Add Bandits

This is a mod that does just what the title states: It add people (some with guns) into the game who try to kill you. Simple enough. This mod was mostly just a test to see how this whole modding thing worked out, but then I decided to pour more time into it, and here we are.

This mod adds a new faction of human enemies who generally spawn within the cities or around potentially useful buildings outside of them. Better yet, they grow in strength over time much like the zombies and hopefully provide a constant challenge in the cities that’s a little more different than the average stuff you’d normally run into.

The key here is that a great deal of these guys are toting guns, so it might throw off the balance a bit. Just a warning. If you have any pointers on how to balance these guys out more, I’d be more than happy to hear them.

Download is here. You’ll find two folders and a couple readme’s. To start, choose which of the spawn lists to use: the one titled "gov_spawn_list"is for my standalone mod, in which case simply plop that file into the “bandit_mod” folder and place that into the :data>mods folder. Or the one titled “pk_spawn_list” if you’re using PK’s rebalance mod, which I usually do, in which case just overwrite the old list with this new one. Then add the “bandit_mod” folder into the :data>mods folder. Once you’re done with that, you’re all set to go.

As for the future of this mod, I do want to try my hand at adding buildings, maybe a bandit leader, and look into how “DOGFOOD” and “PHEROMONE” work to see if we could get some disguises or mercenaries in the future. Until then, enjoy the mod and if you have any tips, criticisms, or feedback, I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. Happy Huntings.

2 Likes

oh hey neat.

3 Likes

This was pretty fun. Rolled this up with a man-at-arms from the medieval mod, immediately had bandits outside my shelter. Turns out their gunfire bounces off of armor, so they got clocked pretty fast. Encountered the Armored Bandit too, he held his own against a mob of zeds before I showed up, he probably killed eight or ten of them and didn’t look to be stopping.

My only suggestion would be to get these guys some sort of icons for the tile sets, they are just text in Mshock32Modded. Otherwise, its nice having to keep my eyes open for more enemies with guns, I don’t like NPC’s because they are pretty irregular and stupid, and at least spotting these guys I immediately know I’m in for a fight.

1 Like

Will this work alongside artyoms gun mod?

Edit: Seems to work fine with it. Anyway to have the bandit spawn rate not related to zombie spawn rate? Running into looters everywhere and the cities are nuts. I like it a lot though, good work fam.

[quote=“Profugo Barbatus, post:3, topic:11526”]This was pretty fun. Rolled this up with a man-at-arms from the medieval mod, immediately had bandits outside my shelter. Turns out their gunfire bounces off of armor, so they got clocked pretty fast. Encountered the Armored Bandit too, he held his own against a mob of zeds before I showed up, he probably killed eight or ten of them and didn’t look to be stopping.

My only suggestion would be to get these guys some sort of icons for the tile sets, they are just text in Mshock32Modded. Otherwise, its nice having to keep my eyes open for more enemies with guns, I don’t like NPC’s because they are pretty irregular and stupid, and at least spotting these guys I immediately know I’m in for a fight.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about tilesets, I’ll just finish up my work on buildings and see just how that stuff works. If you ever run into the late-game guys let me know, I didn’t have a chance to test them with melee a whole lot so I’m kinda interested in how they’ll work.

[quote=“RipRoarinBoogerPenis, post:4, topic:11526”]Will this work alongside artyoms gun mod?

Edit: Seems to work fine with it. Anyway to have the bandit spawn rate not related to zombie spawn rate? Running into looters everywhere and the cities are nuts. I like it a lot though, good work fam.[/quote]

I am having a tad amount of trouble balancing their spawns out, at first they were everywhere and more of a horde problem than the zeds, but later attempts spawned about one per city, so I’m still fine tuning the stuff. I want them to be kinda rare, but still a meaningful presence, especially in the late-game, without being combat gods right at the get-go. That’s turning out to be a bit of a tricky balancing act, but I guess that comes with the job. Anywho, I’m glad you like it and thanks for the info.

1 Like

annoyance: Get shot by looter - kill looter - pick up gun -NO MAG. if it doesn’t have a magazine, how did he shoot me?!

Christopher

1 Like

[quote=“kd8qdz, post:6, topic:11526”]annoyance: Get shot by looter - kill looter - pick up gun -NO MAG. if it doesn’t have a magazine, how did he shoot me?!

Christopher[/quote]

Loot is pretty random. I tend to kill lots of people who only got magazines, or no ammo. Just assume whatever you did to kill them also proceeded to smash up the gun. Bandits aren’t very smart about maintenance. The Cataclysm is pretty unlucky like that.

1 Like

[quote=“kd8qdz, post:6, topic:11526”]annoyance: Get shot by looter - kill looter - pick up gun -NO MAG. if it doesn’t have a magazine, how did he shoot me?!

Christopher[/quote]

This would suck. But of course they may have had revolvers? :wink:

yyy… Cheeki Breeki?

Christopher[/quote]

I’m pretty sure when they added mags they gave you the option of individually chambering rounds manually for every shot you take when you don’t have any mags, turning magless guns into very loud bows. That’s a thing you can do in real life, shoving single bullets into the part where the casings usually fly out. Was he shooting really really slowly? He was probably doing that.

Does this mean they evolve like other creatures in terms of better gear and specializations (types)?

This should be an updated list of my spawns. I think I got all the bandits in.

Download

This mod didn’t work for me. I followed your instructions for putting it in, but it gave me a bunch of error messages and the content didn’t work.

Don’t mean to necro but I love the mod so far, I used a file merger to merge it with PK re-balance and that works for me, just copy all the mentions of bandits from one list onto the more recent one to keep all the PK features.

Are you still working on it? Major thank you for getting it this far.

Someone was having trouble so here you go.

Download the full PK mod and replace the default one that comes with DDA before replacing the spawn list.json with this updated file instead of the one that comes with cataDDA
I’ve merged this with that and so far its working good for me.

http://www.filedropper.com/pkspawnlist

Otherwise install it normally, dropping the Add_Bandits mod folder into your mods etc.

I’ll probably update the list when the next version of PK comes out, if anyone is interested that is.
I assume mod-author is dead and I can’t do much sans mess with values he’s already created at the moment. I’d like to add onto this but I don’t have the time to really practice modding cataclysm.

A decent tutorial/tools would help people without time like me immensely but anyway, enjoy the updated list. Tell me if it works for you

I’m considering adding bandits to some places in the overmap rebalance mod so small gangs of bandits can set up shop in looted houses rather than the middle of a zombie filled city to simulate them having cleared out some space and made a little home for themselves but I do like the infighting even if it can lead to them partially clearing a space for you or shooting you in the back while you run from a hoard.
Would anyone be interested in a merger with that mod? If not I’ll keep it for myself only.

Good day, Anon420.

That’s a great idea. I fumbled around with some hostile npcs for “trapped” houses. With the integration of this mod, it’s much easier. Thank you for this idea!

Sincerely

Leon

I like how they can spawn 2 or 3 well-equipped bandits into a city full of zombies so that I can sit back and watch the carnage from a safe distance and see who will win, but I really like your idea for creating some spaces for bandits to really dig into the world. I don’t use PK’s rebalance mod, but I would be interested in seeing your idea come to fruition in general, especially outside of PK’s mod.

omg real bandits with customizable loadouts?

Id love that.

I love love love this mod, this is my favorite mod far and away, hands down. I really wish it was pred on github into the game, nay, mainlined, it is so freaking awesome. Do you need help getting it in the list of mods that come with the game?

I did tiles for it, because it is awesome and I love it so much.

does the link in the op work without pk’s rebalance mod?