Acid proof thrown weapons, anyone?

To someone who like to throw a knife or something at the monster, don’t you realize those monster who can splash acid when they died or wounded, just melt you thrown weapon just a little annoying? I mean, a 5 throwing knife was make a few time, and you just lost them on a few sec?

can’t we just make some material to create a acid proof thrown weapons? after all a thrown weapon dosn’t deal very much damage, and you need to pick it up anytime you throw out, right?

glass is acid proof IRL, but would likely shatter/ tape used as hand-guards degrade and need replacing Though I would definitely be happy with glass throw-able weapons GLASS KNIVES!

[spoiler= ALLishy the Acid resistant(proof) materials]Metallic acid-resistant materials include wrought and cast high-alloy steels; nickel-, copper-, and aluminum-based alloys; and certain pure metals, such as nickel, aluminum, copper, and lead. The use of titanium and its alloys has promising possibilities. Zirconium, tantalum, and niobium and their alloys are used in especially critical structures. The oxidation-reduction properties of the medium (redox potential), the nature of the anions, and the concentration and temperature of the acids are taken into account in the selection of metallic acid-resistant materials. In oxidative media, materials have been used successfully that form films of a chemical compound with highly protective properties upon reaction of the aggressive medium with the surface (stainless steels, nickel-chromium steels, aluminum and its alloys, titanium, and high-chromium or silicon cast irons). Over-passivation of stainless steels and nickel alloys occurs in strongly oxidizing media. Metallic materials used in reducing media should be highly stable thermodynamically. These materials include copper, nickel, nickel alloys containing molybdenum (has-telloys) or copper (Monel’ metals), titanium alloys, and alloyed molybdenum. Weakly oxidizing and weakly reducing media require the use of chemically complex alloys and steels alloyed with metals that will increase their ability to inhibit corrosion and raise their thermodynamic stability. These materials include high-alloyed nickel, molybdenum, and copper; stainless steels; nickel alloys with admixtures of chromium, molybdenum, and tungsten; and titanium with small amounts of palladium.

Nonmetallic acid-resistant materials are classified as either organic or inorganic. Among the inorganic materials, polymeric acid-resistant materials are being used increasingly. They include faolite, polyvinyl chloride, polyethylene, polypropylene, polycarbonate, and Teflons. Teflons are distinguished by the highest degree of chemical stability; they are not broken down even in strongly oxidizing media. The materials mentioned are used for the production of sheets, pipe, rods, and custom shapes. Many of these materials may be readily welded, cemented, and fiberglass-reinforced. Graphite and graphites impregnated with resins are used as acid-resistant heat conductors. The inorganic acid-resistant materials include acid-resistant ceramics, cast stone, glass, quartz glass, cermets, asbestos, porcelain, enamels, caulking materials, concrete, and cement.[/spoiler]

or for easier reading: Here

gold is resistant to acid, reinforcing blade with gold is doable for survivor but this will quickly get damaged (gold is soft, quickly will lose sharpness) and weight is not this same too but higher weight should give better damage or armor penetration

but so is copper, aluminum, nickle, and titanium and they are much lighter so less unbalancing of weapons.
Also… Copper is. Someone add higher acid resist to all the copper things. And/or make it so copper & copper weapons do not dissolve in acid.

copper is soft too but harder than gold and its not that durable to acid like gold but its durable enought to be effective weapon

Hmm. Copper could work then, might need to buff the acid resistance on it?

and other listed metals/materials I think. Though as mentioned in parallel thread. Cata uses a future SUPER acid for all things cough spitters cough that disolves things normal acid would not. But yes I would have to say bumb up their acid resist a little if they are not already.

Your classic video game acid, basically. Though I wonder what ye olde hydrochloric acid would do if bumped up to higher concentrations, since that’s the likely candidate for what acidic zombies are producing.

Examining the list for new materials to implement would work, but looking at what existing in-game materials would work would also…well, work. o3o

since by making the acid more realistic is nerfing it maybe make other weak attack extras more strong and closer to realistic levels. Im thinking bring up effectiveness of poison to do more than JUST pain…checks wiki to double check this… oh nvm poison looks properly balanced, though maybe add nausea.

OK that’s it, I’m going to remove the item melting thing if no one beats me to it.
Probably replaced with something that just causes pain and a small amount of damage to living targets, but I might just remove the item melting bit and leave it for later to replace it with something new.

