Your Shoggoth and You (mild spoilers)

Having trouble killing one. My first time down in a lab. I’m probably currently not equipped to deal with a Shoggoth but I was wondering if there’s any exotic or special ways to deal with them. Here’s what I’ve tried so far.

• Lured it on a burning tile. Either it’s immune to fire or it heals faster than the fire damages it.
  • Emptied my tazer into it. At least it got stunned for quite a while (over the burning tile, might I add). Couldn’t kill it though and/or didn’t want to waste my AK bullets either, not after shooting a burst into it for nearly no effect.
  • Thought it might need oxygen, so I trapped it into a closed room and started a fire there. Smoke and/or carbon monoxide is irrelevant to Shoggoth, just like my attempts to destroy it.

Would it die if I lured it on a dissector? Or would it just eat the dissector?
What if I tazed it and placed a lump of C4 on it and ran? It doesn’t consume items if it’s stunned… right?
Does Shoggoth retain the properties of the materials it absorbs? What if I have it absorb a gasoline puddle and THEN tried to burn it?
I feel like I should lure it somewhere but where?
…But now I feel like a monster for trying to kill it, when it hasn’t even really done anything to me. I think it even tries to talk to me as it mimics or echoes past convos, which is amazing, even if it drove me crazy when I thought there’s someone alive in the lab. What if it’s just lonely? Also, I accidentally stepped onto the same burning tile that was meant for the Shog and it’s totally its fault that I got my feet burned. Totally. Should… should I just let it live? Is it supposed to be a pet after all? Follows you everywhere: check. Eats or tries to eat everything: check. Tries to communicate or cuddle up with you: check. What if it thought I was trying to feed it when I shot a burst into it from my AK? What the hell am I going to do with it… Lock it up again in the darkness of the empty lab and leave it there forever? No. Not with this empathy.

No… I have to set it free. It’s the only way, isn’t it? It’ll be free AND cleanse the world of its wretchedness. Handy. How do I get it to the surface?

Read the shoggoth’s in-game description. It hates you and wants you dead, so it probably doesn’t want to cuddle up or communicate to you.

1 Like

For in-depth instructions on how to deal with a Shoggoth, please see “At the Mountains of Madness” by HP Lovecraft.

1 Like

Lure it to the surface and hop in your trusty co-dependent automobile, then zoom away.

When you have done this, find a nuclear launch silo (this may take several weeks of exploration; they are extremely rare). Hack the computer (robots will try to kill you if you fail, so, um… succeed!) and turn the lab and everything around it into a 5x5 radioactive crater :smiley:

Alternate methods include…
-ramming it with a heavily armored, spike-fronted vehicle at 100+ miles an hour. Remember, your loyal car likes slaying, just like you!
-becoming an unstoppable god of death (10+ dodging and melee) and hacking it to pieces with a high-damage melee weapon and dangerous narcotics. Chainsaws and cocaine mix GREAT, varoom varoom!
-stockpiling a few dozen rocket launchers and using all of them on it in quick succession. Cocaine will help with this, too!
-luring it into a corridor lined with high explosives and gasoline and setting it off with a rocket launcher… it’s LIKE nuking the site from orbit, but you get to watch up close. But not up TOO close :3

But none of those are as fun as nuking the site from orbit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nuking it is a waste of a missile. I prefer to shoot the missile with 20x66 explosive rounds from my short shotgun and collect the ~150 plutonium cells.

Am I the only one who does this?

1 Like

That’s… that’s horrible. How could you do that to a poor innocent nuke? D:

All it wanted to do was vaporize monsters! Is that so wrong? T.T

1 Like

[quote=“Rhodri, post:5, topic:8677”]Nuking it is a waste of a missile. I prefer to shoot the missile with 20x66 explosive rounds from my short shotgun and collect the ~150 plutonium cells.

Am I the only one who does this?[/quote]
I’ll do that if I manage to find a second missile. The first I’m going to launch somewhere and damned be the consequences.

Yes, because you don’t get to take their precious loot out of their dead cold… paws.

[quote=“Rhodri, post:5, topic:8677”]Nuking it is a waste of a missile. I prefer to shoot the missile with 20x66 explosive rounds from my short shotgun and collect the ~150 plutonium cells.

You mean it doesn’t blow up?

Whaaaat.

when I see shoggoths I typically unequip my current weapon and start training unarmed, then after a few hours of hitting it I just put back on my weapon and hit it until its dead

…Yeah well there’s that… But isn’t it cute when it looks at you with sociopathic hatred?

[quote=“Aluminumfoil, post:4, topic:8677”]Lure it to the surface and hop in your trusty co-dependent automobile, then zoom away.

