Your Shoggoth and You (mild spoilers)

But consider standard video game logic, where shooting any explosive, regardless of if its specifically designed not to explode when shot, will make it explode. Because all video game explosives are so highly unstable that by rights they should go off when looked at wrong.
Now apply that to a nuke.

In the newer experimentals you can pack a 30 gallon drum with a certain explosive compound…

It has a 20 turn count down, so you could set a few up and daisy chain their explosion to vaporize it.

a big help for dealing with shoggoths are the various drugs. with meth and cocaine you can get enough moves in to do damage it can’t heal. I was able to kill one with a ferromagnetic rail rifle and drugs for example.

I have no idea what the point of even trying to kill a shoggoth might be.

last time I killed one it was because I had set up a base in a lab and didn’t want the constant noise.

Encountered one on a previous playthrough. After that one, I made sure to keep the freaking containment doors shut forever. It wasn’t that hard, but figuring out a plan on the fly was tedious.

So first, I had a nodachi and good skills concerning the weapon, plus I had ninjutsu. If I do a critical hit, I’d do around 130-150 damage, allowing me to slowly chip at it despite its regeneration.

On the other hand, I wasn’t sure if it was due to being stunned since it was moving erratically, or I’m swinging the nodachi hard enough to throw him a space away. Either way, it pretty much meant me having to walk to it, leaving my crits null and void thanks to that, plus the fact that non crits can go as low as 20 damage.

The disector would do some damage, but once again I had trouble with the nodachi tossing it around. It’s been stunned so much I haven’t even taken a lot of damage at all. A few dents in some of my armor, and that’s about it. I tried making it go slower by luring it around the tables, but it still kept moving erratically.

So, I went with my last idea. Pin it next to the second containment console. Just to be sure, I moved some chairs around that area in case they’re needed. Dragging the chairs took some time, but since all I gotta do is hit it a couple of times and it’d just waddle around and not attack me, it was easy enough. Then I lured it to the spot, and realized that adding a locker would be better.

The setup was this: console, to the right of that is the chair and the shoggoth, which I eventually put in that spot by randomly hitting it with the nodachi. Above the chair and to the right side are walls. Below the shoggoth is my player, and to my right is a locker.

Since it’s trapped in one space, I can hit it without having to move around. Just to make sure, I fire up the hydraulic muscles CBM and light the chair up with the mini flamethrower. It took a ton of hits to kill it after that, and only after a lucky break with multiple crit hits in a row.

I may have had an easier time if I used some meth, as I came across some on the journey to that lab.

But seriously, after that encounter, those doors stay closed. Freaking closed.

(on the other hand, my current playthrough has my new character based above ground on a lab. I’ve been liking that lab base, and soon enough I’d like to clean the lower levels)

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:1, topic:8677”]…But now I feel like a monster for trying to kill it
No… I have to set it free. It’s the only way, isn’t it? It’ll be free AND cleanse the world of its wretchedness. Handy. How do I get it to the surface?[/quote]
In a non-catadda sense, you are insane. Completely and utterly. It would cleanse the world on not just wretchedness but also divest it of its skin, muscles, nerves, organs, bones, etc etc etc.

Just for reference.

In a game sense though, I find liberal application of MOAR DAKKA to be quiet effective.

[quote=“saltmummy626, post:27, topic:8677”][quote=“BeerBeer, post:1, topic:8677”]…But now I feel like a monster for trying to kill it
No… I have to set it free. It’s the only way, isn’t it? It’ll be free AND cleanse the world of its wretchedness. Handy. How do I get it to the surface?[/quote]
In a non-catadda sense, you are insane. Completely and utterly. It would cleanse the world on not just wretchedness but also divest it of its skin, muscles, nerves, organs, bones, etc etc etc.[/quote]
Haha, well sadly I feel the same as BeerBeer when it comes to shoggoths and various nether beings- I feel compelled to release them from their confinement since the poor fellas have probably been tormented by scientists and are now caged up. I’d feel like a jerk if I were to leave a thinking being locked up in a tiny room for who knows how long.

Also, I must say that I can’t help but save every gracken I see from the zombies. Don’t know how evil grackens are non-dda wise (are they even non-dda?) though.

Google search lists DDA wiki as first result.

I recall reading that they were supposed to be NPC-like, just never got finished.

Whoa… that would’ve been glorious had they ever been fleshed out; it would be awesome to go on adventures with best buds Gracken 'n Kreck.

Tried out a new way to kill a shoggoth. Kinda tedious but the actual battle went faster than going for melee.

First, I had a strength of 20 thanks to a granade (though due to a previous granade, and INT of 11 which was 14 before). With that strength, I carried down engines that wasn’t higher than my max weight limit… so I pretty much carried them one at a time, for a total of four engines. This was done quickly enough since my base is on the ground floor of the lab.

I set it just outside the shoggoth’s containment cell. I opened the door up, took a step back, and when the shoggoth reared its ugly head… or heads, I let the electromagnet rip. It took two magnets to kill its ugly face, but it did work.

I’ve heard good things about granades. Are the bonuses permanent or do they wear off?

Totally permanent. Although from what I’ve read I think you’re more likely to get your stats wrecked rather than buffed.

Whoa… that would’ve been glorious had they ever been fleshed out; it would be awesome to go on adventures with best buds Gracken 'n Kreck.[/quote]
Grackens were apparently a nod towards Pro starcraft player IdrA originally. At this point though they are pretty far past that C:DDA-wise, we’ve kinda taken the lore on them off in a new direction. :stuck_out_tongue:

See also: grack cocaine.

1 Like

I always tried to kill at least one shoggoth before escaping the lab - to test character’s abilities before venturing outside.

Best results were from katana (killed NPC for it) & ninjutsu. Kicked it down to the door of brute contaiment and hacked to death. Combination of rapid and precise strikes works very good.

I have also a vague memory of killing one using Muai Thay, during another lab escape.

Sliced Shoggoth apart with Monomolecular Blade.
I got lucky and found RM13 armor on one of the dead scientists in the field. It was almost totally thrashed, but i levelled up mechanics and managed to weld it back together.
Also i have disassembled some of the Power Storage CBMs, just to get plutonium. In a powered up RM13 armor and Monomolecular Blade CBM beating up Shoggoth was too easy…

Tried Rivtech caseless weapons on it- useless waste of ammo.

during defense gameplay i fight nether only creatures, with hydraulic muscles, ump and with some .45 ammo its possible to kill it with burst from smg (muscles decrease recoil) but that was before new gun mechanic

Granades. Granades + boxing.

Why? Because boxing gives bonus damage based on dexterity.

*Note: This character is so seriously broken it’s not even funny, but that’s what happens when you carry one over for 5 4 game versions and abuse mechanics to maximize profit.

Seriously though, have you tried a small yield thermonuclear warhead? Labs sometimes contain those. In fact use more than one just to be safe.

The heavy rail rifle with steel rail seems to be enough to kill the shoggoth. With a fully loaded rifle, it took around 6 rails. Normal damage goes at about 100 and crits reach around double that.