Android Version

Yeah I’ve noticed the fire thing too. I could understand if it was outside and it began to rain, but inside a house/cave/underground it seems to just go out on it’s own within minutes. Not even long enough to boil a canteen worth of clean water. Tried in braziers, fireplaces, wood stoves all to the same effect.

My characters tend to be lower tech types, so I normally don’t have a vehicle with a kitchen unit to use. If I had any transport it’s usually a horse or maybe a horse drawn cart. A working fire source is more crucial for someone using 1800s tech.

1 Like

In the past, the Android version was capable of toggling a virtual keyboard using the back button, and it never closed the game.

Recently, I’ve experienced a few issues with the keyboard. Backspace to delete text entry is impossible, and when I attempt to toggle the keyboard open during gameplay it closes the game instead, well, sometimes. Kind of a gamble. I know I can use the ESC action menu, but it makes playing feel cumbersome.

To get around the fire issues, you could use a charcoal smoker as your heat source in crafting. Still, yeah, not being able to have functional portable camping equipment is a little frustrating.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue with my game closing when trying to open the keyboard, also can’t seem to delete entries when changing values or renaming with the keyboard.

My solution was to buy a collapsible keyboard to pair up with my phone and use that instead of the virtual keys.

1 Like

Whenever you are experiencing an Android specific issue you want resolved, fill a proper bug report - game version, OS type and version, device model, used keyboard app, etc (the more info - the better).

Some changes were made recently to build environment and utilized libraries, so experimental version can behave differently from previous ones even if it worked properly on a test device.

Yeah, the fire thing has been an issue across many builds. Makes the early game tedious when it comes to water. It’s the reason I rarely use fires. One of these days when I have a minute I will have to make an account so I can report it.

There is one already - https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/33130

1 Like

Ah, thanks. I am not really familiar with github amd whatnot yet. :slight_smile:

Hmmmm, keeo everyone updated on when the versions are finally fixed, feels like a slow motion car crash that coukd be stopped at any moment, with just a little time.

Anyways what’s the difference between the versions?

You mean the 2 different apks? One is for ARM processors, one is for ARM64. In theory, the ARM64 version makes better use of the capacity of an ARM64 processor. Much like running a 64 bit exe as opposed to its 32 bit counterpart on a 64 bit PC.

If you’re not sure, go with ARM as it will run on your android regardless.

If updating to ARM64 isn’t working for you despite your device supporting it, you can update back to the ARM apk of the same version number. (In my experience.)

Anybody, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong somewhere, I’m just answering to the extent of my knowledge.

1 Like

Is there something up with the android version? I used to get the latest build from http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/Android/Tiles/ and it hasn’t been updated for almost 4 days now

1 Like

Huh, that is unusual. That’s where I normally get my updates as well, but it’s been a little while since I did. Normally wait around a few weeks to a month between updates, so hadn’t noticed until I saw your post.

Updates are in the github releases section here

1 Like

Thanks dissociativity!

Has there been any word on the Android 9 issues? My phone just updated and NONE of the experimentals will work. Even ones that worked before. The stable .C and .D from the play store work but any experimental version crashes after the Software Rendering “Start Game” once I hit start game.

i did a fresh install and set apps permission of storage to on. or we can ask @Malkeus haha. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know nothing of the android builds. My fingers are too big and opaque for me to enjoy the platform.

1 Like

Tried setting apps permission didn’t work. I can’t install any build but the stable since the update. I can’t go back to .D stable lol. I am hoping an update will fix it.

try this links

https://ci.narc.ro/job/Cataclysm-Android/
or
http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/Android/Tiles

that is really weird. i apologize, i do no longer have any thing to try out as that is what i did to make it work. i always do a fresh install and play first without mods to make sure that it runs perfectly. then add mods until all works. right now the only issue i am having is the slow loading when it reaches the crafting recipe line. it takes 5-10 minutes. but i believe that is because arm64 version. the armeabi-v7a version does not have this problem to me before however, it just crashes the game, fresh install or not.

2 Likes

I appreciate the effort! Still no luck but at least the latest versions install but still the same issue with the back command closing game instead of opening keyboard. Its strage that the .D stable and .C stable work fine but none of the experimentals work now. I tried almost every one available on the jenkins page.

(Came back from a hiatus)

Let me add some findings to the discussion, if that helps.

The arm64 version works just the same before I went into my hiatus from the game (2-ish months), the armeabi version just crashes it before I can even start. Fortunately I don’t experience any problems except for a crash that happens when I travel for too many overmap tiles without saving the game occasionally in the travel.

Btw, the version I have is 0.D-9770.