When you have done this, find a nuclear launch silo (this may take several weeks of exploration; they are extremely rare). Hack the computer (robots will try to kill you if you fail, so, um… succeed!) and turn the lab and everything around it into a 5x5 radioactive crater :smiley:

-ramming it with a heavily armored, spike-fronted vehicle at 100+ miles an hour. Remember, your loyal car likes slaying, just like you!
-becoming an unstoppable god of death (10+ dodging and melee) and hacking it to pieces with a high-damage melee weapon and dangerous narcotics. Chainsaws and cocaine mix GREAT, varoom varoom!
-stockpiling a few dozen rocket launchers and using all of them on it in quick succession. Cocaine will help with this, too!
-luring it into a corridor lined with high explosives and gasoline and setting it off with a rocket launcher… it’s LIKE nuking the site from orbit, but you get to watch up close. But not up TOO close :3

But none of those are as fun as nuking the site from orbit ^_[1]
I’m still flabbergasted and in disbelief that there are nuke silos in this game. Unless it’s a lie. You wouldn’t lie to a stranger on the internet, would you? I see there’s a wiki article for missile silo, so that either makes its existence true or even a more elaborate lie. 8D

I’m still uncertain if creatures can be lured between z-levels aka floors. I wouldn’t know. Even so, if Shog doesn’t come to the car, the car will be brought to Shog… in pieces, constructed underground… Oh God… I have a .50 cal and some ammo stashed away I’ve been waiting to use… M-maybe I’ll even dismantle the bullets and make some incendiary rounds or something… Maybe I’ll bring just the .50 cal, and build a single frame just for it.

Man… This game :slight_smile:

1. /quote ↩︎

Wait wait WAIT.

THE THING DROPS PLUTONIUM IF SHOT? WHY HAS nobody told me that before???

And I actually thought that nuking rural New England was the reasonable choice.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:11, topic:8677”][quote=“Rhodri, post:5, topic:8677”]Nuking it is a waste of a missile. I prefer to shoot the missile with 20x66 explosive rounds from my short shotgun and collect the ~150 plutonium cells.

Wait wait WAIT.

THE THING DROPS PLUTONIUM IF SHOT? WHY HAS nobody told me that before???

And I actually thought that nuking rural New England was the reasonable choice.[/quote]

Great, now I have to weigh my desire to cause insane amounts of Chaos with my desire for bionic power…

Did you try throwing rocks at it?

You’re questioning why you would get plutonium out of a nuke if you shot it.
Im questioning why the fuck would you shoot at a nuke in the first place?
That couldn’t have ever seemed like a good idea.

“Oh hey, a nuke. Better rip this thing open with some shotgun slugs and loot it’s delicious plutonium”

[quote=“SeigeLion, post:14, topic:8677”]You’re questioning why you would get plutonium out of a nuke if you shot it.

“Oh hey, a nuke. Better rip this thing open with some shotgun slugs and loot it’s delicious plutonium”[/quote]
Well… nukes are pretty save, untill you arm them… You don’t really want them go of if someone bumps them accidentially, would you? But SHOOTING at them… well that’s a bit extreme, you COULD do it as long as you don’t hit the parts that initiate the explosion. And I can also imagine that using explosives is a VERY bad idea… Unless you want a nice green and glowing future! :smiley:

[quote=“Aluminumfoil, post:4, topic:8677”]Lure it to the surface and hop in your trusty co-dependent automobile, then zoom away.

But none of those are as fun as nuking the site from orbit ^_^[/quote]

Also arrows seem to work fairly well. I don’t think there is anything in the game I’ve been unable to kill with a full quiver of arrows, though the dancer came really close.

Line a corridor with teleporters (also found in labs) and lead an army of zlaves in with you. Hope for a telefrag!

[quote=“Darkfirephoenix, post:15, topic:8677”][quote=“SeigeLion, post:14, topic:8677”]You’re questioning why you would get plutonium out of a nuke if you shot it.

“Oh hey, a nuke. Better rip this thing open with some shotgun slugs and loot it’s delicious plutonium”[/quote]
Well… nukes are pretty save, untill you arm them… You don’t really want them go of if someone bumps them accidentially, would you? But SHOOTING at them… well that’s a bit extreme, you COULD do it as long as you don’t hit the parts that initiate the explosion. And I can also imagine that using explosives is a VERY bad idea… Unless you want a nice green and glowing future! :D[/quote]

You’d be surprised, nukes are designed to not go off until a precisely timed electric charge sets off all the explosive plates at once. If you shoot enough of the plates you can damage it in a way that renders the nuke incapable of going critical and ruining A LOT of days. Of course, you’re probably still dead if it goes off at this point, but at least it’s only to a conventional explosion.

Ooh! I like zis one although IDK what a telefrag is… Never stepped on a teleport trap. Disarmed a few though. For some reason this reminds me of lava. Must get Shog on a lava tile. Maybe I’ll try stepping on a lava tile first, just to see how much it burns… If I get a Shog on a lava tile, maybe I’ll taze it there if it doesn’t burn to crisp immediately. Can I… Can I displace monsters? I think a brute once pounded me against the wall, hurling me back several squares. What sort of strength would one need to punch a Shog so hard that it is displaced onto the adjacent tile? (which would ideally be a lava tile) Lava doesn’t count as wall, does it? I mean, I could step in it if I insisted, just like smoke or dissector?

Secure a Mr. Stem Cell first and bring a leg brace for the experiment if you actually go through with this.