Weapon Condition

my guns are as important to me as my car. if there is so much customization available to cars, why not to the primary weapon of most survivors?

one size of car doesn’t fit all situations, neither should a gun.[/quote]

The same can be said for a good blade. The right grip, hand-guard, or edge for you can mark the difference between a great sword and a worthless steel lump.[/quote]

I’ll agree with you there somewhat. we’re not engaging in melee combat with another weapon wielding opponent so few things that a sword or other ‘medieval’ weapons were made for are particularly useful

that being said a change of grip and sharpening of the edge could do wonders, but even a dull broadsword cuts flesh to an extent.

The idea is that very few of these would be evident, unless you start wanting to build your own guns. Guns would be pre-assembled as per usual, but for those who want to, you could take them apart and swap out bits.

If you don’t have mechanics/gunsmithing/whatever skill is used, you could just get a new gun when it breaks, or repair it ala repairing a car, instead of putting new bits in.

my guns are as important to me as my car. if there is so much customization available to cars, why not to the primary weapon of most survivors?

The same can be said for a good blade. The right grip, hand-guard, or edge for you can mark the difference between a great sword and a worthless steel lump.[/quote]

I’ll agree with you there somewhat. we’re not engaging in melee combat with another weapon wielding opponent so few things that a sword or other ‘medieval’ weapons were made for are particularly useful

that being said a change of grip and sharpening of the edge could do wonders, but even a dull broadsword cuts flesh to an extent.[/quote]

You may be a gun geek, but you make a terrible sword fanatic.

A major part of the hand guard is punching your opponent in the face. More often than not, that is the only purpose, unless you are fighting a very skilled swordsman that can actually hit your tiny fingers on a fast moving object.

that being said a change of grip and sharpening of the edge could do wonders, but even a dull broadsword cuts flesh to an extent.[/quote]

You may be a gun geek, but you make a terrible sword fanatic.

A major part of the hand guard is punching your opponent in the face. More often than not, that is the only purpose, unless you are fighting a very skilled swordsman that can actually hit your tiny fingers on a fast moving object.[/quote]

You don’t actually have to aim for the fingers.
If a sword doesn’t have a handguard all they need to do is bash your sword and scrape down. It’s a dangerous manouvre (they’d lose leverage on your weapon, meaning you could get in a good poke to the face) but done right you lose all fingers at the joint. With a handguard, you’re entirely correct though.

Again, it all depends on the type of sword in question, but modifying a sword grip is a very technical matter if you don’t know what you’re doing and the benefit would be almost negligible unless the weapon in question came with a broken grip.

About guns being components.

Where you would find these components?

1. Lying around randomly (realism–)
  2. Gunshops and gun factories / gunsmiths (Rarity?)
    3a) Disassembling guns to generic parts (realism–)
    3b) Disassembling guns to model specific parts (find duplicates=mandatory)
  3. Manufacture yourself (gunsmith shop=realistic, basic tools=ok).

Now… Lets evaluate how this changes gameplay… So we have micromanagement of gun parts? How does that reflect to game? You end up having ±accuracy, ±damage, ± recoil, ±reload or (if implemented) ±durability changes. All these are gamewise just stats changing. Why we need complete detailed manufacturing tool/component system to change stats? - that is very basic issue of complicating simple thing for no real meaningful effect, if you want to change gun stat, then make a stat-changing item, model-specific or generic, requiring skill or not - because that fills the end purpose of changing some stat - anything more complex is just ahem wanking for the sake of wanking it.

Someone argumented that cars are build in complex way, guns should too. Heres counter-argument:

Creating cars services different purpose; cars are large in-map presented dynamic objects that interact -as complex map-presented object - with world. Therefore it makes a lot of difference if you make car modifications certain style - like additional mineplower wheelset, or zombie shield or protected mobile fortress. All these things affect map-level things in grander scale than just “car-stat”. There is no representation of “better grip on gun” other than recoil-stat changing. Therefore its unneccesary to make gun-design system too detailed, simply because beyond attack stats nothing changes.

i think you missed range, handedness, calliber, size, weight, special munotions, and resource draw, when it comes to the weapons system expansions.

well i think the idea here is good in frame work and its up to the creatures to balance it out. but npcs might have more of a use now.say you have a really nice ar-15 (i think thats right?) and for some reason you fall and end up cracking your charging handel.then you come across a npc that has the skills and parts to repair your gun while you dont.well then we have a favor for a favor quest.but to balance it because guns can be almost op if your carefull about how you use them you really have to bring them somethign worthwhile since that gun can save your llife 10 times over.or we could just have a rare spawning gundealer?

I can almost imagine you getting a good deal of money from selling a pretty much broken or breaking weapon to them if they have little experience with firearms and you can bluff well.

