Hey! I’m Esther, and this is the mod I’ve been working on after taking up ownership of it from its previous author, who was no longer interested in maintaining it.
Aftershock has two core principles:
- To restore old content that was taken out of the game for being unrealistic. Right now, this includes things such as the Solar Panels CBM, crafting recipes for bionics, bone armor, and more.
- To add more science-fiction and science-fantasy content to the game, which compounds onto the appeal the world had for many of us going into Cataclysm for the first time.
Aftershock is slowly growing with new content that integrates seamlessly into the main world. It includes new professions, items, map generation, bionics, and recipes, among other things.
Some current content can be found below, but some things are excluded to avoid spoilers.
- Basin - Crafted with a sheet metal and a hammering tool. Meant for catching rainwater or moving a lot of water from place to place, it can hold 50 liters of water, but doesn’t reseal.
- Crude Plating - Not an item on its own, you get this by welding sheet metal onto a vehicle as armor. It’s the least protective of any armor (including wood plating), but cheap and lightweight, and effective for its cost.
- Nutriment - These pills were common in laboratories before the Cataclysm, and weren’t secret, but they also weren’t publicly available. Though chalky and hard to swallow, they provide an entire day’s calories in capsule form, and are packed with vitamins and nutrients.
- Quilt - A wooly, snuggly blanket found in bedrooms. Very, very warm. You can also craft your own patchwork quilt using felt patches.
- Rolling Pin - Find it in kitchens, or whittle one from 2x4s. You can create dough with this using flour and water, which bakes bread more efficiently. And, more importantly, cake! You can also strap barbed wire to it for a decent melee weapon.
- Rope Lighter - A flameless, windproof lighter, specialized for outdoors use. Crafted with some copper scraps and a short rope, it lasts for a very long time (300 uses) but is much slower to use than a normal lighter.
- Vehicle Refrigerator - A new construction recipe can convert the power supply on a furniture fridge to that of a vehicle’s, and you can deconstruct it to take it down and move it. Mounted into a vehicle, this variant consumes about three times as much power as a minifridge, but holds 300 liters worth of stuff! You can also further convert it into a vehicle freezer with another construction recipe, which does the same thing.
- Verum Remedium - Adopted from Bright Nights, this panacea spawns in labs, and can cure all ills.
- Headless Zombie - Kevin has confirmed on GitHub that decapitation doesn’t canonically stop blob reanimation. The result is the headless zombie - mostly harmless, it shambles aimlessly, incapable of sensing anything around it, but it can still feel you if you get right next to it and will swipe at you. For obvious reasons, you can’t headshot it.
- Headless Horror - The evolved form of the headless zombie. Still oblivious to its surroundings, but it poses a much greater threat…
Armor & Weapons
- Daypack - In real life, high-end camping backpacks would be a Cataclysm survivor’s dream come true, with great storage space and ultralight frames. The daypack is an example of this, weighing less than a pound but holding a whopping 20 liters for only 10 encumbrance. You can find this treat in sporting goods stores or on the bodies of campers.
- Survivor Utility Belt Tweaks - The survivor utility belt can now be freely crafted between a sheath and a holster variant at no cost. The sheath holds a knife, like default, and the holster can hold a tool like a crowbar or wrench.
- Welding Mask - An alternative to welding goggles, found in the same places. They’re a very good armor, but inhibit breathing and eyesight by a large margin. You can also craft a makeshift version without needing any books that completely blinds you but lets you weld stuff.
In addition, miscellaneous content includes things like
- Restored bionic crafting recipes, and some new ones!
- Restored Solar Panels bionic!
- Restored bone-reinforced leather armor!
- Restored recipes for mininukes!
- Recipes for a bunch of items without them, like micro motors and thermometers!
- The replacement of the useless lab journal-Gustav with lab journal-Curie, with a bunch of nuclear-powered recipes!
- New professions like Technician and Linux Patron!
- New bionics like the Deployable Grenade Launcher!
- New rooms for labs, such as the weapons range!
If all of this sounds up your alley, I’d love it if you tried the mod and gave your thoughts here. I’ve made it a point to balance the mod with the main game as much as possible, and to make it a seamless integration that wouldn’t feel out of place in a regular Cataclysm.
Here are some screenshots.
Aftershock is mainlined, and is included with the base game as of build 8611.