiles, i still have to implement support for them, so they won’t show up. Remember that these are just beta updates! Give me time.

[size=7pt]It’s not that Lois is a paranoid hole-digging person, she just likes how they look like.[/size][/quote]

Tough for me to tell which zeds are which. The pits look nice and I think you’ve got the Spiked Pit nailed.

Thanks for the review!

I thought zeds could be differentiated by color? Well, in any case, I could exaggerate them a bit more. And thanks for the pit comments! I still have to fix a minimal detail in one of the deep pit tiles, but it’s complete then.

Again, thanks for the review! Keep helping this get better, forum!

Thanks for the review!

I thought zeds could be differentiated by color? Well, in any case, I could exaggerate them a bit more. And thanks for the pit comments! I still have to fix a minimal detail in one of the deep pit tiles, but it’s complete then.

Again, thanks for the review! Keep helping this get better, forum![/quote]

Colorblindness is a thing, but for me (not colorblind) it’s more being used to having two colors rather than one. Green Z with cyan background = bionic operator. Green background, soldier.

Going into detail:

OK. The upper left ones are pretty clearly Fat zeds. Bright green ones, yeah, the generi-zed. Crawling is likewise obvious, as is the skeleton. Decayed ones have that hole in the gut and their mouths are lined out, so yeah. Orange-y one directly above the PC, no idea. Cyan one to the PC’s left, not sure whether tech (is that an overalls-pocket?), shocker, probably not a shocker brute?

I think yellow is a spitter and that pink one is a boomer? I guess it’s intended to look like a vomiting zed, though I never envisioned spitters as vomiting on me so I didn’t make that connection. Boomer looks more hunchbacked than bloated, but that might work.

Based on the original post’s context, I presume the grey zed with glowing eyes is a Necro. Not sure about the pink flames there, but the eyes work. The bloated zed (below the skeleton) leaking gas is a nice touch and makes it easy to identify. Guessing the one diagonal to the skeleton is a shrieker, but if so it might work better with sound waves or hands making a megaphone?

Red guy there could either be a brute or a jabberwock. Not sure. Presuming the helmet and armor there is a Soldier as it’s in green: cops would be presumed blue.

That is, indeed, incredibly helpful. Gonna check one by one.

Fat zeds look clear, and so do the generic zed, crawler, and decayed.
The one above the PC, is supposed to be the tough zombie. I had this inside battle to make it look like the brute in a different color or not, guess i will have to do that, and exaggerate the angry expression.
Cyan is supposed to be Shocker. Maybe i can add sparkles to the background, and change that square “bionic” to a future Tech, that i still did not do.
Brute Shocker will look like the brute (red) but with sparkles and electrified hair.
With Necro, the description said that the air looked mean and netherish near him, so i took a bit of artistic license. Could change though.
Spitter is yellow, yes. I could give it some accent into it by making him drool acid a bit. Boomer (pink) will get this treatment too.
Bloated zed and skeleton seem nice then!
Shrieker could get some little “sound waves”. I will try to get a way to not make it take your inmersion away.
Red is the brute!. Jabby will look more creature like.
Soldier is recognizable and the cop is exactly like you say.

I could try adding a borderline to the “two colour” zombies to see how the end up looking, but i will need time because i have taken a time from the game and can’t remember the ones that had, and don’t get me started with new ones! Haha.

I will also use this post to show up how the bunker looks now, survivors.
[size=5pt](I just realized how, accidentally, the pallete in this picture looks really nice, and you can easily tell what is floor and what is object. Being orange and blue contrary colours, they give this illusion. Check it)
[/size]

The only thing needed to do is to finish struggling with the danged stairs. They are hard.

I do agree that for zombies with a second background colour in ascii, said colour should be worked into their new sprite in some fashion. I don’t think it would take much of the second colour to make the distinction clearer.

Love those zeds, I agree most of them can be worked out :smiley:

Thanks to you all! I’ll try that and bring back the changes. Also, I may struggle with animals a bit. That stairs will have to wait.

Take all my bears and bear related accessories, also one Zoose fur ushanka. This looks really cool so far, can’t wait to see more.

A quick way to find out the colours for a particular creature is to open up monsters.json (preferably in something like Notepad++). It lists the colour - or foreground and background colour - for each thing.

Going to check that soon, then!
For now, to keep you hyped:

It’s guess the tile! Starring little Lois as always.
Seriously, this ones are quite hard because i decided to have some fun.

Little hints:
For example, the Statue, if you look real close, is like my avatar. Initials GB from my name. If it’s too weird i will take it out, however.
Another hard one is from a song.
And i really hope you get to see the trunk there. (I need to enlighten the grass around it later)
Also, may the fungus be with you.

In the next update i hope im going to be finished with furniture and be able to move onto weirder stuff. Items will be the last-last thing im going to touch in this project.

I still haven’t seen how the rocky floor from the basement looks, and i really CAN’T FIND THE ROCK WALL. That one is tough.

Also, i got to understand the tileset program Mr. Antistar showed me! Now i can add the new tiles, but still, give me time. I hope in next update you can be in the forest without inmersion breaking 7s.

Ok, comment!

If you haven’t made any changes to the tile_config.json yet, you could probably save yourself a lot of work by updating to the latest version of RetroDays (just grab a recent experimental) and pasting your new tiles over the top. You’d then use the newer Retrodays tile_config.json as a starting point, of course.

This would also mean that you’ll have the ASCII fallback stuff already separated into a separate png file, making it easier to add new tiles to the bottom of the tilesheet.

I was actually kind of scared of asking that. Like, you are being really nice here, seriously! I hope i can repay one day.

Anyways, may do that, yes! A lot of thanks, mate!

Well that’s fine; it’s under a CC-BY-SA license, after all. :slight_smile:

Great! Pretty much possibly tomorrow i will get to do it. For now, i got a lot of things, and TBOI Rebirth is not helping me get stuff done.

Just dropping this here to get you excited.

Dat me!

If you ask, you could get one for you. (If i have time [size=4pt]hint: i usually don’t, but i will try[/size]) It does not mean i will do a different build for everyone that wants, but i could get the image and you paste it to the game. Fun! I guess.

Well, expect some forest changes tomorrow!
Then i will take a break because i need to animate a gift for someone :3 But later, stuff!

PSA:

Pre-release string and feature freeze is specifically for the benefit of tileset artists and translators. :wink: Feel free to PR updates and sets, just make sure they’re complete.

[quote=“KA101, post:36, topic:7696”]PSA:

Pre-release string and feature freeze is specifically for the benefit of tileset artists and translators. :wink: Feel free to PR updates and sets, just make sure they’re complete.[/quote]

I really don’t think I will reach a good tileset version in just a few days, sadly, because there is still a big quantity of things to replace. And being almost all still RetroDays, I think it should be left alone for now! I will try to make the most tilesets I can, though!

The sprites, they grow and multiply. Like bears!
Gooood.

Thanks!
Also, update reaaal soooooon!
Details of the up8? Well, first of all, LOTS of tiles have been completed. Seriously.

[size=7pt]Lois still does not know what happened there.[/size]

There is also some old tiles there… i could not avoid adding them, sorry!

[size=7pt]Hmm… needs more depression.[/size]

I tried to give a depressing feel to some tiles. Decayed things, dirty dumpsters and destroyrd beds. Houses don’t look nice anymore. It’s because it’s the cataclysm! It must feel sad. Lonely. Did i got to give this effect? I don’t know, really. But i tried!

If you really want to make it more depressing just darken the colors of all the environmental tiles. I do like how vibrant everything looks though.