Why can't we shoot while driving

I know shooting a LAW while driving an 18-wheeler would be very inaccurate, but why can’t I do that is it some sort of technical limitation or to overpowered.

LAW rockets have a bit of backblast. You’re most likely to kill yourself if you fire it one-handed out the window of your Semi, I should think…

Who says you must fire it one handed? Haha
I imagine you let go of the wheel for a bit.
But yeah, why is it we can’t fire out a car??? Ah well, I use bows anyway until they became less OP.

Are you sure you can’t? I think if you let go of the wheel first you are actually able to.

You can now last time I tried that it said “are you sure you want to exit a moving vehicle?”. Sweet now that I know this THE APOCOLYPSE IS DOOMED TO MY 18-WHEELER RAMBO RAMPAGE MWHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA!!!

Something tells me that firing a rocket launcher out of a moving vehicle is likely to be a terminally bad idea.

Just tested it because I had the stuff on hand… REMEMBER TO OPEN THE DOOR! I made the mistake and blew myself to a stupid ditch side grave. Couldn’t have gone better.

Almost as bad of an idea as shooting a rifle from a unicycle.

This is why I keep 2 cars all the time (even if it’s a hassle) 1 Mobile loot Storage that can store everything you can ever loot and 1 high speed upgraded with plating basic motorcycle for drive-by shooting,scouting and City looting. Basically I just place the Mobile loot storage on the road side away from cramped areas. (Just wish I could put my motorcycle inside too without chopping it to pieces and storing it, so I would only have to drive 1 car when moving the mobile storage to a new potential area)

Hah, I do the same thing! Except my scout vehicle is a pedal-powered cycle with a box full of molotovs…

This thread is so full of win.

Summary: You can’t fire two-handed weapons while driving, but you can now take your hands off the wheel in order to do so, and just hope the out-of-control vehicle doesn’t get you killed in the meantime. Also, with a LAW be careful about shooting intervening obstacles, including the vehicle you’re in.

Need to take a look at making the out-of-control stuff work properly, it’s a bit over the top right now at making you go off course.

A little off topic.

Would it be possible to make a steering lock attachment to cars? It would never fly in real life for safety reasons but this is the apocalypse. Screw safety.
I see it working like this.
^ c Dis/en-able cruse control
h Headlights
l Let go of controls
L Lock steering
E Set active engine(s) (I can dream)
Do nothing

Locking the steering works like letting go of the controls but makes it continue at the same pace if cruse control is turned on and prevents the car from turning (or just greatly reduces the chances) BUT it takes much longer to take control of the car again as you have to unlock the steering column and move the brick off the gas.

Any thoughts?

That said, if you can see through the door it’s reasonable to assume 1) it has a window, 2) you roll down the window (power windows ahoy!) before shooting. Pretty confident drive-by shooters IRL don’t open the whole door to shoot.

[quote=“TaintedHolyWater, post:12, topic:1986”]A little off topic.

Would it be possible to make a steering lock attachment to cars? It would never fly in real life for safety reasons but this is the apocalypse. Screw safety.
I see it working like this.
^ c Dis/en-able cruse control
h Headlights
l Let go of controls
L Lock steering
E Set active engine(s) (I can dream)
Do nothing

Locking the steering works like letting go of the controls but makes it continue at the same pace if cruse control is turned on and prevents the car from turning (or just greatly reduces the chances) BUT it takes much longer to take control of the car again as you have to unlock the steering column and move the brick off the gas.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

My thoughts on the subject: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/1807
tl;dr YES

[quote=“KA101”]That said, if you can see through the door it’s reasonable to assume 1) it has a window, 2) you roll down the window (power windows ahoy!) before shooting. Pretty confident drive-by shooters IRL
don’t open the whole door to shoot.[/quote]

1. yea.
  2. maybe, but it wouldn’t be instant, which means it would be pointless unless you did it ahead of time,requiring a new “roll down/up window” command, and extra state tracking, etc, for the sole benefit of allowing you to do drive-bys without “opening the door”. If it IS instant it’s a magic one-way window that you can shoot through but no one else can.

Or the simple solution, just open the door and tell yourself you’re opening the window.