What SHOULD be more realistic?

Hmm? The yield is already limited to its season.

Specific season, they’re currently limited to only the calendar season, when in reality most fruiting is restricted to just a few weeks.

2 Likes

Exeption might be nuts as those things stay good for a long time. I live near a lot of hickerynuts and oaks and for a few month after the nuts have fallen from the tree you can still gather some handfulls of eadible nuts if you are willing to search and pick out the good ones left.

1 Like

Yes I mean appropriate season for each item, not just applying one template. It might have a bit of a fuzzy effect too, i.e. having yields for different things increase as they go into season and decrease as it ends.

3 Likes

So far, players can’t plant trees, even transplanting?

Considering current timeframe of the game, why would you even try doing it? Trees are usually growing for dozens of years.

In order to make your base look more natural🙃

sorry if this is a bit rambly
I made transplanting trees possible in my mod “simple_additions” currently it just needs a digging tool and fertilizer though I plan to add a requirement for a boom crane in future. I plan to add planting trees possible in a couple of weeks before making a new post indicating what’s new. My plan to implement it is take advantage of how harvesting trees switches their terrain id then after a season/year(unsure which) it switches back, by indicating various tree intermediates i can daisy chain the switch back to make it take 5 years for trees to grow.

tldr: my mod has transplanting trees and will have planting trees in a few weeks

1 Like

5 years is a bit short for a tree to reach maturity, although it might be sufficient in the tropics where, among other things, it can continue to grow during the winter. However, 5 game years is a fairly long time in the game if you’re using full size seasons, so it might be a reasonable game play compromise with reality.

I use the default 90 day seasons, I felt that 5 years would be good standardized time from a gameplay perspective (if you are still alive having trees where you want is just a nice to have) and possibly more so since I remember reading something about somethings in game being sped up by 7 times. also for reference the times various trees take to fruit (from wikipedia and googling):

oak: 20 years
maple: 10 year
willow: 3-15 years (15 is for fully grown)
beech: 40 years
apple:3-15 (15 is for full yield)
pine:3-6years (pitch pine)
hickory: 10+ years

thinking about it I am still debating between standardizing on either 5 or 10 years. based on the above numbers I think 10 years is relatively realistic.

Things we need a compromise over are things where the scenario would allow for some behavior, but the game isn’t capable of doing it without adjustments, e.g. running speed and gun ranges, where the small area the game can actively render would perversely make the scenario less representative if we just used IRL numbers for things. In this case, the scenario and the game are in agreement that tree husbandry isn’t really something that works within the setting of the game, so there’s no need for a compromise.

Perhaps one could find an explanation for fast growing trees among all the strange stuff that is happening in the game world?

Perhaps mutant trees with mutant fruit could be added that grow much faster?

alternatively there could be a mutagen based fertilizer that results in extremely fast growth. an ingredient for it could come from trifid queens. the main reason I like the idea of moving/planting trees is that it removes nearby trees from the consideration of ideal base location and allows mass production of things requiring tree products such as wild apple, gin, maple syrup, etc. without having to go through large tracts of forest.

1 Like

I understand what Kevin is saying, and respectfully disagree (and also acknowledging that Kevin has much more say than I do in what gets accepted). The things mentioned are necessary compromises required by underlying game mechanics.

I believe there’s a class of compromises that can be argued for on the grounds that they make the game more interesting or fun even if they bend the realism a little, in particular if they concern rather peripheral things that won’t really affect normal game play.

A good way around the replanting trees thing would be to have the Gardening Supplies and the Home Improvement shops have “pre-planted” trees as part of their loot perhaps. Small / medium sized trees that just need replanting or something.

1 Like

It’d be nice to transplant useful trees instead of cutting them down, when clearing a path through forest.

Perhaps it should require that you wrap 7 tiles of vehicle “root cutter” part around the tree. Then you’d use vehicle controls to activate it and it would remove the tree and attach it to the vehicle. Then you’d reposition your vehicle such that the tree is over a deep pit and activate the vehicle root cutter again.

What you get, mainly, from buying trees from suppliers is that the fruiting part has been grafted onto a sturdier root stock and that they’re grown a year or two (out of 10-20), so they shouldn’t really change the time from planting to maturity to any significant extent.

While I believe it would be technically possible for survivors to construct tree moving machinery (at least assuming they’re able to make deathmobiles), it’s still a large undertaking (and someone would have to make the parts and other logic for it in the game, possibly with the requirement of a specific book to find the recipe for the part(s)). Once transplanted I’d expect it would take the trees several years to recover, so they wouldn’t yield much/any fruit until they’ve settled in.

(I don’t have any particular knowledge relevant to tree growing, though).

It’s very detailed. I think it’s an excellent module. Maybe you can share it with us! Thank you for your contribution!

no problem, Thank you all for the input. I mainly wanted keep things as simple as possible by adding a boom crane requirement to allow pulling the tree up and several hours construction time to simulate digging up the roots by hand (possible it just would take longer). I have a post thread for the mod which has a link, but so you don’t have to look for it heremod link

edit: link to mod thread(includes list of what mod contains):thread link

1 Like

im a bit lost on the story but realisticly most clothing stores should be full noone really gets them during a panic (remember last year?) other than survival items ie. (boots gloves ect)