Eh? I’m fine with items melting, but maybe it could be nerfed.

I do find the fact it dissolves zombies corpses to be useful, but for inorganic materials, it could use nerfing. Maybe if there was a way to implement corrosion that could degrade but not destroy materials, for example. Adding an “item HP of this material can’t reach 0” effect would be a bit gamey, but a good way to mitigate player frustrations.

Likely would be annoying to code.

I wouldn’t mind seeing acid resistance actually implemented and having acid damage be reflected in the item’s condition. But that gets into the weird issue with burnt items.

^^^ this. I would be happy with materials of afore mentioned materials being acid resistant enough to withstand being the item that kills 2 acid spitters (barely maybe) before degrading so hard it melts into nothingness. All I ask is I not lose copper, glass, wood and(maybe later) via 1 acid spit/death splatter. Let everything else stay the same/same-ish or make it a mainlined mod like slow/fast zoms etc… Think that would be perfect.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:10, topic:10658”]OK that’s it, I’m going to remove the item melting thing if no one beats me to it.
Probably replaced with something that just causes pain and a small amount of damage to living targets, but I might just remove the item melting bit and leave it for later to replace it with something new.[/quote]
Throwing weapons are DISPOSABLE, all ranged weapons are ultimately disposable!

Hell, every item in the game is ultimately disposable, there is absolutely NO justification for removing the ability for acid to dissolve them, It’s a hazard, it’s supposed to cause more risk and suffering than mere hitpoint damage!

copper
acid resistant
You can dissolve pennies in fucking vinegar and salt, don’t feed me some bullshit about ‘acid-resistance’ you pulled off a Wikipedia article comparing very specific crystalline structures and alloys! Even low duration exposure will render a copper knife weapon little better than a green rock as the ‘protective malachite coating’ ruins any useful sharpness the item may have had!

Sure, the malachite coat will protect it for a little longer, but the addition of salts (almost certain to be present in organic derived acid mixtures we’d see from zombies) will make the reaction inevitably proceed. The important consideration of salts ruins even aluminum’s resilience (notable for being one of the few materials to contain Chlorine Triflouride, perhaps the most dangerous acid on earth) once again, the addition of salts present in a dirty organic mixture ruins the application.

If you want meaningfully acid resistant materials consider wood, glass and plastic, it’s that simple.

Don’t look at me, when I added copper as a material, I didn’t make it any specially corrosion-resistant. -w-

[quote=“Belteshazzar, post:14, topic:10658”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:10, topic:10658”]OK that’s it, I’m going to remove the item melting thing if no one beats me to it.
Probably replaced with something that just causes pain and a small amount of damage to living targets, but I might just remove the item melting bit and leave it for later to replace it with something new.[/quote]
Throwing weapons are DISPOSABLE, all ranged weapons are ultimately disposable!

Hell, every item in the game is ultimately disposable, there is absolutely NO justification for removing the ability for acid to dissolve them, It’s a hazard, it’s supposed to cause more risk and suffering than mere hitpoint damage!

copper
acid resistant
You can dissolve pennies in fucking vinegar and salt, don’t feed me some bullshit about ‘acid-resistance’ you pulled off a Wikipedia article comparing very specific crystalline structures and alloys! Even low duration exposure will render a copper knife weapon little better than a green rock as the ‘protective malachite coating’ ruins any useful sharpness the item may have had!

Sure, the malachite coat will protect it for a little longer, but the addition of salts (almost certain to be present in organic derived acid mixtures we’d see from zombies) will make the reaction inevitably proceed. The important consideration of salts ruins even aluminum’s resilience (notable for being one of the few materials to contain Chlorine Triflouride, perhaps the most dangerous acid on earth) once again, the addition of salts present in a dirty organic mixture ruins the application.

If you want meaningfully acid resistant materials consider wood, glass and plastic, it’s that simple.[/quote]

oh ok no copper then. Wtf was that article on about then >.<

No idea. Maybe you read something about bronze maybe? It tends to be more usable after a bit of corrosion than iron. XP

Here
this was it^ YOU look at me and tell me wtf is wrong with it. I thought it odd that so many metals were listed.

Acid-Resistant Materials Warning! The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

In Soviet Russia, throwing knives forge you? o3o

guess so