More dangerous animals

It’s quite strange how easy we can kill bear or moose. For example, in UnReal World bear is killling machine. We have mod with doubled HP for zombies so maybe similar mod for wildlife is good idea. In general hunting is too simple

maybe a mod woud help?

I’m with PK, go with a mod.

Also, Wild animals have been doing pretty well at pulping starters, but I don’t see why hunting with a mid-to-late game survivor would be hard since they have all those military-grade weapons, sci-fi stuffs, bionics &mutations, etc.

Meleeing a bear is not small thing IRL, but in cata any low-level survivor with a good melee weapon and low encumbrance can do it.
It’s my feeling too that they could use a buff. They will kill more low level survivors, true, but getting close to bears is not the smartest thing to do.

That been said, a mod would work too…

EDIT
As for what buff, for bears maybe some more armor and STR would do it?
No idea about moose. Where i live we don’t know anything about them.

[quote=“jcd, post:4, topic:11470”]EDIT
As for what buff, for bears maybe some more armor and STR would do it?
No idea about moose. Where i live we don’t know anything about them.[/quote]

Bears probably need more melee skill and a more damage die. I think their health is Ok, maybe you could add some small amount of armor

Moose are probably OK right now.

I’d say a worse problem is that animals that are rare throughout most of the northeast continental united states, and/or which never go after humans, ruthlessly hunt them down like carp on dwarf fortress. Its absurd. I’ve lived across western and eastern PA, as well as MD and VA. Some animals, like Bears, are indeed around. But they are not terribly common. I’ve gone hiking all my life and never seen a bear. Likewise, I’ve never heard of anyone IRL whom has seen a moose IN OUR AREA aside from dedicated hunters, who have to go on hunting trips to see them, or people who go on vacation out west. I have this vague mental impression of them just kinda hanging out in the roads out west or something crazy.

From Wikipedia:

In North America, the moose range includes almost all of Canada (excluding the arctic and Vancouver Island), most of Alaska, northern New England and upstate New York, the upper Rocky Mountains, northern Minnesota, Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, and Isle Royale in Lake Superior

So, you have the potential for Moose in Maine and Vermont (big hunting states, admittedly, and areas where they’d go out of there way to stock them, basically) small parts of upper New York, as well as “less then a thousand” in Massachusetts. This is a real population…but keep in mind, again, throughout most of New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Conneticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, etc… they are not present and are functionally extinct. This is like 90%+ of the area the game covers.

Again, wikipedia:

The moose has been extinct in much of the eastern U.S. for as long as 150 years, due to colonial era overhunting and destruction of its habitat: Dutch, French, and British colonial sources all attest to its presence in the mid 17th century from Maine south to areas within a hundred miles of present-day Manhattan. However, by the 1870s, only a handful of moose existed in this entire region in very remote pockets of forest; less than 20% of suitable habitat remained.

That is not to say there shouldn’t be moose in the game. But they shouldn’t be land-carp. I think this has been improved in recent versions, certainly. But the tourists who are killed by Moose are largely idiots who go out of there way to approach them. They are not ranging across NY and PA and MD going through the forests looking for hikers to disembowel. Neither are Bears. We get bears near me all the time. They are here, I do admit this. You see them on the news every so often when someone spots one. But I have never personally seen one, and they are not in large enough quantities that hikers during a cataclysm are likely going to be seriously threatened by them.