"You grab and knee the bear" and other shenannigans

You haven’t gone deep enough yet.

Eventually you’ll look back on the days of battling one balrog or a pair of dragons at a time and laugh.

But seriously it’s pretty standard Roguelike stuff. Maybe the particulars of my comparison were bad.

The game is very much about bashing things so your character will gradually get better at bashing things, and like in most Roguelikes (and combat-focused games in general) that offer a viable unarmed combat option, eventually through practice you turn into Sonny Chiba.

Because it’s fun.

“You quickly punch the bear and cause a rift in time and space. HOLY SHI-”

[quote=“Rivet, post:41, topic:6469”]The game is very much about bashing things so your character will gradually get better at bashing things, and like in most Roguelikes (and combat-focused games in general) that offer a viable unarmed combat option, eventually through practice you turn into Sonny Chiba.

Because it’s fun.[/quote]
Yeah but the cap on what you can do with martial arts is both much higher and easier to reach than any weapon, especially ranged weapons. I.e. you get the option to be Kenshiro but not Rambo.

A shotgun is actually less powerful than a crowbar in this game! What if I want to be a shotgun legend? But no matter how much I train, the recoil will not decrease and the damage won’t get significantly higher. I might become able to hit enemies farther away but that’s about it.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:35, topic:6469”]I’ve shot a bear with the weakest firearm known to man. A .22, and killed it. It involved aiming for the eye. Most people don’t understand these simple bear safety tips:

1. Bears won’t attack you for no reason. (They do in cataclysm 4norasins)
  2. Stay away from a bear with cubs
  3. If you have a firearm, try shooting it off to scare it off.
  4. If that fails, shoot it in the eyes.
  5. If that fails, a bear will always stop attacking if you stab it in the throat or break it’s muzzle with a well placed kick.
  6. Bears cannot out swim humans.

These are simple facts.[/quote]

I had a nice evolving reaction to this post.

1. “The fu*k?”
  2. “Oh, it’s a gtaguy post” rolls eyes
  3. rereads post "This is surprisingly nuanced for a troll post
  4. “This is some really quality trolling” experiences a weird sense of admiration, feels disgusted at self, takes a shower

One of the things that make epic moments epic is that they’re rare. And hard to pull off. Bears stop being particularly dangerous after the early game, but they should be something that’s a late-game payoff for accumulating really cool loot/getting those bionics/mutations you’ve been working so hard to get.

Plus, it’s not all about killing. Some of my favorite Cataclysm moments have been escaping from situations that I knew were going to kill me. Like walking into a cave early in the game, getting rushed by a pack of wolves, and being ridiculously grateful I happened to have a smoke-bomb handy :wink:

So what your saying here is that there should be A Bear Queen/(Or the x30 superior) Moose Overlord?

So what your saying here is that there should be A Bear Queen/(Or the x30 superior) Moose Overlord?[/quote]
why not?

The boss version of a bear would presumably be like the Forest God from Metro Last Light.
Large, strong, durable and very scary.

Zombear hulks?

Yes. Someone make this a thing. I haven’t died to a bear in FAR too long.

worst thing in z animals is that they are in wildlife and spawn endless waves of z animals what destroy your windows and doors sometimes cars

[quote=“Paquito, post:44, topic:6469”][quote=“gtaguy, post:35, topic:6469”]I’ve shot a bear with the weakest firearm known to man. A .22, and killed it. It involved aiming for the eye. Most people don’t understand these simple bear safety tips:

5. If that fails, a bear will always stop attacking if you stab it in the throat or break it’s muzzle with a well placed kick.

1. “The fu*k?”
  4. “This is some really quality trolling” experiences a weird sense of admiration, feels disgusted at self, takes a shower[/quote]

No need to be a dick. GG’s right.

Seriously. You can out swim any bear ever.

Seriously, the area behind the eye is the weakest part of the skull.

Seriously, a bear will back the hell off if you fuck it’s face up bad enough it can’t eat you.

And realistically, bears should avoid humans. Especially if you fire a gun off in their general direction.

It really shouldn’t be expected either. Humans are pretty decent at gripping and jumping, but one hit from a bear will either shatter you through your armour or knock you to the ground, either way it is pretty much over for you. Also, humans are not that intelligent. I mean, clever, sure, really clever, but not fantastic. It is mostly language, your civilisation has had thousands of years to get overpowered. Individual humans are comparable with things like octopuses and crows…

[quote=“Rivet, post:41, topic:6469”]You haven’t gone deep enough yet.

Eventually you’ll look back on the days of battling one balrog or a pair of dragons at a time and laugh.The game is very much about bashing things so your character will gradually get better at bashing things, and like in most Roguelikes (and combat-focused games in general) that offer a viable unarmed combat option, eventually through practice you turn into Sonny Chiba.

Because it’s fun.[/quote]
I am pretty sure that easy balrogs and dragons summon multiple named, level-appropriate bosses that will destroy you if you give them half a chance… And yeah, I guess the question here is, should unarmed combat be late-game viable against bosses without physical augmentation? Maybe it should be relegated to “Just like any other combat style, if you cannot find the appropriate equipment, it will, sometimes, completely fail.” much as fighting with a Swiss-Army-Knife or pipe-rifle is not going to work in every instance either… Unarmed combat is a great backup for when you are low on or saving supplies or if you cannot afford to reload, perhaps a limitless weapon like that is not ideally suited to a game of scarcity such as cataclysm D.D.A. seems suited to being?

On the subject of Zombear Hulks. Why not divide the various archetypes of zombies into templates that can be applied to any creature ala the way DnD 3.5 works. So we can have Shocker Zolfs and Bloated Zombears and Spitter Zoose.

By switching to templates we can create modified versions of virtually any animal assuming the templates follow rules: There can be one structural Primary template and a secondary template that defines what abilities the creature has

Make the zombie status itself a template. So Zombies are humans with the zombie template, skeletons are humans with the skeletal template. Then you can apply secondary template for extra abilities or weaknesses. This would keep the regular stable of zombies but allowing for variants of undead and normal animals. An additional template would be Cyborg. So Cyborg zombies and Cyber Z-9, Cyberzombear? :smiley:

Turhulken.

I don’t know, but I don’t think I should be able to clear out an entire town of advanced zombie types using a sharpened rebar and no martial arts at level 3 Melee, progress to level 8 melee in the progress and now murder Zombears in three hits using the same sharpened rebar.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:53, topic:6469”]Seriously. You can out swim any bear ever.

Seriously, the area behind the eye is the weakest part of the skull.

Seriously, a bear will back the hell off if you fuck it’s face up bad enough it can’t eat you.

And realistically, bears should avoid humans. Especially if you fire a gun off in their general direction.[/quote]

Video yourself doing this and post it here please. Thanks!

So what your saying here is that there should be A Bear Queen/(Or the x30 superior) Moose Overlord?[/quote]

lol. No

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:52, topic:6469”][quote=“Paquito, post:44, topic:6469”][quote=“gtaguy, post:35, topic:6469”]I’ve shot a bear with the weakest firearm known to man. A .22, and killed it. It involved aiming for the eye. Most people don’t understand these simple bear safety tips:

1. “The fu*k?”
  4. “This is some really quality trolling” experiences a weird sense of admiration, feels disgusted at self, takes a shower[/quote]

No need to be a dick. GG’s right.[/quote]

Unacceptable