"Air-Drops", "Chemical Breakdown and Re-creation", "3D Printing", and more

That’s my job.[/quote]

Haha! xD

Oh god… I just had a horrible thought… NPCs decked out with armor and weapons on par with the player. Oh god…[/quote]

Well, as this mod stands these NPC’s are quite a ways away…(psst oh, and they don’t really exist :stuck_out_tongue: its just for the sake of immersion :stuck_out_tongue: lol)

I’m requesting this of every coder that takes suggestions.

Vehicle in Vehicle nesting, or the ability to tow vehicles.

Turt, thats outside of mod realm. that would require core code changes.

[quote=“Turtlicious, post:22, topic:6885”]I’m requesting this of every coder that takes suggestions.

Vehicle in Vehicle nesting, or the ability to tow vehicles.[/quote]

Well I agree that this would be a fantastic feature, it is beyond me at this point, I’ve never jumped into actual coding and honestly I wouldn’t call myself a coder (just FYI I don’t class writing JSON and RAW text files as coding, even if it is the definition lol) and don’t even know much about scripts or compilers, it’s safe to say that my skill in that field is less than novice :stuck_out_tongue:

Which feature should get the most attention next?
Balance damnit!
Or remake this stupid huge tons of food. Do this: raw food, flags like “can boil, can bark, can stew, seasoning, etc”. Auto generate recipes in code from base raw templates in depending from weight, volume. Make result nutrition and enjoyable based on cooking skill and tools quality. Make synonyms for some food, and few result after crafting. For example: boiled meat gives boiled meat and meat broth. Boil vegetable in meat broth = meat broth with vegs. Add cut boiled meat to meat broth with vegs = meat soup with vegs. Etc.
Or make pockets on clothing. Do this: items consist not in player::inventory, but in weared cloth/armor and if you drop backpack you drop all that in it.
Air-drops, 3d printing? For what? You can open debug menu and select “wish item”.

[quote=“Reaper, post:25, topic:6885”]Which feature should get the most attention next?
Balance damnit!
Or remake this stupid huge tons of food. Do this: raw food, flags like “can boil, can bark, can stew, seasoning, etc”. Auto generate recipes in code from base raw templates in depending from weight, volume. Make result nutrition and enjoyable based on cooking skill and tools quality. Make synonyms for some food, and few result after crafting. For example: boiled meat gives boiled meat and meat broth. Boil vegetable in meat broth = meat broth with vegs. Add cut boiled meat to meat broth with vegs = meat soup with vegs. Etc.
Or make pockets on clothing. Do this: items consist not in player::inventory, but in weared cloth/armor and if you drop backpack you drop all that in it.
Air-drops, 3d printing? For what? You can open debug menu and select “wish item”.[/quote]

Does someone else want to reply to this :stuck_out_tongue: lol

I love the airdrops and the future human profession and the idea for the chemicals.

[quote=“Reaper, post:25, topic:6885”]Which feature should get the most attention next?
Balance damnit!
Air-drops, 3d printing? For what? You can open debug menu and select “wish item”.[/quote]
I’m going to break this down while I’m here:

1. Things like meat are completely generic, making recipe changes like that unnecessary. However, tools are being moved to have a “quality” in categories that determines if it is good enough for a recipe.
  2. A chunk of meat is a specific sized chunk of meat taken from an animal. Animals already give varying quantities of chunk.
  3. The crafting system currently doesn’t support multiple outputs. That is a major CORE coding change that, last I checked, isn’t even being worked on.
  4. The devs are on the ropes about making storage like DF. As such, nothing will be doe on it until we get a consensus.
  5. Many people don’t like debugging, as it is the definition of cheating, but also find the game extremely difficult. Don’t be a dick.

I’d change my vote to “make something new” but that’s toooo laaate nooow.
I keep dreaming of a gun/weapon assembly screen. Length, weight, attachment points, materials… tricky, fun stuff. Everything can be modified, EVERYTHING CAN BE AWESOME!

[quote=“Daidalon, post:28, topic:6885”][quote=“Reaper, post:25, topic:6885”]Which feature should get the most attention next?
Balance damnit!

1. Things like meat are completely generic, making recipe changes like that unnecessary. However, tools are being moved to have a “quality” in categories that determines if it is good enough for a recipe.
  2. A chunk of meat is a specific sized chunk of meat taken from an animal. Animals already give varying quantities of chunk.
  3. The crafting system currently doesn’t support multiple outputs. That is a major CORE coding change that, last I checked, isn’t even being worked on.
  4. The devs are on the ropes about making storage like DF. As such, nothing will be doe on it until we get a consensus.
  5. Many people don’t like debugging, as it is the definition of cheating, but also find the game extremely difficult. Don’t be a dick.[/quote]

4 is possible but Gonna Take Some Doing and nobody’s been up for it. :-/

Not longer than two days ago I saw code being submitted on the git about a rewrite of certain functions that were still using the inventory letter instead of the inventory position. Now, I’m not an expert, but I would think that to change the inventory to use partitioned storage, you would first need to have a decent abstraction for it all. It’s a bit doubtful that that’s the case, so, even if I like the idea, I’d say it’s far from getting done.

Nevertheless, and even though I don’t personally like any of the ideas in this post, I think saying there are more important things to develop is a weird thing to say. It’s bad logic to think that because one dev is doing something unimportant, the rest of the devs are not doing other important things. And that’s without even mentioning that what you consider important may well not be what anyone else thinks is important.
It’s better to have consensus than to make the game tailored to a certain kind of gameplay, I think.

[quote=“KA101, post:30, topic:6885”][quote=“Daidalon, post:28, topic:6885”][quote=“Reaper, post:25, topic:6885”]Which feature should get the most attention next?
Balance damnit!

5. Many people don’t like debugging, as it is the definition of cheating, but also find the game extremely difficult. Don’t be a dick.[/quote]

4 is possible but Gonna Take Some Doing and nobody’s been up for it. :-/[/quote]

In theory, granted I haven’t looked at the code in about 2 years, it wouldn’t be too terribly hard to get the storage working as most of the framework already exists and a quick change to item pickup could make it less tedious. HOWEVER, making it more than a massive pain in the ass to search your inventory would require some massive changes.

Also, some additional messages would be needed to explain to people how carrying around 13 pouches doesn’t make your broadsword fit into any of them.

[quote=“Daidalon, post:32, topic:6885”][quote=“KA101, post:30, topic:6885”][quote=“Daidalon, post:28, topic:6885”][quote=“Reaper, post:25, topic:6885”]Which feature should get the most attention next?
Balance damnit!

4 is possible but Gonna Take Some Doing and nobody’s been up for it. :-/[/quote]

In theory, granted I haven’t looked at the code in about 2 years, it wouldn’t be too terribly hard to get the storage working as most of the framework already exists and a quick change to item pickup could make it less tedious. HOWEVER, making it more than a massive pain in the ass to search your inventory would require some massive changes.

Also, some additional messages would be needed to explain to people how carrying around 13 pouches doesn’t make your broadsword fit into any of them.[/quote]

Ignore Reaper. He wants too many things, sadly.

I feel now I’ve opened Pandora’s box by stating “post any suggestions or things you’d like to see in this thread”, which I really meant tweaks or additions to what I already have here, frankly I don’t understand where reaper was coming from with any of that, as none of that has anything to do with what I’m making here :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Besides, the votes so far looks like people want “my” air-drop system fleshed out a bit more or neatened up, so I’ll get to work :slight_smile:

[quote=“Duros, post:34, topic:6885”]I feel now I’ve opened Pandora’s box by stating “post any suggestions or things you’d like to see in this thread”, which I really meant tweaks or additions to what I already have here, frankly I don’t understand where reaper was coming from with any of that, as none of that has anything to do with what I’m making here :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Besides, the votes so far looks like people want “my” air-drop system fleshed out a bit more or neatened up, so I’ll get to work :)[/quote]

It’s ok. Reaper wants waaaay too much stuff for your skills.

