Rifle / shotgun straping

hello my favorite Dev / community :slight_smile:

i’ve a little suggestion concerning firearm:
simply add strap to rifle and shotgun (long string / short rope and/or leather belt for example), this may allow to wear weapon like cloth on the shoulder (encumbrance on torse of course).
in this way, we can keep hand warm in the pocket or take in hand too bulky item and preserve inventory volume.

i apologise for my “medium” english :confused:

thanks for reading :slight_smile:

This is something we want to do, but we need to clean up some legacy stuff in the item handling code to make it work.

So should I just hold off on the hydration pack pull request I was working on til that goes through? I’ve been having some issues with the code anyway.

So should I just hold off on the hydration pack pull request I was working on til that goes through? I’ve been having some issues with the code anyway.[/quote]

Depends, ‘something we want to do’ does not mean it is almost done or will be done in foreseeable future.

Stupid question, why not use the existing Holister system?

Stupid question, why not use the existing Holister system?[/quote]

Would work strange.

You would wear sling item, attach SMG onto it, then you would detach it to hold and shoot from it, then, you would attach it to sling again. In between, you are wearing ‘empty’ sling. Bit silly.

Stupid question, why not use the existing Holister system?[/quote]

Would work strange.

You would wear sling item, attach SMG onto it, then you would detach it to hold and shoot from it, then, you would attach it to sling again. In between, you are wearing ‘empty’ sling. Bit silly.[/quote]

…You guys don’t activate hollisters and crap while their still on you?

We do, but while grabbing pistol from holster results in pistol in hand and empty holster - OK, grabbing SMG would result in SMG without sling in hands and empty sling over your shoulder, which is silly.

In my small experience shooting guns, a sling helps when you’re shooting. So taking it off of the sling is silly when it could give you a little edge in aiming.

It’s a quite handy thing when you need to switch weapons in an emergency, your gun jams or runs dry and there’s no safe area to solve this problem? Drop your rifle, grab your pistol, and keep shooting. The sling means you won’t lose it.

Oh yeah that too.

What about a gun mod, a strap, that lets you ‘wear’ the gun like clothing?

That would be the proper way to do it, but as the code works now, I believe it’d require casting every applicable gun as a tool_armor instead (think any wearable you can activate), and maybe even having to transform it back into a firearm to shoot it. If it didn’t require so much coding and restructuring to do it sensibly, I would have already pr’ed it myself.

By the way, the solution (which will take a while, but be worth doing) is to make itypes “composable”, that is an itype defines a way you can interact with an item, e.g. firing it, wearing it, activating it. Then guns with a sling would simply have a “wearable” itype attached to them.

This does require overhauling every item definition in the game though, so not something I’m looking forward to :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:15, topic:7780”]By the way, the solution (which will take a while, but be worth doing) is to make itypes “composable”, that is an itype defines a way you can interact with an item, e.g. firing it, wearing it, activating it. Then guns with a sling would simply have a “wearable” itype attached to them.

This does require overhauling every item definition in the game though, so not something I’m looking forward to :P[/quote]
Sounds like something we should put a Kickstarter money reward for.

thanks a lot for reading and answer.
i ll keep praying at strange temple to see some straping mechanic in a future day. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:15, topic:7780”]By the way, the solution (which will take a while, but be worth doing) is to make itypes “composable”, that is an itype defines a way you can interact with an item, e.g. firing it, wearing it, activating it. Then guns with a sling would simply have a “wearable” itype attached to them.

This does require overhauling every item definition in the game though, so not something I’m looking forward to :P[/quote]

I’m definitely rusty in terms of coding, so I’m more than happy to contribute by doing the grunt work in cases like this. Once you’ve got the pull request, just point me to it, and I’ll get to json’ing like it’s Heavy Rain.