Weapon Condition

Melee weapon condition would be great. After a time your trusty machete that has chopped through lots and lots of shit is blunted…or it simply breaks when you hit the next zombie…so you have to sharpen and maintain your weapons.

Could be cool. Of course this could also translate to bonuses or penalties, depending.

[size=8pt]Skimmed through the thread. Sorry if this has been covered already.[/size]

Weapon cleaning! And oiling, just to keep it sexy.
Been out hunting horrifying vermin in a swamp all day? Oh my, I bet your precious pea shooter or large bore rifle helped out quite a bit. Yeah? So say thanks, you bastard! Guns need love too or they’ll quit on you when you need them the most. Nab your crafted (or potentially stolen) weapon cleaning kit and get to work, soldier boy. Even an AK will give up on you if you fill it with enough gore, and I’m guessing you don’t even have one of those. Bottom line, guns don’t work if they’re dirty.

Also, this is why I think general weapon reliability needs to be a thing for the game. Higher reliability for simpler designs like revolvers. Low capacity but you can count on it saving your life in a pinch. Ye olde balance.
That custom engraved, ivory grip, golden automatic pistol of yours may be having a bad day if you haven’t been looking after it right. (So misfires and jams happen, which really needs to cost some turns to fix.) Everything from a weak hammer pull or misfeed (easy, quick fix) to a complete and utter malfunction (better field strip that sucker, which takes TIME).

All of this is going to make it into vidyagames eventually (you know, once the call of doodies or battlefields dumb it down enough) so why not be one of the pioneers? Plus, it’ll give your character something to do before going to bed after jerking it to that hot alien lady picture in the back of that one scifi book for the sixteenth time.

I think we agreed that in reality guns are nowhere near as fragile, than in Fallout 3.
Also: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/10/10/guns-of-the-modern-pirate/

[quote=“Wayfarer, post:41, topic:1332”]Melee weapon condition would be great. After a time your trusty machete that has chopped through lots and lots of shit is blunted…or it simply breaks when you hit the next zombie…so you have to sharpen and maintain your weapons.

Could be cool. Of course this could also translate to bonuses or penalties, depending.[/quote]

As I replied to GlyphGryph a while ago: I stopped playing NetHack because of that sort of fiddly drek. Every new consumable-requirement is an opportunity for RNG screwage and a potential turnoff for new players.

I think that following with weapons HP and maintenance, there should also be new weapon mods to go along with it. Like, an idea for a rifle is a reinforced alloy receiver, lowering the weight and raising the HP of it. There could be other ones touching on firing mechanisms, barrels and ect.

Also, I think that weapon maintenance should be it’s own skill. Items like cleaning kits and whetstones could be used to raise it, very much like sewing and what not.

[quote=“Máté, post:43, topic:1332”]I think we agreed that in reality guns are nowhere near as fragile, than in Fallout 3.
Also: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/10/10/guns-of-the-modern-pirate/[/quote]

Guns in fallout are made of paper apparently, also your limbs are made of sticks.

I’d definitely be in favor of weapon conditions being added.

I always found it amusing that I could get through the apocalypse with the same sharpened stick I started with.

It also gives people a reason to craft/find better, more durable weapons than the junk that’s lying around, besides better damage. A lot of items you could just pick up and apply basic modifications to would be damn good weapons - right up until they broke. Durability could be a real game-changer for how people engage zombies and how people behave in the first hours of the game. It’s really easy to start with a buff combat-twink, pick up a two-by-four, and just go to town. You can pretty much clear out a small town immediately after spawning if you have a brute of a character and a chunk of wood you pried out of a window.

Durability could change that, make people less prone to luring an entire town into a window to poke them to death. Unless they have a stockpile of pointy sticks, anyway.

I dunno much about guns, so I’ll let the gun people figure out that.

Guns with HP? NOPE.

I’d like to see issues from things such as swimming through a river/pool of acid, getting vomited on, lit on fire, etc.
However, when it comes to regular (as intended) use of guns, it doesn’t seem very plausible that the gun just breaks.
On the other hand, getting spit on with acid, bashing dozens of zombies with your rifle, these things should at the very least, increase the chance of jamming, misfiring, etc.

that would actually be a neat effect to see, if you get boomer’d/spit/sewage waste/etc on your character that isn’t just a normal watery liquid, it would be neat to see it affect guns, causing misfires/jams and to make the weapon function again you could douse it with water/clean out the action with a shirt/rag/etc normal liquids aren’t going to rust/seriously effect a firearm unless its there for a long period of time. a quick river crossing with your SKS slung across your back wont hurt it.

guns degrading overtime only makes sense in FNV/F3 as a gameplay tool, adding to a list of things your character needs to spend caps on, however in FNV if you have a decent repair skill you can make tons of money building repair kits and fixing medium-high level guns, so its sort of negated since caps can be so easy to get.

