New Monster - Shook

The shook is a small mostly non-hostile nethercreature, it’s back covered with fine bristled fur. It almost vibrates with abundant energy, and sniffs at the air frequently as it scurries back and forth. It will follow the player at a distance, but will not attempt to attack them. It will attempt to devour a wide variety of small items, especially meats, vegetables, and plastics, that it sees lying on the ground. If the player is asleep, it may try to eat items from their inventory.

The shook will flee if exposed to fire, loud noises, or is attacked in any way, but may return if it senses the danger has passed.

Does it drop anything? Any weird butcher meats?

So…basically a food and gear deleter.

Ugh. Nthx.

When we split its carcass open, does it contain random undigested loot like the skags in Borderlands?

Yes, it should totally store any recently eaten items as well as a random assortment of small metal things which you can retrieve by cutting it open.

…If true… Does this mean I can chain one to my vehicle…?

Or ram it with your bus. :smiley:

In meta: Living container that disassembles stuff given enough time?

Feed it your radio; collect misc electric components.

I kind of like this idea. Even more if it has method of breaking trough barriers (maybe slowly and noticeably) so you always have to have eye out for these things and their taste for everything that is precious for you.

Great, Omnivorous Imps.
Now for the nethermutations, can we befriend it after all?

They could have some extremely useful feature… like - since they have nethery essence in them they could replicate things they eat (they consume matter in multiple dimensions blah blah) - so feeding stuff to this creature might net you another one (or even multiples). Or you could end up losing that thing. Due the extradimensional quality of their digestive track things get disassembled rather than “melted”.

Also they could come in many flavors; colors and sizes. Colors indicate roughly what kind of items they prefer to eat (tho its just preference, they all do eat everything, they just ignore most of the times things they dont prefer) and size how big bite they take.

These things could have two behaviour patterns. One is “consume” where they eat the whole thing and start to digest them. Other is “bite” when they just damage the thing they are interested in. Biting happens when they are not hungry. They just taste things…

I really like the concept but its description is not creepy enough to fit with other nether creatures IMHO

The great thing is that the nether doesn’t really care about your opinion, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. The nether creatures aren’t specifically the creepiest things from a human perspective that the nether has to offer, sent here to torment the survivors. They’re just… you know, the things that came here from the nether. The fact that we see them as nightmares is totally our problem. They don’t care. It’s not like they’re designed to scare, that’s just how they are.

Improvements to description are much appreciated!

Really? Lets get the printing press strated

How about if they live in symbiosis with nether parasites…

A sparsely furried monkeylike creature, its numerous hands flinch and twist as it relentlessly smells the air searching to end an insatiable hunger

A creature concealed almost entirely by a thick discolored fur. Only barely can you distinguish its fang lined snout as it smells the air with inexplicable urge

• A gray child-like humanoid with transparent skin. Its long disseminated cheeks are slung over and fused to its back, like a fleshy backpack. Its eyeless face is dominated by large snout and wide toothless mouth. Its long-fingered hands are feeling out the surrounding ground and shove every thing into mouth like some newborn. Through its transparent vein-y cheek-skin you can see various items kept there.
  • A small headless humanoid creature with three human hands instead of normal limbs, which runs on all of them. Its back is covered in long multi-segmented fingers, which clutch various items in them.
  • This looks like a sizable pile of various glued together junk. From small eight holes, thin almost invisible, insectiod limbs keep it elevated in air. Large hole atop of its body, spews thick sticky substance, like some volcano.

I don’t really feel like this monster is adding anything meaningful to the game other than just one more annoyance to the player.

I’m not sure how a fuzzy nether-being skulking quietly in at night to eat from your inventory as you slumber isn’t creepy :smiley: I’d like to see this added, as well as more creatures whose primary objective isn’t to kill the player character (specifically the self-preservation mechanic)…

After it consumes enough it should have a child (not sure if they’d be baby shooks or baby junk golems :wink: but then they could infest like roaches… For all these people that say there are no real threats once you’re “established”, I think some nether-roaches nibbling your loot stores sounds like a fine disturbance) :smiley:

Far as annoyance goes, one could call a lot of the mechanics in Cata annoying, if one wished to be annoyed (boiling water, collecting vehicle parts, gathering nails/lumber, encumbrance, pulping, hunting elusive backpacks, getting acid spit on you, being hounded by zombie dogs etc)… :stuck_out_tongue: Guess my bottom line is that almost all apocalyptic settings are loaded with thieves, but at the moment you set loot down and it never moves…

Too bad these things can’t go regurgitate their junk vomit into solid walls of debris and build nests :smiley:

[quote=“moist_zombie, post:19, topic:3360”]I’m not sure how a fuzzy nether-being skulking quietly in at night to eat from your inventory as you slumber isn’t creepy :smiley: I’d like to see this added, as well as more creatures whose primary objective isn’t to kill the player character (specifically the self-preservation mechanic)…

After it consumes enough it should have a child (not sure if they’d be baby shooks or baby junk golems :wink: but then they could infest like roaches… For all these people that say there are no real threats once you’re “established”, I think some nether-roaches nibbling your loot stores sounds like a fine disturbance) :smiley:

Far as annoyance goes, one could call a lot of the mechanics in Cata annoying, if one wished to be annoyed (boiling water, collecting vehicle parts, gathering nails/lumber, encumbrance, pulping, hunting elusive backpacks, getting acid spit on you, being hounded by zombie dogs etc)… :stuck_out_tongue: Guess my bottom line is that almost all apocalyptic settings are loaded with thieves, but at the moment you set loot down and it never moves…

Too bad these things can’t go regurgitate their junk vomit into solid walls of debris and build nests :D[/quote]

I don’t know, I recently had an NPC run up to my vehicle, smash the welding rig and a solar panel then run away like it was some kind of fucking halloween prank.

Can we skin NPCs alive yet?