What's happening in YOUR randomly generated apocalypse? Part 2!

I normally go for a low tech style of play. My chars don’t shun technology entirely, but my vehicles are never death mobiles, the fanciest armor is normally something that was forged or stitched. So this time I decided to try something different. I started as a Wraitheon exec in a helicopter crash scenario.

The two pet sentinels made quick work of the chopper zeds, gathered up anything useful and we were on our way. After picking up a road and following it a short way, spotted a military checkpoint ahead with a single .50 cal turret blasting at a group of rabbits running from a few zombie soldiers. I deactivated my sentinels instead of risking losing them to the .50 cal turret and snuck around through the trees and behind a military vehicle at the checkpoint so my char would be in range to try to hack the turret with her exec phone. I don’t know if it was just bad luck or what, since I never made/used a control laptop before, but the turret resisted hacking several times - enough that it literally cut the vehicle I was hiding behind in half to shoot me to death.

1 Like

Not a bad first day for Jeremy Kearns. While it did not start according to play with the furniture store he had hidden going up in flames, he did manage to team up with the other person hiding there, who was fortunately quite skilled with the copper spear they were wielding.

Being on the outskirts of the town, the flames attracted and killed most of the surrounding zombies, leaving Jeremy and his friend to sneak around to the few nearby houses and start looting for supplies. They did get a bit beat up by it, but nothing serious. They even got around fairly easily with Jeremy unlocking the doors with his fingerpick (started as a bionic thief).

Among the few houses in their corner of the Mexico town the highlight if the night was raiding a military surplus store for MRE’s and equipment. With axe and spear in hand they are set for venturing deeper into the city - to survive … to thrive.

(Also, it is amazing returning to the game after a few months of hiatus. So many cool additions)

2 Likes

The cataclysm is a hard and unforgiving mistress. After a week of surviving, impatience got the better of Jeremy Kearns and he was torn to pieces during a night raid, trying to get to the museum.

In an alternate reality, Jeremy Kearns just escaped the burning furniture store with his new companion, Asuncion Dewey, on the edge of Greenwich. This time, however, it didn’t turn out very well. They thought they had a good chance of escaping to the outskirts, since a police turret had attracted many of the nearby dead, but a pack surprised them both a few blocks away. Instinctively, Jeremy jumped a working bicycle and drove away as fast as he could - leaving Asuncion behind. He didn’t look back to see if she survived. The screams made it unnecessary. He better not make that go to waste.

Tried redownloading the latest expiremental this week and made a mutant character start and…

I spawned into this, mind you.

2 Likes

I found china which is a very small town that is a 3x3 with 5 houses an nothing else

survivorball
Maybe I’m getting old, but what’s the point of cheevos in a game like Cataclysm?

More dakka, obviously.

1 Like

Achievements is just a way of formalizing some common player challenges, effectively. Some players like the structure, and those that don’t can effectively ignore them as they don’t do anything, no unlocking a golden gun mode here

You can also debug spawn a rock (or anything) and this will disable achievos if you really can’t stand them.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. The messages themselves feel out of place for me personally. Meh, anything that nudges me to finally get off my lazy arse and start moving to a better OS so that I can build the game and add QoL things I want is a good thing.

I’ll survive I think. :slight_smile: Would be great if there was a toggle for the messages in the settings but it’s not that big of a deal.

I just found one of the most amazing NPC names ever: Jesus Muhammad. Guess he’s all about prophet. He’s also got a 6 in first aid, so he’s pretty good at saving people.

5 Likes

Just updated my game, unfortunately I’ve had some issues with the game, specifically my character and artifacts.
Apparently my super awesome artifact knife that had clairvoyance literally doesn’t work anymore, and I’ve been looking for a solution but I might just have to do some fiddling with the files, which i’m not really in the mood to do just blind.
It gives me all the benefits and negatives, just clairvoyance is annoyingly broken for some reason.

Also i’m forced to live with bionic slots now, as of the new update, with no obvious way to remove it. Super fun.

Edit: Tried fooling around with the numbers that denote certain effects on artifacts, and both regular clairvoyance and super clairvoyance are borked. It had ‘39’ but ‘39’ is a number that does absolutely nothing according to the wiki, but still gave clairvoyance from my testing. The artifact didn’t originally have a ‘10’ or ‘11’ in it which according to the wiki are the numbers for clairvoyance and super clairvoyance respectively, and I thought switching the 39 to a 10 or 11 would work but it didn’t.
Kinda stumped, the only real thing I did was change the description for some personal flavor text but I doubt that would be the problem, since it worked in the old build just fine.
Just a side note, spawned in super clairvoyance artifacts work perfectly fine.

Edit 2: I have a couple ideas that might work but I might just say screw it and turn it into a invisibility artifact and make the switch back on later builds to try and see if it’ll work.

Traveling with my 2 followers, we approached a dairy farm & horse ranch in close proximity to each other. To my surprise I was greeted to zombie horses at the ranch and zombie cows at the farm.

I’ve seen dead scientists and college kids who’ve reanimated into zombies at their map scenes, but never saw reanimated cows/horses before.