[quote=“ballfairy, post:50, topic:1332”]that would actually be a neat effect to see, if you get boomer’d/spit/sewage waste/etc on your character that isn’t just a normal watery liquid, it would be neat to see it affect guns, causing misfires/jams and to make the weapon function again you could douse it with water/clean out the action with a shirt/rag/etc normal liquids aren’t going to rust/seriously effect a firearm unless its there for a long period of time. a quick river crossing with your SKS slung across your back wont hurt it.

guns degrading overtime only makes sense in FNV/F3 as a gameplay tool, adding to a list of things your character needs to spend caps on, however in FNV if you have a decent repair skill you can make tons of money building repair kits and fixing medium-high level guns, so its sort of negated since caps can be so easy to get.[/quote]
I second this.
As far as FO: NV goes I modded the shit out of that, including more believable weapon degradation.

Even when you break a limb it sounds like twigs breaking, not that you’re saying.

Idk if this has been suggested in the walls of text but how bout getting direct hit by spitter acid degrade any wielded fire arm?
Since their spits seems to rust everything to nothing…

Also weapon crafting recipes would be nice if you can break down the components (probably suggested) Stock, barrel, trigger, would be some components. You can specify them into things like single fire trigger, full auto trigger, short barrel, long barrel… wood stock… etc.

actually that would be really neat as a gunsmithing type option, different barrel lengths identified by caliber .308/.223/7.62x39/etc (IE: a FAL could have a 16 inch .308 barrel but you could put a longer barrel on it, say 21 inch .308 barrel increasing damage slightly and range, or you could put a shorter barrel on it, decreasing weight slightly, and making the weapon louder, while also having the reverse effects of a longer barrel. different stocks/furniture for things like AR’s and AK’s for instance with a AK you could find one in a standard configuration (Wood stock, wood forearm) but you could also get things like (Synthetic/polymer stock and forearm) decreasing weight, while not loosing any of the effectiveness of the weapon. or you could decrease the weight even more so by adding a underfolder wire stock, or a side folder like on the AMD-65, but you loose some effectiveness of the weapon since you cannot get a good cheekweld)

or for AR-15’s/M4’s you could have your standard aluminum receiver, BUT you could find a ULTRA RARE (maybe in a gunstore or bank vault) Titanium receiver decreasing weight and making a near indestructible weapon. but this is just a option, would be neat to see adding to the options for customizing weapons

Yeah, but different barrel length would require different length gas tube and handguard too…
Also, don’t most AKs come with plastic furnishing anyway nowadays?

most all Arsenal AK’s do and some /other/ 74’s do but most still will have wood furniture most all of the norinco AK’s had wood furniture when they were imported, except some of the MAK-90’s

also I have a great idea for a new perk that has to do with tapco products and modifying Russian firearms.

[size=99pt]IVAN[/size]

/k/ommandos
/k/ommandos everywhere

/k/ommandos
/k/ommandos everywhere[/quote]

IVE BEEN SPOTTED.

BACK TO THE BUN/k/ERS

[quote=“KA101, post:44, topic:1332”][quote=“Wayfarer, post:41, topic:1332”]Melee weapon condition would be great. After a time your trusty machete that has chopped through lots and lots of shit is blunted…or it simply breaks when you hit the next zombie…so you have to sharpen and maintain your weapons.

Could be cool. Of course this could also translate to bonuses or penalties, depending.[/quote]

As I replied to GlyphGryph a while ago: I stopped playing NetHack because of that sort of fiddly drek. Every new consumable-requirement is an opportunity for RNG screwage and a potential turnoff for new players.[/quote]

That’s a good point, of course. I remember, before Skyrim came out, threads about the weapon condition being removed. One side saying “realism!” the other saying “tedium!”. Applies here, too. You can look at it the same as how close-quarters fights often result in repairing pretty much every article of clothing you’re wearing… (Side note, it’d be great to be able to repair leather clothing).

So I think it needs to be balanced somehow, like everything. A reasonable amount of player-time to do so, an appropriate amount of in-game time taken by Mr Survivor to do whatever, with a logical outcome/reward. Not pushing for micro-management, a simpler idea may be better. Eventually, it could be that a weapon simply can’t be maintained or repaired and breaks anyway.

In addition to the obvious prevention of being left without a weapon at a critical point, I like the idea of keeping your weapons (and also clothing/armour) maintained results in either some kind of bonus (good condition) or penalty (bad condition). Nothing too overpowering or crippling perhaps. Unless you want hard :wink:

The various tools could be found in appropriate places - whetstones and oil for bladed weapons/tools could be in hardware/sporting shops, gun stuff obviously in gun stores.

I believe this is in the latest git build.

I definitely prefer quality modifiers over general condition, for certain kinds of weapons we might need several of these.
For example, a cutting weapon (katana/machete/etc) might be razor sharp the first time you behead a zombie, but there are many levels of sharpness, having razor sharp, sharp, dull, and really dull might make more sense than well maintained, normal, and poorly maintained.
On the other hand, I don’t see a sledgehammer needing anything other than slight maintenance to make sure the sledge doesn’t fly off the handle.

I’ve heard (real?) katanas are really durable, and if a sledge is getting loose you could just hit the handle against the ground every once in a while until you can repair it properly.