[quote=“Duros, post:34, topic:6885”]I feel now I’ve opened Pandora’s box by stating “post any suggestions or things you’d like to see in this thread”, which I really meant tweaks or additions to what I already have here, frankly I don’t understand where reaper was coming from with any of that, as none of that has anything to do with what I’m making here :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Besides, the votes so far looks like people want “my” air-drop system fleshed out a bit more or neatened up, so I’ll get to work :)[/quote]
People frequently see any request for suggestions as permission to bring out their favorite game complaints, whether it fits the topic or not. Please don’t let it get you down :slight_smile:

…I feel insulted :wink: lol

…I feel reassured :stuck_out_tongue: lol

…I feel insulted :wink: lol[/quote]

That’s my job.[/quote]

[size=18pt]Time to make a decision.
[/size]

I’ll start a new poll once I’ve gotten a few working concepts together but right now these are the ways I’m thinking of going, sort or a crossroads, I COULD add all of these options in a way I hope you’ll find as an interesting workaround, but I’ll get to that in the last paragraph :stuck_out_tongue: lol

(NOTE: In all options seen below the “Licence” will just be a paper sheet that gives permission to certain air-drops and they won’t be used up, and the drops will be tiered in design, so starting class licences will only have access to raw materials, more on this later though)

This is a crossroads, and this needs addressing :slight_smile:

[size=18pt]Choose one of [color=blue]Part A[/color] and one of [color=yellow]Part B[/color][/size]

[size=18pt]Part A
[/size]
Option 1:

Make it so you’ll need a radio (and batteries) as well as a signal flare AND a licence to order in crates, licences will be “crafted” using quite a lot of raw materials and can be used repeatedly and infinitely but have a VERY high initial cost. So each drop just needs a radio (and one battery) and a single flare, and the licence just needs to be on hand but isn’t used up (more of a huge investment deal, but in the long run not very realistic)

Option 2:

Make it so you’ll need a “special radio” which uses licence “points” as charges as well as a signal flare AND a licence to order in crates, licences will be “crafted” more or less for free but the licence “points” will be crafted using a few raw materials and drops will take a certain number of these “points”, as more expensive air-drops should cost more. Think of this option as like a “credit based” option. (Most realistic to me by far)

[size=18pt]Part B[/size] (independent to either options in part A and working with either option, these next two options regard the actual acquisition of the licences to be used)

Option 1:

To upgrade your licence you need to gather a certain amount of resources (and have the lower tier of licence) this allows players to simply upgrade to the tiers when they can afford and on demand. This avoids the “grind” of option 2, but once reading option 2 you’ll see the drawback of this choice as far as “realism” goes, but it does allow a player that can afford it to boost themselves right to the top class tier of licence.

Option 2:

To upgrade your licence you need to have received a certain number of drops from your current class of licence, although this MIGHT result in the player having to order in things he/she may not necessarily need, it would give more of a steady progression instead of just letting a player with loads and loads of raw materials rushing to the top class tier of the licence system) Think of this as a “reputation” based system, as if a faction would send crates of micro-nukes to some random person the first day they make contact, regardless if they could afford it)

[size=10pt]!!Potential to have ALL options!![/size]

I’m tempted to try to write a few “skill books” that will unlock one of the possible 4 combinations seen above, this will limit the already mounting clutter in the crafting screen, but will also give the individual more choice :slight_smile:

Please let me know what you think :slight_smile:

[size=18pt]Answers to be submitted by reply of “A1 and B1” (as an example) yet feel free to elaborate any ideas, thoughts or tweaks in your replies :)[/size]

[size=14pt][glow=green,2,300]
Oh, and please don’t quote this WHOLE post in your replies…thanks :wink: lol[/glow]
[/size]

Hmm. I like option B on part A, but I’m not sure about either on part B.