Wearable Weapons

A meaningful addition to the game, in my opinion, would be if the player could do two things.

Firstly, for any normal-sized human, bows can be worn around the torso, even with a backpack on. I think this should be added to the game.
Bows should function, when not in use, as wearable items, so they don’t take up inventory space, but still weigh the player down and also add 1 or 2 points of torso encumbrance at the same time.
The implementation of this might not be as easy, but I think it would definitely be worth adding in.

Secondly, there should be a craftable sling for rifles, shotguns, launchers, submachine guns, and crossbows that allows the player to wear the weapons as I’ve described in the above way for bows.
They could then appear on the worn equipment screen as “shoulder-slung UMP45+” and allow the player to store the weapon on their body instead of having to either drop it or put it in their inventory to get it out of the way when trying to wield something else.
Realistically, it wouldn’t take more than a bit of string and some strips of leather with a sewing kit and a knife to make one of these, and I don’t think it should take any more than that to make in the game. This should be a staple for any weapon-using survivor, as it just increases the practicality and mobility of your weapon.

(also I think it would be great if pistols could actually store pistols, the way that boots can store a knife in them instead of just increasing storage capacity by a few units.)

If any of these things are already in the experimental, someone can correct me on this, but I know for a fact they weren’t released into the last stable build.

I’ve considered modding this in myself in the past, but I think that someone else could probably do it better than I could, and I don’t think this is just something that I would appreciate, but that all players who use bows and rifles would.

It has been mentioned on other threads about making sheathes for melee weapons and I suppose that in a way that idea goes in hand with this one, and I support the creation and implementation of both into the game.

Right now we do actually have pistol holsters and sheaths/scabbards for melee weapons in the experimentals!
The holster system right now allows you to (f)ire with empty hands, and your character will draw the pistol and fire. I’d definitely like to see shoulder straps for larger weapons though.

I would shit bricks if someone added the ability to wear bows.

[quote=“Datanazush, post:2, topic:6278”]Right now we do actually have pistol holsters and sheaths/scabbards for melee weapons in the experimentals!
The holster system right now allows you to (f)ire with empty hands, and your character will draw the pistol and fire. I’d definitely like to see shoulder straps for larger weapons though.[/quote]It’d be nice to also be able to fast draw with an item in your hands and just drop the item on the ground.

I had a bit of a play with the experimentals code and so far i’ve got a rifle sling working, it’s basicy a holster that takes rifles.
Now i really want to work out how to get it to take shotguns and SMGs.

But did you have it add encumbrance or…?

Pretty sure he means it’s an article of clothing that can store a rifle rather than something that makes a rifle wearable. My perfectionist streak demands that we have the latter instead of the former.

Tomato, tomahto?

Yeah, that’s a rifle scabbard rather than a sling. Point of a sling is that you can just let go or slide the weapon out of your way.

(Quickest example I have: Hudson slings his M41A to run the bypass in Aliens. Hicks has a shotgun in a scabbard on his back, so it’s handy for close encounters.)

If I may add in a suggestion. Regular Slings and Combat slings. combat slings having no or lower encumbrance

I think encumbrance should somehow (magic?) be linked to a combination of the weight and volume of a weapon, rather than having one sling just be better than another.

…Now I want shotgun scabbards.

When I heard about the straps for guns, I immediately thought of both Neo Scavenger and the Alien 3 game for the (I think) SNES.

I don’t know why I thought of Alien 3, the only time a Assault Rifle is used with a strap in that game is when Ripley is swinging on something.

I think encumbrance should somehow (magic?) be linked to a combination of the weight and volume of a weapon, rather than having one sling just be better than another.[/quote]
yea, you’d have the gun properties handy, so deriving encumbrance from them wouldn’t be a problem.

If i had a proper idea of what i was doing, then i would do that.

Seems like a valid thread to throw this idea into, I hope.
Perhaps a sheath could hold more than just knives? Trowels, maybe, or screwdrivers, soldering irons, etc? Small tools is what I’m thinking.
It’s depressing finding a sheath early on and having nothing that fits into it.

[quote=“Stelknecht, post:16, topic:6278”]Seems like a valid thread to throw this idea into, I hope.
Perhaps a sheath could hold more than just knives? Trowels, maybe, or screwdrivers, soldering irons, etc? Small tools is what I’m thinking.
It’s depressing finding a sheath early on and having nothing that fits into it.[/quote]

That’s been kicked around for the tool belt.

I would love a throwing knife bandoleer.