0.A-2214: Crazy cold temperatures?

I recently updated to the latest version, and now every game I play has incredibly cold temperatures on the first day. It starts at -6 C and mostly goes down from there. I’ve just hit -16 degrees celcius in my current game, and it’s still going down! Surely this isn’t intentional?

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:4634, topic:42”][quote=“latogato, post:4633, topic:42”]I just began to play again, downloaded the 2160. build.
It is spring, 2. day and snowing… Is this intended?[/quote]

Calm your tits, does it magically stop snowing imminently at twelve o’clock up north when it’s the spring solstice IRL? I don’t think so.

(You have no idea who many times this has been reported as a “bug”)[/quote]

That’s good to know, but i’m talking about the actual air temperature, not how cold my character is or whether it’s snowing or not. If it IS intended for it to be -16 degrees in the springtime, well, i’ll deal with it, but that is pretty ridiculously cold. For reference, the average temperature of New England in winter is -4 to -6 degrees. Is there some kind of crazy climate shift going on as a result of the cataclysm?

It’s a system that’s still under flux that is, as you said, almost certainly adjusted to be a bit too extreme right now.

By design you’re getting the “feels like” temperature reported instead of the actual air temperature (how would you get the latter without a thermometer anyway?)
Does it change if you go inside a building?

I’m about to necro my post about thermometers so bad… ; )

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:6, topic:7543”]By design you’re getting the “feels like” temperature reported instead of the actual air temperature (how would you get the latter without a thermometer anyway?)
Does it change if you go inside a building?[/quote]

Ugh, more interface screw. Ok, well that makes more sense, but its unintuitive as hell, and I don’t know how I would ever have figured it out without asking. I figured that the “feels like” factor was what the Warmth indicator in the character info menu was for. It seems really weird for the temperature indicator that shows a precise, real-world value to be influenced by what i’m wearing. I don’t like to complain, I love the game and everything you guys do for it, but half these recent features seem pretty much designed to trick people into posting bug reports…

Yep, our favorite thing is to get bug reports.
Care to suggest something better?

make a sticky saying that cold weather is half a bug and half a feature.

If the temperature number is a “feel” temperature, just drop it entirely. Make it display actual temperature when you have something with a thermometer, like an actual thermometer, a fancy survival wristwatch, or a PDA. The number is pointless because it misinforms the player, when there is already a “feel” temperature displayed in descriptive text.

There should also be messages that explain when your exposed bodyparts are chilled by wind and precipitation rather than just air temperature. If not periodic status messages like we have for frostbite warnings now, then at least a character-status point, like we have for being wet.

+1 for thermometer idea and documenting a) the warmth numbers b) the fact the temperature is a “feels like” thing