Less wimpy winter!

-5 degrees Celsius doesn’t even begin to sound like winter. I want to have to use that fur blanket and fur sleeping bag I made!

Having to prepare firewood to keep from freezing while asleep would be awesome. I understand New England is no Siberia, but I’d really like an option of more severe climate.

Maybe, though it’d be a PitA for everyone who isn’t into hardcore arctic survival stuff.

You could always camp in an Ice Lab?

I kinda have to agree, it regularly gets below -5 Fahrenheit here in Ohio during the winter, and that’s before wind chill, there’s a good week where the wind chill puts it at -15 Fahrenheit. Someone correct me on this but isn’t New England at least a little bit further north than Ohio?

I’m freezing at 35F*. But yeah, I want winters to be harsh and brutal. No animals will be out, if any they will be killed by shear coldness or the player. Snow will pile up and will slow you down. Zombie snowmen.

So on a whim, I looked it up average temperatures for New England… and discovered I’m not good with Geography either, here’s some weather Info for Concord, New Hampshire, which is about middle of the “New England” Region… Not exactly center or completely valid but it’s a start. Weather.com Source

July is warmest, Coldest is January, October is Wettest, Record high is 102 F in 1966, Record Low is -37 F in 1943

Jan 31, 10
Feb 35, 14
Mar 44, 23
Apr 57, 33
May 69, 43
Jun 77, 53
Jul 82, 58
Aug 81, 56
Sep 73, 47
Oct 61, 36
Nov 48, 28
Dec 36, 17

All in all, things could stand to be a bit warmer in spring and fall, a bit cooler in summer, and winter could be colder. Wind-chill would probably help a lot as would increased “cold” from being wet (Average precipitation never seems to fall below 2.5 in per month, so the constant rain is about right) Though I have no idea how the apocalypse could affect weather.

I don’t know how the weather system in CDDA works in the slightest but if could somehow “favor” the warmer temperatures in Spring and Summer and the cooler temperatures in Autumn and Winter it might work? I don’t know how this stuff works XD

in cataclysm summer feels more dangerous because i cant where as much armour.

Yeah, winter should be harsh.

I’d expect snow/rain and ‘rain/snow chilled’ status that reduces all warmth on all limbs.

I agree deadly winters should be a thing.

And they’re justified since the PC has a full in-game year to prepare for them- a big hurdle to prepare for would make for an improvement in my opinion.

Where summer threats with heat & less equipment, winter threats with cold and greater encumbrance. And the cold should be far deadlier methinks.

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:8, topic:3372”]I agree deadly winters should be a thing.

And they’re justified since the PC has a full in-game year to prepare for them- a big hurdle to prepare for would make for an improvement in my opinion.

Where summer threats with heat & less equipment, winter threats with cold and greater encumbrance. And the cold should be far deadlier methinks.[/quote]

…I wonder if it’s possible to make clothes with negative warmth, cooling vests and whatnot. I mean the Internal Climate Control is nice, but there’s not much you can do in the way of surviving near lava.

On a side note, I wonder if it’d be possible to add UPS bionics, I can already power my armor off a bionic, it’d be nice to run energy weapons off bionic power supplies… (Or cooling vests… XD)

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Thermal_Dissipation

Isn’t this /just/ for fire? Besides, still doesn’t help with wearing armor in summer

With the outbreak, couldn’t the environment be a little, unstable?
Weather could be more extreme. The summers are warmer, and the winters are colder.
This could be an option regarding New England’s weather.

But what do I know, I’m drunk.

Extreme weather was suggested in another thread. I agree -5 F is really warm for a winter, though.

I agree. Winter temperatures here can vary from -10 C to -50 C during snow storms, at the south frontier of Québec. I don’t exactly know for North New England, but -5 C is somewhat… a strange winter temperature.

Honestly it’s rare for it to get too far into the negatives. I’m not too sure about that Celsius.

Farenheit like -15 maybe sometimes, sure. Lower than that and something unusual is up.

Around here it’s not the cold so much as the fuckton of ice and snow. Up in the mountains you get more of both the cold and the accumulation. I guess it kinda depends on where we’re talking specifically.

Like I suggested in the extreme weather thread though, some ridiculous apocalyptic blizzards (radioactive/acidic snow argh) and ice storms causing blockage of streets and freezing up mobs (ice zombies? jabberwockies becoming wendigos?) would be pretty cool.

