Mountable Turrets

It would be nice to see mountable turrets in the game. I guess they could be treated like a vehicle with only the ability to swivel on a given point and would only be able to move if deactivated? They could use a variety of ammo types as well.
Does anyone else think this is a cool idea? It just feels like something is missing to me when I have turrets set up outside of my base and just let them hammer anything that moves.

This is already part of the game. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really, the 9mm turrets? I thought only the NX charge rifle was a viable option.

REALLY? the 9mm one???

EDIT: THE 9MM ONE?
PLEASE SOME1 SAY YES OR NO

There’s the M249 SAW, the Nx-17 charge rifle, a flamethrower (i think), and a plasma rifle…
Have you even checked the vehicle menu before? No offense, but they’re right there.

Edit: Oh, and the M2 Browning HMG.

Yes, this is a thing.

Look next time, mate.

NO no no, you fools! He’s not talking about automated turrets, he’s talking about turrets you DIRECTLY control and drive. Or are you telling me that there is a control for taking manual control of turrets that I haven’t yet found?

What the fellow above me said, guys. I’m completely aware of the automated turrets on vehicles and the ones you can deploy. I have kept up with the development of DDA for the past year and I am an avid player. I know all about these, but I just downloaded the latest version after a 3 month break so I’m not all that sure what has been added other than what I have noticed.
Are there currently controls for manually using the turrets or what?

Ohhhhh!!! You should have specified, man.

No, there are no turrets you can “control”.

It would be a nice addition to rebalance turrets and add heavier manual controlled turrets IMO.
If I had more experience with C and C++ I would probably try to add this in myself, but I really am only experienced with programming netcode in Java so this isn’t exactly my forte.

Well if you do, I wish you luck and remember to add it to git if you think it’s good enough.

Always gotta love Git.
If I do attempt I’ll put it up in the modding section after adding to Git.

Nods approvingly

Wow! I seriously can’t believe the amount of understanding and politeness on this forum; it looked like there was gonna be a flame war here, but everyone acted maturely and politely? Am I even on the internet…?

:3

I suggested something similar a ways back.

Still think it’s a great idea.

[quote=“Sir Scarfalot, post:13, topic:5040”]Wow! I seriously can’t believe the amount of understanding and politeness on this forum; it looked like there was gonna be a flame war here, but everyone acted maturely and politely? Am I even on the internet…?

:3[/quote]

We’re a very close knit group… Except for Inad.

Posted by: FunsizeNinja123 « on: Today at 11:22:51 AM » Insert Quote Quote from: Sir Scarfalot on Today at 06:03:49 AM Wow! I seriously can't believe the amount of understanding and politeness on this forum; it looked like there was gonna be a flame war here, but everyone acted maturely and politely? Am I even on the internet...?

:3

We’re a very close knit group… Except for Inad.

And Him, the one we do not speak of…

Player controlled turrets are (admittedly poorly) implemented… to an extent, there’s only one weapon that uses it right now: The M2 Browning, which requires you to be standing in a specific tile (A window, rubble, a table, anything that you’d logically be able to deploy it on) in order to fire it. Which is why it’s recoil is oddly low, it literally cannot be fired without deploying it.

I’d like to mount your turret.
To:

[quote=“gtaguy, post:18, topic:5040”]I’d like to mount your turret.
To:
I still wish we had a forum where you can thumbs up shet like this.

@OP: What I imagine you could do is create a vehicle part that adds mounted weapon actions.
Say, you enter a 1 title frame with some kind of swiveling seat and w/e science fiction turret technology.
Using the control vehicle hotkey would do some code magic to let you fire the turret of your dreams.

More like basic military vehicle tech than any sci-fi stuff really. e.g Humvee. That M2 browning on top?
The Humvee mounting is modular and multipurpose. It can fit awesome stuff like anti-tank TOW missiles.