.6 new stuff

Technically, they already work like that; bows ‘reload and fire in the same action’, which means that you load the bow, then fire it, every time you shoot. This is a core mechanic for that sort of weapon, so you don’t need to manually hit r to load it: it’s just assumed that you’re loading when you try to fire, because you need to load before every shot.

Technically, they already work like that; bows ‘reload and fire in the same action’, which means that you load the bow, then fire it, every time you shoot. This is a core mechanic for that sort of weapon, so you don’t need to manually hit r to load it: it’s just assumed that you’re loading when you try to fire, because you need to load before every shot.[/quote]But you can have a “loaded” bow by nocking an arrow, then simply drawing and firing later. Of course, this can also all be done in one action. However, the former would save some time in a pinch.

Recoil in guns is caused by the barrel of the gun restricting the flow of energy from the explosive launch of the bullet. [...] Recoil would make zero sense.

Aye, I’m aware of the “equal and opposite force” issue that causes recoil. It’s not my intention to say that a bow suffers an identical physical phenomenon (at least not significantly). However, there are many details which cause a loss of accuracy in archery, which for the purposes of fun could be reasonably simulated by recoil.

Again, from experience: clenching the handle too tightly, which changes the direction of the limbs as soon as you release; allowing the string to slide across your fingertips during release, which will twist the string; allowing your arm to droop ever so slightly during release, which may be even more likely depending on how you draw the bow; poor or no use of anchor points - spots used to ensure that your form is consistent from one shot to the next (such as having the string cross the face in the same position each time), which is going to be even more important for accuracy if the homebrew bow isn’t equipped with a peep sight in the string and a set of pin sights on the limbs.

When you can take the time to make your shot, these aren’t going to hurt you… much. But if you’re rushing to spam arrows at an approaching Jabberwock, chances are good that your accuracy would suffer. And that could be reasonably approximated in-game by calling it “recoil” and moving on. It’s down to what the devs like, really.

As to chafed hands - well, there are leather finger tabs for that (and release aids, which take your fingers out of the equation entirely, and they are awesome). I find it’s more likely that while spamming arrows, you’ll slap your arm with the string - which throws the shot and can give you a nasty blood blister down the length of your arm. This is why you often see competitive archers wearing an arm guard. I never use an arm guard personally, because I’ve seen blood blisters that start higher up the arm than where the guard is, which means the string would’ve caught on the guard and caused a more serious injury. Considering the mosquitoes where I live, I just wore thicker sleeves and controlled them with rubber bands if necessary.

I noticed how everyone has been talking about archery and as op, i would have to ask how the criticals and headshots work. on another note, a person in reinforced power armor would laugh at most archers and slowly walk up to them and “hug” them to death for i doubt most arrows have the peircing capability to stop someone in power armor,
on the note of power armor i think in reality if they had that and cbms then i think they would probably make power armor compatible CBM that could probably reduce the encumbrance of the power armor even more or charge your ups device with the extra charge, or have an CBM: Ups, in case theres a problem with exploits of infinite batteys. on even another note, where do batterys go when they get used? do they just evaporate? more ways to recharge batterys would be nice

For reference, metal arrows have 7 AP and explosive arrows have 9 AP. About the same as a shotgun slug, a .45 Super or a 5.56 NATO.

I don’t know if that would punch power armor as I’ve never met an NPC wearing that, but it kills skitterbots and zombie soldiers handily. Even non-exotic critters with HARDTOSHOOT die before getting close. If anyone knows where I can find a tankbot, I’d be interested to try taking one out with arrows. :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh, it always did, probably just more pronounced now.

[quote=“youtoo, post:34, topic:1913”]Changes I like:
– more complex bow stuff. like how you made plastic bags useful for fletching
– cant cook rotten food. bastards. my favorite scum technique. Suggestions: make rotten food leave the game if you cant use it. i dont like running to strawberries and such to see ‘rotten’ and it has no use.
– let us use the plastic bags to make fletching without having to ‘arm bag of potatoe chips’ and then ‘U’ to unload. that isnt real clear.
– some form of way to keep food longer. i know we have beef jerky, but what about a smoker? is there a way to make artificial cooling? such as vacuum seal food in a box and bury it ? dont know.[/quote]

There’s a more recent change that makes long-rotten food disappear.
For the bag thing, I think you can do i->item->U, but that still probably doesn’t do what you want. do you mean have bags with stuff in them be eligible to be used for crafting?
Preservaton techniques include Cooking, making jerky, vacuum-sealing, and canning. I hear a long work feature is getting close to completion, which means more food preservation techniques will become possible.