I like the idea, if you’ve survived until winter then you probably have a solid shelter, plenty of stockpiles and tools and stuff and so the game can get a bit easier, having a really tough winter to look forward to would make it more interesting. It works for Don’t Starve :wink:

I’d be all for colder winters. Fur clothing isn’t exactly hard to get, and you have plenty of time to get it, and it provides WAY more warmth than you actually need. Bring on the cold, I don’t think I’ve ever had a character survive into winter that wasn’t massively overprepared for it.

That said, an idea to make winter more dangerous: hibernation. In the winter, wildlife spawns could more or less stop, as most creatures enter hibernation. This deprives you of hunting opportunities, which makes careful management of your nonperishables a lot more important.

I find it interesting to have period of game when you really mostly curl up to sleeping bag, have 200+ pieces of burnable wood nearby and in worst-case-scenario a 3-4 months supply of food to keep playing. And/or full set of winter clothes. Having traps around the place can ease up your task.

Why not ride to next town to gather more supplies?

Because snow. You know, there is 2 meters of snow there and your vehicle wont move - it just wont. You wont drive around. Only way to go to places realistically is about walking in snow (very slow and energy consuming), snowshoes (slightly slower than normal walking) or skis (quite efficient, a bit faster but fumbles = risk of injury).

So most of the time you need to turtle against winter. Thats mandatory every-year goal, just like getting your first weapon or finding frying pan/pot.

Winter should be something you need to brace for. it should be also “mental challenge” of boredom so you would have severe consequences unless you are REALLY prepared to explore during winter, so first winter would prune unprepared and most likely those who simply try to “survive as they run around”.

On plus side - winter could make zombie enemies much slower, put triffids, fungaloids, giant ants & spiders to slumber so there would be much less “active threats” than on other times, just wildlife, nether and slowed down Zeds. Winter is mostly against-environment. Even when slowed down Zeds would be threat - sufficient winter clothing gives penalties to combat… Nether & Wildlife would be more threat than normally for same reason.

When the winter is over the survivors should have following typical outcomes of the season:

• Un(der)prepared have lost fingers, noses, leg or even arm to frostbite winter if they survive with luck and scavenging.
  • Prepared has lost quite a chunk of skills to erosion because they turtled and sleeped over winter, but nothing serious.
  • Well prepared have used a lot of resources and managed winter actively thus end up roughly ±0 (except for the lost resources that is, and maybe good experience on skiing)

Winter. Yes please.

[quote=“Sharklaser, post:18, topic:3372”]I find it interesting to have period of game when you really mostly curl up to sleeping bag, have 200+ pieces of burnable wood nearby and in worst-case-scenario a 3-4 months supply of food to keep playing. And/or full set of winter clothes. Having traps around the place can ease up your task.

Why not ride to next town to gather more supplies?

Because snow. You know, there is 2 meters of snow there and your vehicle wont move - it just wont. You wont drive around. Only way to go to places realistically is about walking in snow (very slow and energy consuming), snowshoes (slightly slower than normal walking) or skis (quite efficient, a bit faster but fumbles = risk of injury).

So most of the time you need to turtle against winter. Thats mandatory every-year goal, just like getting your first weapon or finding frying pan/pot.

Winter should be something you need to brace for. it should be also “mental challenge” of boredom so you would have severe consequences unless you are REALLY prepared to explore during winter, so first winter would prune unprepared and most likely those who simply try to “survive as they run around”.

On plus side - winter could make zombie enemies much slower, put triffids, fungaloids, giant ants & spiders to slumber so there would be much less “active threats” than on other times, just wildlife, nether and slowed down Zeds. Winter is mostly against-environment. Even when slowed down Zeds would be threat - sufficient winter clothing gives penalties to combat… Nether & Wildlife would be more threat than normally for same reason.

When the winter is over the survivors should have following typical outcomes of the season:

• Un(der)prepared have lost fingers, noses, leg or even arm to frostbite winter if they survive with luck and scavenging.
  • Prepared has lost quite a chunk of skills to erosion because they turtled and sleeped over winter, but nothing serious.
  • Well prepared have used a lot of resources and managed winter actively thus end up roughly ±0 (except for the lost resources that is, and maybe good experience on skiing)

Winter. Yes please.[/quote]

I do like the sounds of this but I get the feeling not many people will… Still, it sounds interesting enough.

If winter affects zombies and monsters as well, then that might make it a good time to explore more built up areas.
Makes it kinda a risk-reward thing, with extended looting/exploration being more of an environmental challenge than a zombie one during the winter.