For anyone experiencing the garbled text bug, I’ve found a fix (or at least a workaround). Turns out it’s an SDL hardware acceleration bug that only presents on certain Android devices. I’ll roll out the workaround in the next update, but if you’re desperate to start playing now, you can either delete the gfx folder (/sdcard/Android/data/com.MichaelDavies.CataclysmDDA/files/gfx) and just play in ascii, or you can enable software rendering and it’ll work. To turn on software rendering outside of the game, create a file options.json here:
And put this inside it:
“info” : “Use software renderer instead of graphics card acceleration.”,
“default” : “Default: False”,
“name” : “SOFTWARE_RENDERING”,
“value” : “true”
One caveat I’ve discovered with the software renderer is that you can’t rotate the screen once the game starts or the screen goes blank. This appears to be another SDL Android-specific bug (awesome!) but I’m going to see if I can at least fix that for the next release, or failing that simply lock the screen to landscape so it’s not an issue. I think 99% of people would be playing in landscape anyway given the UI layout of the game.