ASCII/Retro tilesets

I agree, and it will be done - not for version 0.9, unfortunately, but it will be done.

For now, I will be willing to add the entries for you - with the power of regex, I’m sure it will be a heckuvalot easier for me than you. So feel free to tell me something like “everything in this item file should be assigned to this tile, everything with that type should be assigned to this tile” etc. and so on for now.

It looks right now like the generic “book” icon is
"fg" : 883,
“bg” : -1,
“rotates” : false,
“multitile” : false

So I can quickly apply that to ALL book ids if you want, for example. For now.

Okay, to isolate the ids in the booklist, I’m using the following regex replacements. This should work in ANY item file.
{([^}]\n) “id” -> “id”
“id”.
"(.
)".\r\n([^}]\r\n)* -> \1\n
.}.\r\n -> nothing

• -> nothing

This will give you JUST the ids for items in that file (plus an easily deletable leading and trailing array bracket)

Then, to give that the new format:
(.*) -> {\n “id” : “\1”,\n “fg” : 883,\n “bg” : -1,\n “rotates” : false,\n “multitile” : false\n },

Which gives me:
http://pastebin.com/YdRhrAKV

Is that helpful? I can do that to whatever file you want with whatever item file you want, no problems.

I’m off to work on the video filming today, but let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help - I do have the power of scripting at my command, so if you have any bulk tasks that could be expressed in straightforward rules, I can totally do that.

I’ve finished the books part, each with the proper color. It’s everything else that needs to be done now.

But I don’t know if bulk actions are of any help here. Plus I’m reporting a number of inconsistencies in tile mode. It’s all stuff that needs to be fixed in the code.

I can modify the bulk editing above to link to a different tile based on colour - none of those code changes will get in for 0.9, and I’d like THIS to do so anyway.

I’ve resurrected from the depths of the forums to offer you my unwavering support for this HRose.

I can say that you have rekindled my absolute adoration for this game with your tileset. As soon as this is geared for official release I will be playing this non-stop. I may even muscle this into the latest release if I become too impatient.

Needless to say, fantastic work and I hope to see this come to full fruition.

If there is any assistance I may lend don’t hesitate to ask!

I’m only waiting for:

1- Code being coded.
2- Savegames with broken stuff that I can fix.

And inclusion is only waiting for tracking down the original guy this pulled from.

HRose, how much of the current thing is actually pulled from Trihook’s sheet? Can we change a few icons and eliminate any legal dependency, do you think?

Props for this tileset, it is awesome.

I like the sprites!

No. It’s just a few but with just an handful of pixels you’re not gonna “change” much.

…yeah, I can see how that is kind of an issue.

Maybe I’ll pull out the gimp this weekend and see if I can’t just replace them with something that looks good but is also different. >_>

Is the tileset shown in http://www.cesspit.net/misc/catatilelast2.gif available somewhere?

Are you fucking…?

It’s on the first page of this topic.

Its a reasonable question: the image is of the tileset before HRose made some pretty drastic redesigns (it was more simple, closer to a reflection of the ascii characters represented by tiles…)

I’m 99,9% sure it’s an 8-bit console/computer export. With that particular timescale in mind there’s no doubt someone already made use of something “original”, and with so many emulators around there’s no doubt if the “memorabilia” is free to use.
I spent a considerable ammount of time over this PNG image and it looks as if someone was playing with it, certainly not as it was seriously reworked in a way that it could be a part of a scaled (game) project. It’s a 8x8 font that uses a default of 768 bytes of video memory, if I remember correctly… so for Christ’s sake… :slight_smile:

Some references: TypeFace / Character Set Image Data
-----------------------PAGEZERO nocash C64 specs, !C64 VIC Character Sets!

2 questions:
Are you going to release the 16x16 version any time soon?
And when will this tileset be adapted to the official 0.9 version? There’s a lot of stuff that don’t have their own tiles yet, like foxes, spiders, pretty much all of the new animals, and 99% of all the new items.

[quote=“voskhod, post:96, topic:3676”]2 questions:
Are you going to release the 16x16 version any time soon?[/quote]

Never. 16x16 was an experiment done by rescaling 8x8, and 8x8 has things too crammed to look good. Try 15x15 if the aliasing is fine, or you have to go up to 20x20, that I guess is way too big.

And when will this tileset be adapted to the official 0.9 version? There's a lot of stuff that don't have their own tiles yet, like foxes, spiders, pretty much all of the new animals, and 99% of all the new items.

If I get savegames I fix the stuff I can see. Otherwise I’m waiting for code, and I doubt this will be done soon (if ever).

My Tileset Checker should scan all .json files and tell you which ones you are missing item wise. The only thing it doesn’t check is hardcoded things like rain/acid rain. But it checks all the items and monsters and vehicle parts and all that good stuff. Link in my sig.

What I need I’ve explained here: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/4236

Anything else is not useful to me.

appreciating your efforts