Android Version

Alcatel pop c7, 512 RAM.
Crashing after unpacking, debug log is empty. Out of memory? Where can i check?
Saaaaaaad.

Btw, great work, dude.

[quote=“a1studmuffin, post:12, topic:13348”]There’s one bug I’m looking into at the moment which has happened on a handful of devices only. There seems to be something wacky going on with the text printing:

World create screen:

It seems like the game is running fine, but when it draws a window + prints text, certain characters are repeating several times across multiple cells (and obscuring other characters/cells in the process).

I haven’t changed any of this code from the desktop build, so my gut feeling is it’s perhaps an uninitialized value somewhere in the window/text printing functions that’s fine on desktop and most devices by chance, but not on a handful of these Android devices.

If any of the CDDA devs have any thoughts on this I’m all ears - I’ll keep looking at it on my side though I can’t repro it on my device or on my Genymotion emulators so it’s a bit tricky to track down, might have to enlist the help of someone testing it and dump out some logging info.[/quote]

Having the same problem, phone is a Huawei Honor 5X model KIW-L24.

Won’t run at all. Opens on black screen, says it’s not responding after ~10 seconds.

Sony Xperia S.

[quote=“a1studmuffin, post:12, topic:13348”]There’s one bug I’m looking into at the moment which has happened on a handful of devices only. There seems to be something wacky going on with the text printing:

snip[/quote]
Getting that every time I start, too.

Note 4 N910F on 6.0.1

I don’t know why but if I unpack ,RFFSound" into ,sound" folder Cata doesn’t work. Any solutions?

Kevin: Thanks for the kind words! I must say the codebase compiled for Android remarkably well once I got the makefiles set up correctly. There were a couple of minor issues with missing standard library functions, and I’ve made a few fixes in #ifdef ANDROID blocks. When I get it all up on GitHub I’ll see if there are some sensible pull requests to be made back to mainline, but really the majority of the work was just all the hackery I did to add the touch controls, so I don’t think it will be too painful going forward if I just continue to pull latest down every now and then.

hatcher: Yeah the crash will be due to not enough memory, it needs about 400-450MB free, sorry!

Adragis029: Have you tried leaving it on the black screen for a while (like a minute or two)? It currently takes quite a long time to start up without any feedback during this period, I’m working on fixing that for the next version update. (Edit: Just checked your phone specs, with 1GB RAM it’s possibly out of memory depending on how much the OS is using up. You could try manually editing config\options.json and set Use Tiles to false.)

I haven’t tried that soundpack specifically, but I managed to get the ChestHole soundpack working fine - does that one work? It could be a memory issue otherwise.

Hey, its me again.

I launched cata (kinda) successfully.
For some reason, extractor doesn’t creating configs, so, i copied my config folder.
After that, finally, i’ve seen main menu window.
Greetings from Mother Russia.

Yeah, it just doesn’t work after several minutes.
I’ll try the configs thing, I never use tiles anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I can’t find options.json. I think files aren’t copying properly?

edit: just deleted the gfx folder, works now and i set it to ascii

Thanks for the update, great to hear it’s running now. That’s a good plan B for a lot of people too, I’ll be sure to include that in the FAQ. The reason the config file doesn’t exist is because it’s created by the game on first run, so if it’s not getting that far it won’t appear. But I didn’t think of deleting the gfx folder to force it to use ascii, nice one.

Well now. This is quite nice. I’ll poke some buttons for you.

So far so good running on a Xiaomi Redmi. It boots better after removing the gfx folder.

Yeah currently that black screen on startup is where the game is loading in the tile sheets, applying effects + splitting them up into individual tiles in memory. I might be able to optimize that flow a little bit, though I think most of it will have to sit behind a progress bar unfortunately, it just takes quite a while on Android to do that stuff.

Its already working ~5 times faster, than Cata launched from Exagear (wine emulator)
15 sec. loading, holy huck.
You’re my hero.

Thank you for making this, it sounds brilliant. I have a problem, though.
I downloaded the APK and moved it from my computer to my tablet (a Fire 5th Generation) then installed it. When I attempt to boot the application it stays on a black screen for about 10 seconds then returns to the home screen with the list of applications. What am I doing wrong? Is my tablet just not powerful enough to run it?

All shits aside, I am SO happy that there’s finally an Android version. Now I can finally kill zombies away from my computer!

[move]Not like I haven’t been doing that already IRL… I mean wait what?[/move]

[quote=“mentos046, post:34, topic:13348”]Thank you for making this, it sounds brilliant. I have a problem, though.
I downloaded the APK and moved it from my computer to my tablet (a Fire 5th Generation) then installed it. When I attempt to boot the application it stays on a black screen for about 10 seconds then returns to the home screen with the list of applications. What am I doing wrong? Is my tablet just not powerful enough to run it?[/quote]
It could be out of memory - it needs about ~400MB free to run. One trick you can try is deleting the gfx folder here: [pre]/sdcard/Android/com.MichaelDavies.CataclysmDDA/files/gfx[/pre]
This will force it to use ascii and not attempt to load any tilesets into memory.

Top fucking shelf my man! Runs fine on ASUS zen phone 2

Whoops, forgot to mention my phone in case it’s pertinent, Galaxy Note5, runs better than on my laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it possible to play in landscape mode?

Yep, just turn your phone the right way around. It does warp the screen a bit if you pull up the onscreen keyboard, though.