What to do about "this" Fungal Bloom?

Hello guys,

I’ve been playing CataclysmDDA for some time and I’ve gotten good at it. I was exploring around on my bicycle, for special areas like Labs, Caves and other cities. I found some labs deep in the forest and an Ant-hill in the middle of an open-area, and a few tiles downward from the anthill, there was a Fungal Bloom. I’ve read the guide about this on the wiki and from that I imagined it would be a very large area with lots of dangerous creatures and the ‘exotic-fruit’ growing somewhere in the middle. But on the contrary this Fungal Bloom was only one tile on the map, and very small area with a Fungal spire in the middle surrounded by fungal-walls, and spores all around the bloom and some marloss bushes scattered around. There was not a single fungal-creature in the bloom besides the spire and some spores (some giant ants were also there), so I took it as a chance, sneaked in and got some of that fruit, neither the spire nor any spore attacked me.

I’ve not gone there since, but if your read the wiki, you’ll see that its got a lengthy guide about this, about how to prepare to attack the bloom, required equipment and stuff. But its totally (somewhat) different from the stuff that was written in the guide.

So, what should I do about this? Should I just take some grenades and high power ammunition and destroy the spire (as written in the guide)? What will happen if I don’t? Should I just leave it (since I already got the fruit, is there any need to destroy it)?

I’ve got 5 or 6 marloss berries (but I’ve not eaten them since I don’t want to become a Marloss-Carrier) so I think destroying it’ll be just a waste of my ammunition and equipment, and its really far from my base so even if it spreads, its not gonna come near my base anytime soon. I’ve also seen some similar stuff called the Fungal-Tower, the wiki has not got a page about it and it does not seem to spread (I’ll create a thread about that too).

Here are some snapshots of the bloom:
Fungal Bloom:

Map:

Thanks.

Nothing to be concerned about, it’s just a fungal spire that hasn’t had a chance to propagate. You can leave it alone if you want.

Yeah. If it’s the flowers and there’s no forest nearby, it’s probably safe to leave it alone as those need to make_fungus folks or convert trees in order to spread. If it’s the spores, that’ll become an annoyance given time. If it’s tendrils, it (currently) won’t spread at all.

Yeah. If it’s the flowers and there’s no forest nearby, it’s probably safe to leave it alone as those need to make_fungus folks or convert trees in order to spread. If it’s the spores, that’ll become an annoyance given time. If it’s tendrils, it (currently) won’t spread at all.[/quote]

…I would personally love to see fungal blooms spread of their own accord down the line… XDD At least to a certain size, regardless of how close you are… slowly converting the world to a giant mushroom…

Fire gooooooooooooood…

What they said, and since there seems to be some forest tiles nearby, it will grow if kept within the almighty reality bubble. (Reality bubble: How far away something can be from you and still do stuff.)

Thanks for the replies guys. I also think that there’s no need to touch it, and I’ve also got 4 marloss berries without a fight. Well, I’ll save it for later (after reading the “Marloss Berry Guide” on the wiki, I don’t think its a good idea to eat it now). I’ve also seen a similar area named “Fungal Tower”, the wiki has not got a single word on it, and its got many fungal tendrils and fungal boomers but it doesn’t seem to be spreading. What is it? Was it added in v0.B (that is the version I’m currently playing).

Spore clouds should have a chance to fungalize the terrain under them when they poof, and then that fungalized terrain should have a super tiny chance to generate a new spore cloud.

The fungus spreads fast enough as is. The only problem is the reality bubble thingy. If we can simulate these things happening outside the reality bubble all will be okay … or even to fast of a spread…

Fungus without reality bubble check would be horrible thing. It would engulf half of he game world in like 5 days.

I don’t see a problem here.

I don’t see a problem here.[/quote]
That is because your survivor is part of the problem :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Fungal towers are anti-melee places, and no, as I said, they don’t spread. Fungal blossoms don’t spread unless there’s a forest or other trees around. If there are, well, they’ll be fungal blossoms shortly.

Fungal towers are anti-melee places, and no, as I said, they don’t spread. Fungal blossoms don’t spread unless there’s a forest or other trees around. If there are, well, they’ll be fungal blossoms shortly.[/quote]
I think you said that about fungal flower, not fungal blossoms. Are the fugnal blossoms/flowers the same, functionally?

Yeah. If it's the flowers and there's no forest nearby

Marloss flowers are pretty harmless. Fungal blossoms are not. (Talking about the things that spew out fungal haze.)

Nono, i meant fungla flower, not marloss flower. There are three types of fungal overmap centers, fungal bloom, fungal flowers, fungal tower. I encountered only fungal flower, and it spreads like wildfire through a forest.

I know, I wrote them. Just hadn’t looked to see what term was which.

My question is why can I fire a nuke from a missile silo at a fungal bloom, kit myself out in the best available radioprotective gear, pick my way across the glassed map tiles, and still see a fully healthy fungal spire attempting to spread the grey goo?

Because nukes are a bug riddled mess.

The fungal blooms are not actually equipped to survive a nuclear blast.

Bring a high damage (and ideally fast firing) ranged weapon with a decent stock of ammunition and a lighter or other source of flame.

Burn off the fungal terrain by lighting the corners with your lighter, and stand back a bit until the fire dies down enough to see the tower in the middle of the conflagration.

Target the tower with your ranged weapon and shoot it to bits. The walls will try to block it, but they’ll die in the process as they eat up your bullets.

Make sure you don’t stand too close to the fire, or you might cook yourself.