The thing about firearms is usually tens of thousands of rounds are put through them before mass production and usually new ones are tested too before sending them to the stores, or to the customer.
I’d add things like firing them in full auto for long could harm them, unless they are designed for it, if you submerge direct impingement guns in liquids and you fire them, they’d break, if you don’t check them if they drained completely after getting out of that liquid, you’d have a chance of it breaking. They should have a realistic chance of jamming, for example a Desert Eagle more, than a Glock.
The P90 is likely to jam if you fire it sideways, at least that’s what I’ve heard.
Just for fun here are some relevant stuff:

[ul][li]AK on fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAohtjG14c[/li]
[li]How to set your AR-15 on fire (I recommend this for people, who are confusing modern AR-15s with the XM-16E1, and I recommend the guy’s content to anyone interested in firearms, photography and some random cool stuff): http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/08/23/how-to-set-your-ar-15-on-fire/[/li]
[li]Pictures of guns breaking and the stories behind them: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/?s=kaboom[/li][/ul]

P.S.: I seem to like lists.

very rarely will a gun Kaboom from water, and its going to take A LOT to destroy a gun

For instance ive only ever had to replace the barrel of my Remington made WW2 era 1911A1 once so far. I got it in 2002, shot well over 15,000 rounds through it over a several years, ranging from standard loads to +P handloads, and I had to replace the barrel on it because it became a smooth bore almost. (you could barely see the rifling) it took over 15,000 rounds+ whatever had gone through it before (3 people owned this gun before me and nobody knows how many hands it saw before that)

needless to say it takes a lot to wear down a gun, and with basic maintenance you can go a long way, the only other thing ive had to replace on this gun is the recoil spring because I lost the old one field stripping it.

also Iraqveteran8888 has a series of videos where they try to destroy a single barrel .410 shotgun by shooting all kinds of stuff through it. (.454 casull .460 S&W, various handloads) it took loading a cartridge with range trash powder (mixed powder, from pistol powder to super hot magnum rifle powders all mixed together basically making something super high velocity and pressured) to destroy the shotgun.

oh yeah and then they put some .50 BMG through a single barrel 12 gauge. it didn’t explode.

I’ve heard it can affect DI rifles if gets in the gas tube, but maybe that’s just a myth and it happens to any gun where the water can’t move quickly enough out of the way of the bullet, causing over-pressure. I’ve found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU

Yes it can effect Direct impingement rifles (This is a gas system in which gas goes straight from the barrel through the gas tube and onto the bolt, like on a AR-15 rifle.) (Although some AR-15’s have Gas-pistons, and Gas pistons being similar but instead of going straight onto the bolt it goes onto a pistol that hits the bolt, and this is where gunk builds up instead of around the bolt. which is what makes the Kalishnikov design so reliable) But its very rare with DI rifles because the gas tubes used are VERY small, not much water will get in, but not much will get out either very quickly.

That’s why I wrote it this way:

if you submerge direct impingement guns in liquids and you fire them

Yeah, I’d like to chime in and say ‘guns don’t work like that’ when it comes to weapon condition or breaking. Firearms simply don’t break from routine use, up to tens of thousands of rounds which is really beyond the scope of something like this game. Really, it’s fine the way it is. Weapons never breaking is much more realistic then something like Fallout where your weapon rusts into uselessness after a handful of firefights.

I second this. Though you should have a chance of surprise with things, like hand-loaded 5.7.

[quote=“ballfairy, post:30, topic:1332”]also Iraqveteran8888 has a series of videos where they try to destroy a single barrel .410 shotgun by shooting all kinds of stuff through it. (.454 casull .460 S&W, various handloads) it took loading a cartridge with range trash powder (mixed powder, from pistol powder to super hot magnum rifle powders all mixed together basically making something super high velocity and pressured) to destroy the shotgun.

oh yeah and then they put some .50 BMG through a single barrel 12 gauge. it didn’t explode.[/quote]

Yea, I really enjoy their videos. When we were having an intense IRC discussion on gun model spawns, their channel was one of the top results for gun store tours. Especially, their series on the .410 shotgun and their Firearm Facts series. They’re like Mythbusters, or even Duck Dynasty, for gun owners. :smiley: (A&E are you listening?)

I could watch barry and eric and chad and that other guy (the guy who has a fishing channel, sorry I forgot your name) talk about guns and gunsmithing all day. (and sometimes I do)

Also, to the coders, ive got a new use for the pocket knife you start with.

CUTSHELLS ANYONE? (slightly weaker than slugs, but you get no shotgun hull)

seriously that would be awesome

‘Duck Dynasty’?

Google? I’ll even make a link: duck dynasty - Google Search

[spoiler]Seriously, though, I don’t want to derail the thread further, even for the second most popular A&E series, just behind The Walking Dead. :wink:

By the way, in most modern browsers you can highlight a word or phrase with your mouse then right-click to do a search on it.[/spoiler]

Wiki’d cutshot.
Also you tubed.
And dug around the internets a bit.

Fucking horrendous when it goes wrong, shit explodes and guns turn into bombs.