Brown Like Bears Tileset [Edit of Retrodays] Another version!

BROWN LIKE BEARS

I am making a modified version of RetroDays, to my own liking. Maybe you will like it too, who knows! And that’s why, if you want, i will start sharing it here. Obviously, this is just a modified version of RetroDays.

So credit goes to Antistar, for making the awesome tileset RetroDays, that i use as template! Check here!

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5482.0

So, can you recognize them?

This is how it’s going so far.

[spoiler=ALL DA IMAGES][center]
A survivor hangs around a mostly empty home, after having escaped a horde.

A walk through the woods, under the rain.

A military bunker, with it’s turrets. Not really willing to go in there.

Another survivor, wondering if he should enter the strange, boarded up building.

Zombies destroying the fence of a FEMA camp, trying to go after a survivor.

A man rests inside a house, after having survived a few Mi-Gos.

This survivor watches the rain fall next to the restaurant’s window.

Still not knowing exactly what is happening here.

What an strange place.

I’d better be careful.

No one can be depressed after killing 30 zombie kids in this basement, that looks really comfy.[/center]

[/spoiler]
[center]-----------
[b]
http://www.mediafire.com/download/msj6l52x8dyimu3/BrownLikeBears(2).rar

UPDATE! Or more like “renewed for the new version”!

But hey, it has got some new clothes and fixed the NPCs positions so the clothes look well on them. So yeah, i hope you like it! Don’t expect to see much new stuff, apart for the new zombies and the clothes, but at least it got actualized now.
Modify message
[/b]
-----------[/center]

And hey, thanks for downloading, or at least checking this! (:

4 Likes

This is really nice, the characters are well-drawn and recognizable. I really like the humans’ faces that look like “Oh god damn it how did I get into this bullshit”.

The brownish background is… not my favorite, but if that’s the feel you want to go for, do it. Personally it reminds me too much of the gross grey-green tint that was over everything when I was playing Fallout 3 but that’s just me.

But my absolutely favorite thing is the way you designed the pine tree! shot

So orange… Reminds me of old game systems and oranges. Goddammit, now I’m nostalgic and hungry.

Also, I love the poker face the humans have. Resists urge to sing Poker Face

Really glad you are liking it so far! I could make a black variation later, If you want!

About the pine tree, haha, I still don’t know how to edit the files to add it a tile. Apart from editing the four, I say. Give me some time and it will be fixed! :smiley:

About the orangy, well, I tried to give it a post a apocalyptic feel. As stated before, this may change!

It’s amazing what a difference it makes going from 10x10 to 20x20 pixels! A lot more detail becomes possible.

RetroDays is by me, based on work by HRose and Trihook. Details are here - or in the RetroDays thread.

Anyway, it looks good. :slight_smile: Not sure about the brown, though; it’s a bit odd - and confusing, really - having areas you can’t see be brown rather than black. The same goes for everything that isn’t dirt, to be honest.

Also, it looks like you’re basing it on an outdated version of RetroDays. If you grab latest, it has tiles for pine trees (and everything else, barring anything added in the last couple of weeks). There’s also the PSD resource at the Nexus link above.

Woah, I am glad you could see this! I will add credits for you, then!

About BG color: yeah, that is one of the main problems I have! If I want to keep the BG as it is, I will have to change the “not seen” to black, or something, because if not it won’t be very good. Now that you are here, can I ask you if the first tile of all is the not seen one?

Also, woah, it looks like I am doing that! I thought that was the last version, because I downloaded it with the experimental. Oh well, rookie mistake! Thanks! I will get to it later then.

I should have checked in the thread, yeah, but I think I was excited or just lazy. Can’t remember!

Again, thanks! With time I will update and give the download!

Yes, the first tile is for ‘lighting_hidden’ (though the index starts counting at 0 so it’s 0 rather than 1).

You may find one of the tileset editors useful - like this one. Depends on how you want to work on it.

Looks like you have a lot of redrawing to do. Those guys don’t really blend in with the rest of the retro looking stuff.

Thanks! I will check it when i have time! Seems really useful.

Also, yep, i do! But with perseverance comes the… tileset, i guess.

