[32x32] MSX DEAD PEOPLE Tileset

As has been pointed out before, individual users are only stopped from getting the files from somewhere else to put in new updates by their own conscience. I’m not going to point out ‘how’ in his thread but it’s super obvious.

At least for now, I guess game structure and content changes could make old tilesets stop working in time.

There’s nothing “suspect” about their work, no matter what the powers at be may say. SDG, you’re mine until I find something better, and I haven’t found something better so far, since I’m not a hip ASCII bubba like others are.

1 Like

You didn’t read correctly.
Nobody is saying SDGs work is suspect.
This goes way back when to the import of a tileset called Raga that had the suspect tiles, which chesthole and mshock were derived from and MSX was derived from mshock.

This is nothing to do with SDG.

“The powers that be” never said it was.

2 Likes

You know how it goes, a couple experimentals later a new type of flower/furniture/whatever will be added (which is welcome, obviously) and instead of some sweet pixel art a coloured letter will be sitting on the screen, like how it went with chesthole.

Some people can do ASCII just fine, I just love the way this tileset made the game look

1 Like

We’ve got the “looks-like” field now, so the only reason this would happen is laziness. Sure, variety is going to suffer over time and new stuff won’t match it’s description very well, but there’s literally no reason to have an ASCII character on the screen.

But…but its not going to ever been theee sammmeeeee :sob::sob::sob::sob:

Thanks for all the fish SDG. This was an excellent tileset that I used all the time. Good luck.

5 Likes

Worse comes to worse, it would be possible to make a non-infringing clone of this tile set by making similar but distinct replacement tiles, yes?

1 Like

Sure keep all tiles that were added by SDG and replace everything else.

Yes. As soon as someone identifies all the infringing tiles and the non-infringing tiles, and I finish a mess of Python scripting, it’ll be possible to selectively remove the infringing tiles.

2 Likes

This tileset is the best, I will be using it for a long time even if that means some ASCII figures or unintuitive images.

Hope you’re okay SomeDeadGuy. I have loved using your tileset for a long time now, so hopetully some of these guys (who know what they are doing) can sort something out to carry on your amazing work.

Thanks bro, and all the best… :smiley:

3 Likes

90% complete on the Python scripting https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/34299; it’s probably sufficient for people to start pulling apart existing tilesets and renaming the sprite files and stuff.

7 Likes

MSX-DeadPeople tileset with most of MSX removed from the main tileset file. The tile_config.json is not edited though.

5 Likes

why is the tileset gone?

1 Like

A copyrighted sprite (image which you see in-game) was included into the tileset.
A pure coincidence that led to a terrible downfall…

To be clear, the copyrighted sprite(s) were included in the tileset that MSX Dead People then used as a start. SomeDeadGuy (who developed MSX Dead People) had nothing to do with that original tileset.

2 Likes

And whats the news for now?
Is the tileset coming back or is it gone forever?
I love this tileset over every other!

1 Like

I havent read anything from SDG here nor anywhere else I frequent, sadly.

SDG stated that he wasn’t interested in working on tilesets until a system to make tilesets easier to work with was ready to use.

I believe mlangsdorf is currently working on that right now.

You’ll just have to wait to see what happens next. (Like the rest of us)

5 Likes