1 Like

Jeremy Kearns III has been doing rather well on his little farm outside of the city. A foray into the wildlands to the north resulted in a rapier, with which he has become quite formidable. A few trips to the nearby lab resulted in the discovery of an underground network and quite a few good resources and CBM’s. But now he has acquired a need for more firepower. The nearby hospital is overrun with dead and without an autodoc he can never begin to transcend his humanity. Some resources might be acquired at the military convoy he was sent to check out, but not even that would he dare. Unfortunately he has found no military installations even after driving far from home, so at this points there is only one solution: Constructing a mobile base to go wherever his search takes him.

Using his trusted jeep he managed to tow an RV to his base and drive an electric car from the city. Finally, he found an armored personnel carrier that he can use as a base to convert into something more. But being without wheels, he had to transplant wheels and engine from his jeep to drive it back - leaving the jeep behind for the dead - or someone else…

Now, let the construction begin

2 Likes

I actually found a good artifact in a strange temple it was a ring with electric immunity, psychic protection, and super clairvoyance with the downside of netherworld attraction, but if the ring is only worn for short periods at a time that downside will never take affect as it take some time for the netherworld attraction status to start increasing and the chance is low until you get to higher numbers.

Turns out blob slimes can form(extrude? manifest? whatever) armored arms. Good to know, I guess…

cataclysm-tiles_2020_08_16_10_34_05_543

1 Like

I really have only one question: which one? Or does it only have one on its right side? :smile:

Found an actual lab, finally. Tried to loot a gun store in an unvisited town, not a great idea, 200 zombies later and they still coming. There’s a dragon in the swamps, but luckily I didn’t attract his attention. Found an ACOG for the XM8, killed some zombie augmented soldiers, found a STANAG 60 round mag, which is not compatible with the XM8, which sux. Got an automagnum in the lab and a scout rifle, and I already have a lot of 8x40. The automagnum is my backup gun now, should work well. Got the last of the mi-go mutagen quests done, and she never gave me a recipe, which also sux. Found the flesh forest. Let it be, that shit spreads faster than fire on fungus, and don’t seem to burn. Oh yeah, and finally got some survivor armor. Doing great on CBM installations, no fails so far.

Just found out you can cut up skeletal juggernauts for 1500 bone skewers. No idea what ill do with them but i woundn’t need anymore for the rest of the game.

I’ve never used a gun in CDDA. Till today. I had found a few over the course of the last couple weeks, and also different kinds of ammo. Having never used one, I just put them to the side in my bunker, mostly because I’ve never lived long enough to get any, so I didnt want to lose them or something.

Earlier, I tried to break into a hardware store and was just about to be in, when a damn housecat went running by and a mob of like 20 dead started going after it. They bypassed me and Im thinking HAHA YES!!! Dumb ass zombies. Joke was on me though, as the cat got away which caused the dead to focus back on me. My peasant flail just wasnt up to the job and I got wrecked. I somehow got away but had 2 bites, 2 deep bites and a minor bleed from my right arm and head, a more serious bleed from my left leg and a gushing arterial bleed from my left arm. After having patched myself up back at the bunker, I was pissed. I’ve never survived into the summer before, and that cat and his dead friends almost cost me my run. I was out for blood.

I grabbed a Remington 870 Wingmaster and about a hundred 00 shot. I get back to the scene of the crime and the first zomb I see BAM. It had to be the most satisfying sound I’ve ever heard in CDDA. Unfortunately, it was followed quickly by the most horrifying sight as I watched the sound number hit 160 and the biggest mess of dead Ive ever encountered came around the corner. Im currently standing there as the horde heads my way, trying to figure out if I can make it out or not.

2 Likes

I’ve been getting bored with melee, so I started trying to use primarily guns for the first time. Mind you, I’ve been playing since version 0.A (circa 2014-2015) so that says something when I seriously say “I’m primarily using guns only.”

Managed to nab a whole bunch of 5.56 from a military bunker raid, like around 10k rounds of military grade 5.56. I’ve been trying to burn through these but it’s proving more difficult than I thought (Since i’m naturally stingy with resources, I can’t put turrets on my car, and i’ve been trying to train my rifles skill from 6-20, i’m at 15 right now). I raided a military outpost in the hopes I would get some power armor, but that also didn’t work out. I didn’t get anything useful except 5k 7.62 rounds and around 2k .50 BMG rounds that I didn’t even bother hauling to my limited cargo space.

Currently cleaning out the town with my nicely upgraded FN-SCAR L, a good upgrade to my M4. Afterwards i’ll use the M110A1 to use up the ammo there, and then switch over to the .50 BMG since i’ll have the space to do so then.

I’m around 2k rounds down from 10k and i’m enjoying it so far, it’s a little more button intensive than my lucerne hammer since with that I just hold up or down and I mow through hordes without batting an eye.

Just raided a collapsed tower, which was very time consuming and not really worth the time. I did find a nano fabricator template for a light power armor helmet and an advanced UPS, I don’t really know how they work or how I can use it, so I just took the liberty of spawning those two items in. If someone can tell me how the nanofabricator works, then it’d be greatly appreciated

Anyway, I might start to collect and organize all my essential gear and clear out everything else, once i’m all done with all the ammo of course. I might load up camping gear and essentials like my atompot, tools, etc. and slap together a wheelbarrow with a cargo space, some batteries, a gas can, water tank and a solar panel. Load up all my stuff and just go walking nomad, abandoning my sports car for a single tile draggable “vehicle”. A horse cart might be cool too.

Here's a small glimpse at the city that i'm cleaning out