Anyways, more! Guess the zombies. [size=3pt]Don’t check the side, that’s cheating![/size]
Also, cool sparkles! (Edits of Antistar’s sparkles)

EDIT:

More! Necromancers, blood, gore, crawlers, dogs AND GAS. Omg i love how it looks now. Also, shadows! Get to see for yourself, with the last pic. When i am done with all the normal zombies and with buildings, i will make the first official release. Tomorrow i will add a beta, tough. An early one!

[center]
[/center]
Try the beta!

(Not official, fully done, ready to bake; just to show modifications)

I added a few tiles, if you downloaded the first one you may like to try this.

Downloaded it and liking it pretty well so far.

Couple of things missing that I’ve noticed though: I went to a power substation and all of the electrical equipment was just really blown-up ASCII and there was a Shocker Brute and some Technicians that were just Zs (I assume you haven’t given them graphics yet)

Oh, and I found a single odd door on a random house that was just a plus sign and didn’t have proper graphics, so that was kinda weird.

[quote=“IcedPee, post:11, topic:7696”]Downloaded it and liking it pretty well so far.

Couple of things missing that I’ve noticed though: I went to a power substation and all of the electrical equipment was just really blown-up ASCII and there was a Shocker Brute and some Technicians that were just Zs (I assume you haven’t given them graphics yet)

Oh, and I found a single odd door on a random house that was just a plus sign and didn’t have proper graphics, so that was kinda weird.[/quote]

Yeah, I was saying earlier that it looks like this is based on an out of date version of RetroDays; those things all have tiles now (in RetroDays).

Yes, I still have to merge it with the new retrodays! That will happen as soon as I get the laptop and not the PC. Why? Well, looks like my old PC’s Photoshop could not open the PSD file of RD for merging (it crashed, i don’t know why). So it will be when I get to do it! I will maybe try to do that tomorrow. But hey, a lot of thanks for the review! Makes me work on this even more.

This part in the readme included with that PSD file is important:

Note that due to the large number of very small layers in this file, while working on it I found it necessary to drop the Cache Tile Size from 1024K to 128K - and the Cache Levels from 4 to 2 - in Photoshop's settings.

The last time I tried to open it without changing those settings first (and you need to restart photoshop afterwards), I had problems too. Not a crash exactly; just severe performance problems.

This is what happens to me for extracting stuff into my messy downloads folder directlty instead of checking what is inside first. Thanks! Merging, and i guess i will have to use Tileset Studio for giving each thing their place, i guess!

Hey, thanks for the help you are giving me. Seriously!

[quote=“StopSignal, post:15, topic:7696”]This is what happens to me for extracting stuff into my messy downloads folder directlty instead of checking what is inside first. Thanks! Merging, and i guess i will have to use Tileset Studio for giving each thing their place, i guess!

Hey, thanks for the help you are giving me. Seriously![/quote]

No problem. :slight_smile:

You can use a tileset editor or you can do it manually, which is what I do; I briefly describe how I do it in one of the recent pages in the RetroDays thread.

This is beautiful!

Thanks! I’m really glad you are liking it, Riv!

I guess I will make it manually, while using the editor for other details. Now I’m struggling to get a good wall design and holes with spikes!

[center][/center]

The Floors and Walls and Chairs and Pits early access update! [size=4pt](Also, kind of a pity update… get it? because of pits. Y’know)[/size]

This one got a few more creatures and some furniture. It also got complete digging support, and i totally fell in love with how it looks like. I really encourage you to play with it to tell me your thoughts! What do you think of the walls? I am not particularly pleased with them. Maybe they need a change of pallete. I really need your opinion there, forum dwellers!

https://www.mediafire.com/?271bz6sqdt7mrxw
https://www.mediafire.com/?13limddcdhqrtf7 -Edited a few things!

NOTE: Even if i merged it with the new tiles, i still have to implement support for them, so they won’t show up. Remember that these are just beta updates! Give me time.

[size=7pt]It’s not that Lois is a paranoid hole-digging person, she just likes how they look like.[/size]

Stop slacking around and work faster! :slight_smile: