Extended Cataclysm v1.0a

This mod adds new items, recipes, construction options, professions buildings and enemies.
Most of the recipes allow players to use items that don’t get much uses so you will end up with less stuff lying around.
On the other hand, this also makes it so players might end up using resources with non essential recipes if they are not careful.

The following list shows all the new items added in this mod:

FOOD

Wastebread:
“Flour is a commodity these days and to deal with that, most survivors resort to mix it with leftovers of other ingredients and bake it all into bread. It’s filling, and that’s what matters.”

Boring Sandwich:
“A simple sauce sandwich. Not very filling but beats eating just the bread.”

Jam Sandwich:
“A delicious jam sandwich.”

Cheese Sandwich:
“A simple cheese sandwich.”

Grilled Cheese:
“A delicious looking grilled cheese. Because everything is better with melted cheese.”

DRINKS

Milk Tea:
“Usually consumed in the mornings, milk tea is common among many countries.”

Coffee Milk:
“Coffee milk is pretty much the official morning drink among many countries.”

Bee’s Knees:
“This cocktail dates from the Prohibition era. Gin, honey and lemon in a delightful mix.”

Whiskey Sour:
“One of many mixed drinks. Whiskey and lemon juice.”

Kalimotxo:
“Not as bad as some might imagine, this drink is pretty popular among young and/or poor people in some countries.”

Fancy Hobo:
“This definetely tastes like a hobo drink.”

Bark Tea:
“Often regarded as folk medicine in some countries, bark tea is not only a tasty beverage but is also used to boost the immune system.”

Honey Ball:
“Droplet shaped ant food. It’s like a thick balloon the size of a baseball, filled with sticky liquid. Unlike bee honey, this has mostly a sour taste, probably because ants feed upon a variety of things.”

Honeygold Brew:
“A mixed drink containing all the advantages of its ingredients and none of their disadvantages. It tastes great and it’s a good source of nourishment.”

Sewer Brew:
“A thirsty mutant’s drink of choice. It tastes horrible but it’s probably a lot safer to drink than before.”

DRUGS

Sewagas:
“Sewer Gas inhaler. A powerful hallucinogen with low chances to get addictive.”

ARMOR

Shopping Bag:
“A disposable plastic bag. Can be used to carry your groceries back home.”

Bag Gloves:
“A pair of disposable plastic bags, adapted to be used as gloves. Each has 5 holes at the bottom for the fingers and the handles are ripped so it’s easier to tie around the hands.”

Bag Socks:
“A pair of disposable plastic bags, adapted to be used as socks. You slip your feet in them and use the ripped handles to tie them.”

Paper Arm Guards:
“Armguards made of magazines or stacked paper sheets held together with duct tape.”

Paper Leg Guards:
“Legguards made of magazines or stacked paper sheets held together with duct tape.”

Turban:
“Rags worn around the head.”

Keffiyeh:
“A type of headdress traditionally used in the middle east. This piece of cloth can be used in different ways and it can protect the head and mouth from the elements.”

Knit Cowl:
“A snuggly woolen cowl. It’s one of those stylish and bulky cowls you see in fashion magazines.”

Rioter Mask:
“Rioters usually wear these around the face to hide their identity. They are made simply by using a t shirt and tie the sleeves at the back of the head to keep it all in place.”

Ski Mask:
“A warm covering that protects the head and face from cold. It has a full face opening that can be adjusted to set how much is exposed.”

Balaclava:
“A warm covering used mostly by military forces that protects the head and face from cold. It’s a two-hole cloth headgear designed for minimal exposure.”

Rag Tunic:
“A poorly made long tunic with a string around the waist to keep it all in place. Better than nothing.”

Duster:
“A full-length western version of a trenchcoat. It protects your clothes from getting dirty.”

Wool Hoodie:
“A wool hooded shirt. It offers decent protection against the cold. The front pocket offers both storage room and shelter for your hands.”

Wool Suit:
“A wool suit covered in nice patters. It looks like a full body armor but it only protects against cold, sadly.”

Shark Suit:
“A one piece chainmail suit used by scuba divers for protection against shark bites. It comes with attached plastic helmet and booties.”

Chainmail Armor:
“A fully customized chainmail suit. The coif, shirt, arms, and leggings have been modified with leather straps to deal with uneven weight distribution and to allow them to be used separately, which is best.”

Chainmail Coif:
“A customized chainmail hood. It covers most of the face, leaving only the eyes exposed. Can be used under helmets.”

Chainmail Shirt:
“A customized chainmail shirt. It’s a sleeveless piece of chainmail with small leather straps to better distribute the weight.”

Chainmail Arms:
“Customized chainmail arms. Each sleeve has leather straps to connect them with each other. The lack of fingers makes them less cumbersome and allows them to be used with gloves.”

Chainmail Leggings:
“Customized chainmail legs. Their leather straps keeps everything in place and the lack of toes and heels allows them to work perfectly well with footwear.”

Nomad Cowl:
“A makeshift cowl with protection for the eyes and a peak or visor. It covers the head and face nicely.”

Nomad Gear:
“A makeshift outfit made from pre-cataclysm clothing. Specially useful for constant travelers.”

MISC

Paper Sack:
“A big kraft paper sack. usually used to hold food, construction materials, etc.”

Twigs and Bark:
“A handful of small branches, leaves and bark from trees. Useful for kindling.”

POTTERY AND MASONRY

You can now extract clay from river banks or other water sources with shallow water. To do so, simply get a shovel, get yourself next to shallow water and hit the construction button, then select Extract Mound of Clay. Clay can be used in a number of crafting recipes and construction option. You can also build walls or concrete walls over half-built walls. There are two options for each, vertical and horizontal walls.

Lump of Clay:
“A fresh piece of clay. Useful for some crafting recipes.”

Brick:
“A fire hardened building block used in masonry construction.”

Cement:
“A powdered substance used mostly in the construction of buildings.”

Mortar Plaster:
“A workable substance similar to a paste used to bind other materials together or fill gaps between them. It can also be used for coating walls and ceilings, making this building material suitable for both finishing and load-bearing.”

Clay Jug:
“A clay container with a lid, used to hold and pour liquids.”

Clay Bowl:
“A clay bowl. Can be used as a container or as a tool. Holds 250 ml of liquid.”

Clay Pot:
“A crude clay pot with lid used for cooking.”

Clay Container:
“A bulky and heavy clay pot, meant to store water, but can carry other liquids in a pinch.”

Clay Canister:
“A fragile clay vessel. It can be used to make crude impact grenades or to store liquid.”

Clay Quern:
“This is a simple hand-powered clay quern for grinding grain.”

Clay Teapot:
“A clay teapot. Now all you need is tea and water.”

WOOL KNITTING

Most woolen clothes can now be crafted using a Sewing Kit. To do so, you will need to learn the recipe either from the new book, Stitch 'n Sticks, or by disassembling woolen clothes. Wool Yarn is the most basic crafting block for this, followed by Wool Bolts, which you should make to knit bigger garments. Wool Bolts recipe can also be learned from the book, Sew Awesome Monthly.

PROFESSIONS

Shark Feeder:
“You were working in the public aquarium when the world ended. You only survived the initial onslaught because of your shark suit, which is why you are still wearing it.”

MONSTERS

Larder Ant:
“This enormous orange ant is bloated with liquid and honey balls to the point its abdomen has swollen enormously. Its only purpose seems to be eating food, process it into nutritious liquid and dispense them in droplet shaped balls.”

OTHER EDITS

-There are a number of core items that get some stat changes. These are, Light Gloves, Hand Wraps, Footrags, Teapots, some of the sandwiches and Solar Panels.
-There’s also a new recipe for field point arrows.
-Scissors are now heavier and made of steel instead of aluminium and can now be disassembled into two spikes.
-Recipe to melt 5 small plastic items into a Plastic Chunk. The items used are too small to carve into a Plastic Chunk the usual way.
-Recipe to turn a Fur Pelt into a Leather Patch via tanning using fat or bark and other ingredients.
-The new construction option, Remove Mound of Dirt, allows you to do exactly that.
-Giant Ants got a name change. They are now Worker Ants.
-The Gardening Shovel has been renamed to Trowel.
-Empty Canisters can hold 1 unit of water.
-New building, Incomplete House. Will contain mostly building items.
-New recipe to turn some liquids into clean water with a chemistry set. Liquids like acid water, milk, fruit juice, etc.

I don’t have much free time but I will try to keep adding new stuff into this mod. Please, feel free to report bugs or grammar issues, ask questions or post suggestions.

Download Link:

Rename head rags to makeshift turban and it’s all good.

New update. Added a couple of more drinks, a new recipe for field point arrows and made some small edits to some of the other items in this mod.

Maybeh. :3

[quote=“Chiko, post:3, topic:5330”]New update. Added a couple of more drinks, a new recipe for field point arrows and made some small edits to some of the other items in this mod.

Maybeh. :3[/quote]

I kinda like “makeshift turban” too.

What I don’t like is having topics like this floating around at the same time as interesting new ways to handle clothing. Feel free to wander over and make the case for more additions.

(Yeah, the sandwiches probably wouldn’t make the cut as we’ve plenty of food. Drinks and the clothing, I’d probably consider worthwhile: we’re short cocktails and such.)

Mkay, I will center on more clothes and drinks. Maybe Post-Cataclysm clothing since we have plenty of normal ones. Also, some of the new items I’m adding are like low lvl items or use ingredients that don’t get much uses.

Like for instance, the Kalimotxo drink needs any red wine (quantity depends on the wine) and dark cola. Same with the Boring Sandwich, it allows you to use ingredients before they end up rotting because you never found the rest of the ingredients to make the more complex recipes.

The rag clothes are cumbersome but will allow players to protect from cold earlier in the game in the event they started far away from a town. They also make sense, me thinks. If I have a sheet and some string I would totally wrap it all around me. :3

I can’t think of more low lvl self made clothing so I guess I should move to the more complex ones now. Maybe new, and probably fictional, drugs.

Edit: How about Rag Turban instead?

If it’s modular and added/removed via the mod manager, as this stuff presumably is, then I doubt anyone in the thread you fingered would take issue with it at all.

I love the ideas.

Not to rain on your parade but the Boring Sandwich, Jam Sandwich, Cheese Sandwich, and Grilled Cheese are all already in the game: PB Sandwich, PB & J Sandwich, and the last two have the same names.

also “a couple magazines stapled together” really wouldn’t provide much armor against a real attacker, maybe paintballs. But the zeds aren’t exactly in a playful mood.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:8, topic:5330”]Not to rain on your parade but the Boring Sandwich, Jam Sandwich, Cheese Sandwich, and Grilled Cheese are all already in the game: PB Sandwich, PB & J Sandwich, and the last two have the same names.

also “a couple magazines stapled together” really wouldn’t provide much armor against a real attacker, maybe paintballs. But the zeds aren’t exactly in a playful mood.[/quote]PB stands for Peanut Butter, not “pretty boring”. And thick stacks of paper are pretty hard to dent and puncture - they will provide decent protection against zombie claws and bites, even dog bites. Not great armor by far, but far better than bare skin or thin clothing.

Paper armor was actually a thing in ancient china. It actually wasn’t to bad, wasn’t far off from the metal armor of the era. Mythbusters did a whole episode on it.

What exactly is a makeshift turban?
As far as I am aware, a turban is nothing more than a rag wrapped around your head in a special way, so it can’t conceivably be makeshift.

Also why don’t you name the cowls keffiyehs, that’s possibly what you meant them to represent.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:8, topic:5330”]Not to rain on your parade but the Boring Sandwich, Jam Sandwich, Cheese Sandwich, and Grilled Cheese are all already in the game: PB Sandwich, PB & J Sandwich, and the last two have the same names.

also “a couple magazines stapled together” really wouldn’t provide much armor against a real attacker, maybe paintballs. But the zeds aren’t exactly in a playful mood.[/quote]
Not really, Boring Sandwich is Breads + Mayonnaise/ketchup/pesto/red sauce/mustard. Jam Sandwich doesn’t require peanut butter like PB&J, just the Jam. Oh, and there are no Cheese Sandwich and Grilled Cheese in the game, the closest thing available in the main game are cheeseburgers, which require a ton of other ingredients.

I might merge Boring Sandwich with Jam Sandwich, though… I’m not sure. Also, I just noticed there’s honey, so I will also add as another option for the Boring Sandwich.

About the paper limb guards. Stacked paper actually gives some protection, specially against piercing attacks. The ingame stats give little protection compared to the other options and they cannot be repaired, though. I watched that Mythbusters episode too but the idea was taken from World War Z. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:11, topic:5330”]What exactly is a makeshift turban?
As far as I am aware, a turban is nothing more than a rag wrapped around your head in a special way, so it can’t conceivably be makeshift.

Also why don’t you name the cowls keffiyehs, that’s possibly what you meant them to represent.[/quote]
I was thinking about calling it Rag Turban but maybe just Turban is the correct name for it, that or just Headwraps.

I just googled keffiyeh and I had no idea there were plain ones so yeah, I think I should rename them. Also, I’m thinking about changing the way they work. Keffiyehs can be used in different ways so maybe I could represent this by making them to cover just the mouth but have that hood option that activates only when needed like in hoodies. It will make them kinda unique from the rest of the scarves.

What about adding an alternative to the Keffiyehs too?

I used to wear this in riots when I was young and stupid years ago.

They would still have differences from each other. Imma write the most noticeable ones here:

Keffiyeh:
-Only covers the mouth but “comes with a hood” and warms the head when needed.
-Thick and a bit cumbersome.
-Gives more warmth and environmental protection but has a lower coverage.
-Mutation friendly.

Rioter Mask:
-Covers both the mouth and the head.
-Thin and lies close to the skin.
-Gives less warmth and environmental protection but has a higher coverage.
-Can be disassembled.

Hmm I like the idea of having keffiyehs being also usable as hoods. Thats a nice one.

Also isn’t the ninja mask just a do it yourself balaclava? Which by the way we don’t have. Ill like If you added those, you could then have a recipe that converts a t shirt into a balaclava, as well as normal ski masks.

Yeah, pretty much. T shirts are easier to conceal as you only need to wear it normally, which is why rioters prefer them over ski masks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm… how do I make it so items can be found on certain places and monsters? I could make Balaclavas be found on stuff related to the military and ski mask be made of wool and be found on normal places.

Also, wool should have its own “building block” like wool rag/patch or something like that and be used to upgrade/build wool related clothing… Imma suggest that.

Edit: Wat… Balaclavas are already in the game. I guess they are pretty rare. I’ll make them military related then and add ski masks as the civilian counterpart. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit2: Mkay, these are the main stats I gave them.

Turban
-Covers : Head
-Description : Rags worn around the head.
-Material : Cotton
-Weight : 120
-Volume : 1
-Warmth : 10
-Coverage : 50
-Environmental Protection : 0
-Material thickness : 1
-Encumbrance : 1
-Special : Mutation friendly

Keffiyeh
-Covers : Mouth
-Description : A type of headdress traditionally used in the middle east. This piece of cloth can be used in different ways and it can protect the head and mouth from the elements.
-Weight : 372
-Volume : 5
-Warmth : 35
-Coverage : 75
-Environmental Protection : 2
-Material thickness : 3
-Special : Mutation friendly and Hood

Rioter Mask
-Covers : Head and Mouth
-Description : Rioters usually wear these around the face to hide their identity. They are made simply by using a t shirt and tie the sleeves at the back of the head to keep it all in place.
-Weight : 123
-Volume : 2
-Warmth : 15
-Coverage : 90
-Environmental Protection : 1
-Material thickness : 1
-Encumbrance : 0
-Special : Layers easily

Ski Mask
-Description : A warm covering that protects the head and face from cold. It has a full face opening that can be adjusted to set how much is exposed.
-Material : Wool
-Weight : 86
-Warmth : 50
-Coverage : 80
-Environmental Protection : 0
-Material thickness : 3

Balaclava
-Description : A warm covering used mostly by military forces that protects the head and face from cold. It’s a two-hole cloth headgear designed for minimal exposure.
-Weight : 42
-Warmth : 25
-Coverage : 98
-Environmental Protection : 1
-Material thickness : 2
-Encumbrance : 0

I will download this just for the survivor rags. Going to play a combination between Fallout, the Jawas and the dude from Journey ;u;

Mkay, I just updated the mod with all the changes previously mentioned. Other changes include:

-Keffiyehs are smaller and you also need a cutting tool to make them. You can’t disassemble them anymore.
-Most of the items should now be found in Corpses and some Locations.
-Small edits to some of the items to rebalance them with each other.

I’m trying something. I want to add wool as a crafting material so some wool items could be created and disassembled. These are the ideas for this to work:

Knitting Kit:
“This is a plastic kit with a variety of big needles, some plastic spools for yarn, and a few other useful textile tools. Use a knitting kit only to create clothing.”
-I thought about allowing this item to repair clothes too but I don’t think that is possible unless I find a way to only repair wool clothes.
-Refilling this with Yarn is just for storing purposes since crafting recipes need the kit and yarn separately so disassembling woolen items don’t require a “charged” kit.
-The kit is a bit bigger and weights more than a sewing kit.
-Another option would be to not create this kit and just use the Sewing Kit. Maybe change its stats a bit, name it Tailoring Kit and edit the description another bit.

Wool Yarn:
“A small quantity of wool yarn that could be used to refill a knitting kit.”
-This will be the basic crafting block for wool items.
-It’s just a copy of thread but stacks in less quantities.

Wool Bolt:
“A bolt of knitted fabric used to make big wool garments.”
-Since wool clothes should take a lot more time to make and there’s no “continue work” when interrupted, these should be required to make clothes bigger than woolen socks and gloves, for instance.

Stitch 'n Sticks:
“A knitting magazine with basic tips and recipes.”
-Not sure about the name but this magazine should train tailoring and give you maybe 5 recipes.
-This could be the only book about this but I would like to allow players to learn how to make the rest of the wool items by disassembling them like you do with some electronics.

Le question be… is it a good idea to try adding something like this or it’s just unnecessary?

New update for today. Wool knitting is now possible:

Most woolen clothes can now be crafted. To do so, you will need to learn the recipes either from the new book, Stitch 'n Sticks, or by disassembling woolen clothes. Wool Yarn is the most basic crafting block for this, followed by Wool Bolts, which you should make to knit bigger garments. Wool Bolts recipe can also be learned from the book, Sew Awesome Monthly.

I decided to not include the Knitting Kit, mainly because knitting needles could just be part of the “variety of needles” mentioned in the Sewing Kit description. That means you can just use Sewing Kits to knit garments. Bone and Wood needles cannot be used for this.

Edit: "Bone and Wood needles cannot be used for this."
Maybe they should… If you can stab monsters with them, then that means they are big enough to be used for knitting. Hmm…

This is great!