Bright Nights - What and Why?

What even is this thing? It doesn’t make my nights brighter. If it does, why is it listed under Core? Why not rebalancing? What even. Why. Explain this to me.

It’s a WiP total conversion mod that will make DDA significantly more of a scifi game when activated.
Craftable laser weapons, more pervasive tech toys, etc.

The reason it’s a core mod is that it’s planned to be a total conversion, so once it’s mature it would actually replace the dda “mod”.

1 Like

There should be an “in progress” tag, or something, though the description makes it quite clear. I had to check up on github to see what it actually was.

Currently it adds only a craftable laser weapon and easier battery recharging.

Eventually I want to add exoskeletons, robots, unrealistic mutations and weird melee weapons (not sure which kind: plasma cutters, lasers, electrified - this type of weird).
And remove a lot of the survival/simulation items (varied clothing, for example), which would conflict with the lighter theme of the mod.

3 Likes

Huh. I don’t really see the need to integrate the removal of simulation/survival items - surely that can be placed separately in the mods so as to let people choose? I mean, would it really add more work for you to keep the removal of stuff optional?

I intend to include the Generic Guns as a dependency, so at the very least the gun variety will go away at one point. Other removals could be split off.

I’m all for mods that add more to the game, but if its going to require Generic Guns, then I probably won’t use it. I quite like guns the way they are now.

We thank you, oh Monolith, for revealing the cunning plans of your enemies to us.
May your light shine down on the souls of the brave soldiers who gave their lives in service to your will.
Onward warriors of the Monolith, avenge your fallen brothers, blessed as they are in their eternal union with the Monolith.
Bring death to those who spurned the holy power of the Monolith.

1 Like

It’s a core mod, it will in theory change most stuff, even the way the game plays. I’m pretty sure that if you put this mod on it’s because you want a different experience, therefore it can be its own thing. To play cata, don’t put the core mod on. To play the bright nights mode, then put it on. It’s not an “add more”, it’s a “change stuff up” mod.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:13493”]Currently it adds only a craftable laser weapon and easier battery recharging.

Eventually I want to add exoskeletons, robots, unrealistic mutations and weird melee weapons (not sure which kind: plasma cutters, lasers, electrified - this type of weird).
And remove a lot of the survival/simulation items (varied clothing, for example), which would conflict with the lighter theme of the mod.[/quote]

Lasers Rope/whips! With failure chance of cutting off your own limbs.

Mostly this.
But also many of the changes will be incompatible with the core game: rebalancing guns to make sense would require either making all mod guns stronger than dda ones to “obsolete” them within the mod, or overriding every entry of every ammo type.
Or totally reinventing the algorithm that calculates damage and hiding the actual damage from json makers by expressing it as velocity or something like this, then having the mod define the damage formula.
Either way, a lot of work just to keep gun names.

Tell me that this is all going to take place on a gigantic city sized space station built on an inhospitable moon.

Judging by Coolthulhu comments from github I think it’ll be some sort of cyberpunk Ukraine.

Judging by Coolthulhu comments from github I think it’ll be some sort of cyberpunk Ukraine.[/quote]
Cataclysm: Anomalous Days Ahead.

A bit less STALKER-ish and more cold and drunk, but this is roughly what I’m aiming for.

A bit less STALKER-ish and more cold and drunk, but this is roughly what I’m aiming for.[/quote]

Get out of here survivor, you’re not wanted here.

Of course that begs the question: Will NPCs say “Cheeki breeki”?

Totally off-topic, but I’d love to see a total-conversion for Cata that is set in a dystopian cyberpunk city. I’m sure the engine could handle it, but that would be a huge undertaking lol.

Actually, I’d like to see any rogue-like game like cata set in a cyberpunk world… I need to look that up now…

[quote=“Wardenn, post:17, topic:13493”]Totally off-topic, but I’d love to see a total-conversion for Cata that is set in a dystopian cyberpunk city. I’m sure the engine could handle it, but that would be a huge undertaking lol.

Actually, I’d like to see any rogue-like game like cata set in a cyberpunk world… I need to look that up now…[/quote] With huge interconnected cities and lights and catwalks and dirty alleys and oh god yes please

Definitely looking forward to this.

This.

I have attempted making a total conversion mod before, it is a huge undertaking.
Good Luck!