I think something like the ‘(’ button to disassemble, but to unload instead would be great. I hate having to do the ‘i’->item->U route, especially when I have a lot of things to unload.

[quote=“vache, post:47, topic:1913”]I think something like the ‘(’ button to disassemble, but to unload instead would be great. I hate having to do the ‘i’->item->U route, especially when I have a lot of things to unload.[/quote]I second this suggestion. Further, I would like options to specify a number of items to unload (or disassemble) if they are stacked, as well as a quick option to unload (or disassemble) the entire stack. If such capability exists already, I failed to figure it out.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:46, topic:1913”]There’s a more recent change that makes long-rotten food disappear.
For the bag thing, I think you can do i->item->U, but that still probably doesn’t do what you want. do you mean have bags with stuff in them be eligible to be used for crafting?
Preservaton techniques include Cooking, making jerky, vacuum-sealing, and canning. I hear a long work feature is getting close to completion, which means more food preservation techniques will become possible.[/quote]

Yes I think bags with stuff in them should be elligible for crafting. just have the stuff be removed. Or have a way to unload lots of stuff at once. It is not intuitive to have to ‘wield’ an item and unwield it. We should probably add a note to the wiki on this and something in the intro in the help file of the game. non-coders can do this since you guys are really busy.

By preservation: how about refigeration efforts? food spoilers slower in winter. any survivalist/end of the world crazies on this forum who can give us techniques to build this stuff? On that note, I think I may post a link to this game on some of the whacko end of the world forums. they might like it and give us ideas.

how stable are the nightly releases? I like the .6 release, but the broken leg thing is a bit tough. Splits don’t work yet. Hospital near me does not have an eyebot. This has slowed me down alot. I am still playable, but its a big difference. It looks like its relatively easy to break limbs in .6 (I like this), but relatively difficult to fix it since all features are not implemented.

supposedly in the nightly splits are implemented. Out of curiosity how stable do these tend to be?

[quote=“youtoo, post:50, topic:1913”]how stable are the nightly releases? I like the .6 release, but the broken leg thing is a bit tough. Splits don’t work yet. Hospital near me does not have an eyebot. This has slowed me down alot. I am still playable, but its a big difference. It looks like its relatively easy to break limbs in .6 (I like this), but relatively difficult to fix it since all features are not implemented.

supposedly in the nightly splits are implemented. Out of curiosity how stable do these tend to be?[/quote]

I’m playing the experimental now, and no crashes even though I’ve got other stuff running and I sometimes take long to do stuff.

Generally the nightly builds are just as stable, if not more stable, then the official releases. There are a few exceptions when we miss an error and the game doesn’t run for a little while, but usually these get fixed extremely quickly. The one drawback to using nightly builds is that save compatibility breaks fairly often, so if you want to keep updating every few nights then you will often need to make a new world.

Wow a lot of OP bow talk.
My view really is The bow IS op, but not in the way you all are thinking.

theoretically in a real zombie apocalypse a bow is a Great weapon.
silent, reusable ammo, and with practice easy to fire.

Its just a good weapon for this kind of scenario, almost rivaling guns.
I guess if you feel it is to op game wise though… maybe make it so its nerfed agents armored enemies a bit more.
I really don’t see a bow taking out turrets or police robots any time soon. hell it would have a harder time taking out army zombies too. (if there wearing armor)

I do like some of the ideas in this thread though like making it harder to make steel arrows etc.

The way I see it, bows should be bound by all your physical stats, so only characters that heavily prioritize their stats should be able to use them to their fullest potential. Strength should add to damage and reload speed, for instance, instead of merely being required to use certain bows… that way, Archery would be pretty solidly the domain of the strong and dextrous hybrid character, since you’d want good melee stats and good ranged capability to use them… instead of just merely good perception, like the gunslinger. As is, it feels too easy to just pump perception, grab a couple points of strength, and go to town murdering everything.

It depends on how thick the armor is, I know that at the archery range I go to someone with a compound bow with a 60lb draw put a carbon fiber arrow through 2 sheets of ~1/8th inch/ 3mm steel even though he hit it at roughly a 45 degree angle. (This was entirely unintentional, he bumped his release with the bow pointed a bit too high and hit some generator fan thing on the ceiling.) Granted that’s not armor grade steel, but it still demonstrates the penetrating power of a bow.

Though the main issue with destroying something electrical or mechanical with a bow is managing to hit something vital inside the target.