What's up with the cold?

What climate does the game is set in? Is it normal that, when I go outside at game start (spring), my extremeties get chilled, and frostnipped within minutes? Or is this a calculation error that occurs because I use celcius and not fahrenheit?

I don’t remember ever freezing in earlier versions.

You’re in New England so its cold. And starting in spring is starting at the start of spring. The day before was the last day of winter so it will still tend to get quite cold for awhile.

By within minutes do you mean in game minutes? Cause that doesn’t sound right.

I get frostnipped parts after just walking around my starting shelter and searching some shrubs

In this case frostnipped doesn’t mean it’s about to fall off, just cold enough to negatively affect functioning.

It occurs at cold temperature, not necessarily freezing.

The cold is quite a tough factor of the game now, and you’re going to need warm but not over-encumbering clothes.

Frostnip will basically slow you down and cause pain when you try to ‘dethaw’ it. Soon it will turn into frostbite, and that freaking sucks. Don’t get frostbite. But frostnip isn’t a huge worry, so if you get it don’t think you have a death sentence.

The most common things I find will get cold are your hands, and your mouth. The way to fix this is by increasing your tailoring skill, or by taking points in tailoring to start with.

Once you have a good level 3 in tailoring, then it’s an idea to try to make light gloves and two pairs of hand wraps to keep your hands warm. If you have a point in survival, then you can make a balaclava which will keep your mouth warm. If you don’t have any survival skill, then make two bandanas to keep your mouth warm instead.

Keeping your feet warm can be a problem too, but wear two pairs of stockings. I don’t care if they make you look stupid, it’ll keep you warm.

Also remember to stockpile leather! Leather gloves are good and non-encumbering for your hands, and a leather cloak is a good early game item for warming yourself up.

If you need a full guide on how to walk around nice and warm then go ahead and ask me for more detailssss~

But in general, remember to keep wrapped up! It’s a cold cataclysm outside! The reason why it’s so cold has already been mentioned; in general New England is a cold place, and the fact the cataclysm has hit (probably causing all sorts of environmental problems considering that there’s multiple tears in reality) probably doesn’t help either.

It’s cold because the game starts in early spring (i.e. spring equinox). Weather IRL doesn’t care if it’s been spring equinox or not :stuck_out_tongue: