Basic farming...because wiki is down and I'm shameless

I’m fast approaching winter. Got plenty of food, wood, and books and such to last me. But I also have a ton of seeds, and can craft fertilizer. So I’m assuming I should plant them spring day 1…But how do I do it most efficiently? I don’t have a hoe but do have a trowel. Also my neighbor’s yard is fill of dirt mounds from an earthworm, but I haven’t spotted the guy since spring. What should my plan be?

I guess getting a hoe, or if your mechanics is good, building a tractor-like vehicles to churn dirt, sow seeds, and harvest would be ideal.

Having fertilizer is definitely a plus, though. Perhaps see if you can get the earthworm to do the plowing before you kill it? Also, I think planting is dependent on ambient temperature.

Hope that helped.

May I ask where’d you find all those seeds? Blueberry bushes I assume?
Because all I ever found as loot is like 4 hemp seeds and tons of cannabis seeds which don’t grow… well, proper food.

Also, while the wiki is down, you can use this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150905212810/http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

[quote=“KliPeH, post:3, topic:10923”]May I ask where’d you find all those seeds? Blueberry bushes I assume?
Because all I ever found as loot is like 4 hemp seeds and tons of cannabis seeds which don’t grow… well, proper food.

Also, while the wiki is down, you can use this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150905212810/http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Main_Page[/quote]

Experimentals feature a gardening supply store, they tend to have plenty of seeds to build your own farm with.

Well, first of all you need some tools. The most basic setup would be a shovel (though I’d suggest a hoe for easier use), some seeds and space.

The first thing you have to do is churning up the dirt. If you have a shovel (I’m pretty sure the digging stick would also work) you can do this through the construction menu. If you have a hoe, you can do this much faster by wielding the hoe and pressing “A”.

If you have plowed some grass/dirt tiles, you can then plant your seeds. However, you can only do this as long as the temperatur is at the minimum of 10° Celsius (or the Fahrenheit equivalent thereof). It doesn’t matter if the temperature lowers after planting the seeds, but you simply can’t plant them under 10°C. Normally, temperature starts to rise up to this point after around a quarter of spring has passed, at least during sunny middays.

After that, you pretty much have to wait. If you fertilize your crops after planting them, the time they take to mature is shortened by some amount. Though I’m not sure if the investement in time and resources you need to make fertilizers is really worth it.

Once your plants have matured, you can harvest them by activating them. You’ll get some seeds for replanting and of course some usable fruits/vegetables/cereals. You’ll also get either some withered plants or some straw, depending on the crop.

If you plan on actually starting up a sizeable farm instead of just a small garden (which is useful to the point of necessity if you play on long seasons) you probably should either find or build your own farming vehicles, which can make the processes of plowing, sowing and harvesting a lot faster.

That’s perfect! Thanks guys!

[quote=“Malaxxor, post:5, topic:10923”]Well, first of all you need some tools. The most basic setup would be a shovel (though I’d suggest a hoe for easier use), some seeds and space.

The first thing you have to do is churning up the dirt. If you have a shovel (I’m pretty sure the digging stick would also work) you can do this through the construction menu. If you have a hoe, you can do this much faster by wielding the hoe and pressing “A”.

If you have plowed some grass/dirt tiles, you can then plant your seeds. However, you can only do this as long as the temperatur is at the minimum of 10° Celsius (or the Fahrenheit equivalent thereof). It doesn’t matter if the temperature lowers after planting the seeds, but you simply can’t plant them under 10°C. Normally, temperature starts to rise up to this point after around a quarter of spring has passed, at least during sunny middays.

After that, you pretty much have to wait. If you fertilize your crops after planting them, the time they take to mature is shortened by some amount. Though I’m not sure if the investement in time and resources you need to make fertilizers is really worth it.

Once your plants have matured, you can harvest them by activating them. You’ll get some seeds for replanting and of course some usable fruits/vegetables/cereals. You’ll also get either some withered plants or some straw, depending on the crop.

If you plan on actually starting up a sizeable farm instead of just a small garden (which is useful to the point of necessity if you play on long seasons) you probably should either find or build your own farming vehicles, which can make the processes of plowing, sowing and harvesting a lot faster.[/quote]

Farming vehicles? I’m curious, please share your delicious knowledges.

There’s a number of parts that you can attach to a car. There’s the plow, which turns dirt tiles that the plow moves over into tilled soil. The seed drill which will plant seeds stored in that part. And the reaper which harvests plants. I’m not exactly sure on the latter two, as I’ve mostly just used the plow which really speeds up the time it takes to till soil. For the plow just attach it to the back of a car, activate it, and drive. It has to be a working car. Dragging the plow around will not work.

Another tip is to make a ‘bike’ of sorts and just add a t-section at the end of it with plows attached, that makes the vehicle a bit easier to move around :stuck_out_tongue:

Or if you’re really patient you can make said bike and only have one plow, so you can make single rows and also have the advantage of being 1 tile wide.

Another tip is to make a ‘bike’ of sorts and just add a t-section at the end of it with plows attached, that makes the vehicle a bit easier to move around :stuck_out_tongue:

Or if you’re really patient you can make said bike and only have one plow, so you can make single rows and also have the advantage of being 1 tile wide.[/quote]

I dont suppose you could do the same with a a Light Frame, a Plow and a set of Casters as wheels, then just drag it around?

Or if you’re really patient you can make said bike and only have one plow, so you can make single rows and also have the advantage of being 1 tile wide.[/quote]

I dont suppose you could do the same with a a Light Frame, a Plow and a set of Casters as wheels, then just drag it around?[/quote]

Like Azrad told, dragging won’t work, you need to be driving the vehicle… Perhaps if you make a bicycle you could use that, but i’m not sure how it would work regarding weight.

Don’t think bikes would work either. The vehicle requires a certain speed to move while the plows are activated. First try on a three plow vehicle with only an electric motor has a very slow movement speed, and activating the plows reduced acceleration to zero. A larger electric motor, or at least a decent engine, is required to move.

Where the seed drill have to be mounted? I have one and I can’t figure out where put it in my trike.

If I recall it’s like the battering rams so it should be placed without a frame. Don’t use it, but I suppose it should be placed behind the plows.

Sooooo I churned up dirt and started activating seeds to plant them…until I got like 8 “plants” in and realized I was just eating them. Do you have to just drop them on top of a dirt mound?

Examine the farm plot, if the soil isn’t cold (early spring), then the game will ask you if you want to plant a seed.

The temperature needs to be 10c/50f to be able to plant seeds iirc. A great wearable to have is a dive watch which gives both temperature and time.

Try "e"xamining the mounds?

yep, (a)ctivating seeds will make you eat them. You have to (e)xamine the dirt mounds.

For the seed drill method, place the seeds on the seed drill, drive the vehicle, and when the seed drill passes through the farm plot it will plant the seeds. Very handy if you got a massive farm plot.