NBC mod returning

TL;DR Working on gasmask mod again and it will be better this time, framework already done and tested but on old experimental version, let me know if this is still a good idea. No links yet, sorry.

I know I posted only once or a few times, if anyone remembers my ‘Gas mask and NBC suit rework’ thread, and it seems that my efforts have disappeared into the mist, but it only seems that way. I may also post in The Toolbox section, because I honestly have no idea what I’m doing. I’m learning though, and you will be able to tell an improvement in the quality of it. The mod last time was very proto stage and unpolished, didn’t work the way I wanted it to.

I have been working on this mod intensively, mainly reworking my messy code and trying to slim it down into packs of various things. Breaking it up from a single megamod into small standalone modpacks, for NATO gasmasks, WP gasmasks, military surplus SCBA, hazmat suits, handmade/survivor masks, as well as a modpack for craftable and discoverable bugout bags that have gasmasks inside. Also a megamod that includes all of this together so you don’t have to download ten different things.

It’s easy to get sidetracked from this project and wind up working on other mods. If it is interesting enough I will try to get it finished soon. I have a lot of completed mini mods that add various stuff, if anyone is interested, like handloaded silver bullets, 40mm and throwable fungicidal grenades, that sort of thing.

Anyway, I fixed the issue of the masks not deactivating when filters are used up. Now the filter drops off the mask when it’s used up, making a smoother action. If I could assign a hotkey to swap filter or attach new, that would be ideal. That will be a separate thread in the Toolbox section I suppose though, a lot of things I want to do with this mod, I’m not exactly sure how to implement.

I have to redo the entire crafting trees for the components, since fixing the main issue broke the crafting in a different way. Also have to add the survival, XL, and handmade versions masks. plus some balancing. As soon as that is done, I will be releasing a base mod test using the GP-5 gas mask, although I have been testing it extensively myself.

For a few experimental builds it was broken completely, I have been testing it on 6706, but I just got latest experimental (7782 at time of this post) and will see if it breaks anything I have done so far.

2 Likes

Sounds impressive. Will be keeping my eye out.

Lot of personal stuff happening, but still working on this. Have completed the spawning list (finally), but crafting still a nightmare, no survivor craftable masks yet. It works though, I haven’t tested on new(er) experimental, it worked fine on 7782, though that build itself was broken. When I’m at mod machine I’ll zip the file and toss link here.

Still bogged down by which masks get the XL flag for mutants. I think to simplify, since real world masks be difficult to wear on tentacled or bug mutant face, the XL masks only be for the survivor crafted masks, to preserve balance.

Maybe a very, very rare horse gas mask, and less rare size 4 shm helmet mask with the XL flag, as those really exist, though hard to find in the US. Most NATO mask will have the XL flag added, because of adjustable straps on the actual mask, but tradeoff be NATO masks hard to find, especially in good condition. All of the NATO mask come later, I know a decent bit about WP masks, not so much Western masks. Barebones testing packs soon, very soon, probably within three weeks. I think waits will be worth it.

1 Like

Sorry for bad English, my friend is not with me for better translating.
Here is very watery test version, not a lot of feature, but functions. last test and works on build 8609.

NBCmod 09.2

It has GP5 mask, ShM mask, M40 mask, 4A1 mask, PBF ‘Gorilla’ mask, and lot of special suits and small extras. Spawn lists work, but maybe broken for corpse spawn, can’t remember. Check static location like surplus store or pawn shop until better mod version, in case no corpses drop mod items. Sorry no crafting masks yet, filtration media is working for crafting though, to reload filters.

NOTICE masks must be active with button, attach filter does not actively the mask to work, only reloads.

NATO gas mask do not work with Warsaw filter and vice versa. ShM mask is only black GP-5 mask from military kit, new flavor texts and attachment hose for ‘coffee can’ filter EO-16. Attachment hose can be used on regular GP-5 as well, it does not break use of small filters, in case you only have small canisters and need breath while in the gas.

PBF mask must be removed and disassembly to take expired filters, even in real life use this must be done, so intentional extra step.
Mask filters can store in fast hand places as gun magazines, like chest rig, for quick access when bloat corpse explodes. I want to restrict ‘filter bag’ and ‘large filter bag’ items for holding only mask filters after kit disassembly, not sure to how though.

Very unpolished and not suitable for long term release, soon as return to mod machine, more items will added, plus balancing. Crafting fixed, but not good as I want, and parameters for masks need adjustment, game does not use normal measurements for time or size. Many filters and mask are removed this version. I have much content written, but it is not working correctly in game yet.

1 Like