What are some things that should be in the Cataclysm?

Grappling system similar to Axu’s system, pretty sure I mentioned it before but it’s still overpowered and fun

Theresa May - Patch notes constantly say she’s gonna be taken out of the game but never happens

Custom vehicle seats you can build, designed to accommodate huge mutations. Basically a sofa sized bucket seat.

I looked at allowing huge mutants to ride in open vehicles but I couldn’t get it to work in the code.

What about capsule/pill items, like those from DBZ (the ones bulma use)for late game, having a bicycle or shopping cart like that would be cool, just to avoid the weight

That’s a shame but thanks for trying :+1:

2 Likes

Let us not forget prison currency; Ramen. :wink:
(go add this and the many flavors that can be had to my food thread please)edit…derp…nm, it was my idea lol brb

A few things I request from the devs:

1- Please unscramble the code in regard to random schlock spawning into areas I have previously visited. A few examples of which I hate finding AFTER I was there a few days prior when nothing was there; Roadblocks with either gun turrets or tanks trying to kill me. Yeah…those suck ass when I’m flying by and not expecting random crap like this on a road I re-traversed a few days back.

2-When a mission breaks and we cannot complete it. Can you add a feature to purge a mission in the mission menu please?

No sarcasm here. These will really add some polish to the game and help clean up random crap that break. Players can get around a problem. Continuing to play =)

In my experience, prisoners used tobacco as currency.

Though I agree we should have more prison items, given that we have a new prison and all.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s been mentioned before, but I can’t remember. Radiation storms.
If it was mentioned, what was the conclusion?

2 Likes

Yeah absolutely, though I’m only talking about vision as hearing is already covered in-game. In my reference to URW, I just meant how players interact with the system and control their character, not the exact implementation. i.e. you have a facing and there is a clear sense of direction in how players move forward, backward, and turn around. Specifically in CDDA, it could probably recycle a lot of the vehicle control and facing code for it, but it doesn’t appear there’s a desire for it.

In a broader context, I always thought a good implementation of FOV in a roguelike would give the player closer to 270° of vision. This would represent not just peripheral vision, but also reflect how quickly someone can snap their head from side to side (far quicker than most lengths of time represented by a “turn” in a roguelike). This great FOV would be mediated though by having the peripherals show reduced information, with substantial perception penalties to the outer-most arc, gradually moving to no penalty with the forward-most arc and maybe even a perception bonus for something centered in your FOV. This sort of implementation could lead to seeing a creature’s movement off to the side, but you wouldn’t see it clearly and you certainly couldn’t take proper action against it until you turn to face it (or in a horror game, just nope-ing right out of there without looking at it, especially if looking at it could fry your brain!).

This is more just me daydream designing my own roguelike at this stage, but I imagine you could have a lot of fun with a system like this in CDDA. You could be getting mutations that shuffle your eyes to the side of your head (think birds, fish and other flight-response animals) giving you a greater FOV but stiff perception penalties, or perhaps going full owl mode with a massive perception bonus but a terrible FOV. I think these sort of changes to gameplay deriving from mutations are far more interesting than flat attribute bonuses and penalties. I had fun thinking about it at least.

Any ideas why/what/where to look for in the code?

I’m guessing the check for huge mutation in a vehicle would need another check for whether there is a roof, but I’m also guessing it isn’t that easy?

Unity and C# spoiled me quite a bit, so it kinda looks for me easier than it is

in src/player.cpp, at the tail end of player::update_needs(), there’s this little bit of code:

// Huge folks take penalties for cramming themselves in vehicles
    if( in_vehicle && ( has_trait( trait_HUGE ) || has_trait( trait_HUGE_OK ) ) ) {
        add_msg_if_player( m_bad,
                           _( "You're cramping up from stuffing yourself in this vehicle." ) );
        if( is_npc() ) {
            npc &as_npc = dynamic_cast<npc &>( *this );
            as_npc.complain_about( "cramped_vehicle", 1_hours, "<cramped_vehicle>", false );
        }
        mod_pain_noresist( 2 * rng( 2, 3 ) );
        focus_pool -= 1;
    }

player::in_vehicle is set in map::board_vehicle() in src/map.cpp.

I think a good solutions would look something like:

• add bool in_open_vehicle to player:: (well, really to Character:: these days now that KorGgenT is refactoring them to be correct)
  • add json.member() and assign() calls to write and read in_open_vehicle in src/savegame_json.cpp next to the existing calls for in_vehicle
  • in map::board_vehicle(), after setting p->in_vehicle, call vp->vehicle().refresh_insides(); and then set p->in_open_vehicle = !vp->part().inside; - or possible do some more complicated test to see if the boarded part is open, depending on whether HUGE characters should be able to be comfortable in convertibles or only on bicycles.
  • update the if statement in player::update_needs() to if( in_vehicle && !in_open_vehicle && ( has_trait( trait_HUGE ) || has_trait( trait_HUGE_OK ) ) ) {

Now I’m trying to remember why I was having problems with this. Probably because I was too scared to just add another variable to player and was trying to do the in_open_vehicle check on the fly in update_needs().

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for the analysis.

Would love to tackle this, but I’m currently busy with my own project for bachelors degree, but after wednesday (if everything goes fine and I remember about this) I might try doing this.

Ed Roth says yes.

Or “Cow riding a bicycle”

Sounds like easy additions, the different parts should be a simple json tweak, I’ll try and get the ball rolling on it but my attention span is incredibly short xD

1 Like

@SomeDeadGuy
@Stone

Watch at your own risk :stuck_out_tongue:
1 Like

An ink Cloud for cephalopod mutants. It would work much like the Boomer explosion blinding nearby enemies allowing the character in question to escape

2 Likes

Nice thought, but I’d imagine there would just be an inky black puddle where you’re standing XD

1 Like

That’s why I said cloud. It would adapt to land dwelling people shootout much like a mist as opposed to a literal stream. I want to be able to escape not piss ink in the someone’s face

3 Likes