We make bad suggestions and come up with horrible ideas

I actually like the idea of overstuffing objects with a chance to loose them…

But, managing pockets… I feel a bite wound would become infected by the time I found my first aid kit and die before figuring out which pocket I put my antibiotics in.

Some random ideas Ive thought up involving NPCs without having to actually code anything just use of the Console. Sorry if someone else has mentioned this sort of thing before:

TLDR: Using the console to allow NPCS to craft and build for you with the appropriate items and skills. Also trading for basic goods that uses INT and the Barter skill, and Custom Missions from the Govt Representative to clear out areas for some MREs and stuff, encountering Mutant NPCs, NPCs driving vehicles for you

I’ve seen it mentioned before that people wonder why NPCs can’t construct things (fences etc) or cook food and stuff while you’re out looting/scavenging. In a way, they can, though its a little hacky/consoley and requires your willing to roleplay.

If an NPC has the skill to cook things, like for example Meat Jerky. You place a pile of the materials required at wherever you cook (Ten meat chunks, the salt needed etc) . Lets say they cook x10 of them. It takes 3 hrs in game. So if you’ve been out scavenging or whatever or are doing other things at your base, after 3 hrs or more they finish cooking it: You take the raw materials needed to make it and destroy them and then spawn the finished meat jerky. In this way, NPC can ‘craft’ for you though like I said it requires some roleplaying/console use on your part.

And for construction lets say you want them to build 4 sandbag barricades: You get the 8 canvas sacks and the sand needed, and it takes 4 hrs to build. After 4 hours pass in your game, it gets built (You spawn it via console, and destroy/place the items needed in a seperate pile somewhere; in case you ever were to ‘deconstruct’ them for example)

Other random thought for trading:

You could find a secure/ideal place that you clear out or create with tents to make a Trading Post. At this you could trade extra/excess stuff you have for basic goods (Some foods and improvised gear; no Bionics etc as a matter of game balance) Your intelligence and barter skill could come into this calculation. Lets say that 3 meat jerky costs $200, depending on your barter/int it would get adjusted (Example: you have 8 int and 0 barter so you have to pay $300 for the jerky, something like that) Whereas if you had 4 barter it would reduce the buying price by like 20% or something (Thus making a use for the Barter skill) Keep in mind that I play with higher item spawn rate so I usually have extra stuff I could trade. The trading posts could have a demand for certain items every 7 days or something (Example: you roll a d10 and you get a 1, 1 being food so if you traded excess food you get a 10% bonus to the selling price because they need food more than tools/weapons) The Refugee Centers could also fulfil the role of a Trading Post in this way.

And also with the Refugee Center, the Government representative guy could give you ‘missions’ I.E. Clear out the city next to us of Zombies/Threats and I’ll give you 10 Mres when you’re done, something like that. Or he could want you to gather blood samples/pictures of dangerours monsters (Jabberwocks and so on) and would pay you in MREs or something

One other Idea that I saw someone post on the Cataclysm DDA Reddit (Not my original idea): To encounter mutant NPCs, you could roll a d10 or something and that could determine if they are a mutant and what kind (Example: You roll a 1, they are standard human, you roll a 2, they are a spider, you roll a 10 they are a chimera, etc. etc.)

Another idea I thought of: NPCs driving vehicles, again using the console you could drive your main vehicle and NPCs back to base, then using the console teleport back to another vehicle and also drive it home (As if one of your group drove the vehicle behind your main one or whatever.) Sure again a little hacky but it works with imagination/Roleplaying.

Anyway those are just some random ideas I thought of, if other people might have fun with that then go for it, and if its not your cup of tea thats fine too. I know its a bit hacky/arbitrary but its a way to have more trading/NPC interaction without anyone having to actually code the behavior/features directly in, just requires some imagination on your part.

Have fun Humans (and my Fellow Mutant) survivors.

What is this?, good but possibly hard to implement ideas? not on my watch!

Terrible idea:Holiday events!

Since the game does not use months, but ratter seasons we use those, so every 25 of winter if your survivor has not done anything bad (eaten people, killed innocents, etc…) a survivor in a red coat comes to visit you and leaves you a present, if you have been bad however…

so be good, because post apocalyptic Santa is always watching

what other seasonal events could the game have?

This is a great idea:
Instead the hassle of manually trying to determine if your survivor lives or dies and at what time by playing the game and waiting for the end, after you create a character it immediately skips to the death screen and details a few events that led up to your characters death. These events would be randomized and would entirely depend on your skills, traits, profession, starting area, and scenario that you picked in character creation.

This system would keep my play hours short so I could go outside or something irl.

Or you’d have enough time to play Dwarf Fortress.

New notable feature in discourse.
If you click the :link: icon and then “+ New Topic”, you can open a new topic that forks off from this one.
If you find yourself starting an in-depth conversation you think people will be interested in (or an off-topic good idea), consider trying it out.

1 Like

Suicidal trait: your character occasionally attempts to end their life throughout the various situations you put them in.

Examples:

• You are driving down a bridge; suicidal tendencies kick in; car swerves to the side drowning you and your collection.

• You are casually reading a book; suicidal tendencies kick in; a pin on your grenade belt is secretly pulled and a surprise explosion awakes you from your studies.

• You are running from a hoard; suicidal tendencies kick in; you violently smash keypad 6 as your character occasionally takes a step towards the threat.

• You finally get access to the controls of a missile silo; suicidal tendencies kick in; you know how this one ends.

• You attempt to make a mininuke launcher; suicidal tendencies kick in; the spring mechanism is secretly installed backwards to induce future fun.

• You are sneaking through an infested town at night gathering supplies; suicidal tendencies kick in; the event log now displays “You hear yourself shout loudly!”.

Radioactive Mutation tree: It’s what happens when you go into that sludge.

Like those other hidden/Easter egg trees, it would occur by standing in radioactive sludge for too long and having no idea about it. For every 50% chance of getting one mutation, there is also a 50% chance of mutating towards the Radioactive tree.

One the character becomes Radioactive, they are locked to that tree, and forced to continue if they wish to survive.

How I would imagine it: Radioactive creatures would ignore the player after a while, and humans would kill try to kill them on sight due to their disfigured appearance. The layer would slowly kills living things around them due to being radioactive, and would need to live off of the sludge that comes from things they’ve melted down.

It would basically be a little 'Well, what did you expect idiot, to become Spider-man?".

And for fun maybe add a higher chance for spider mutations than other trees when Radioactive isn’t chosen, or add spiders that can spread it to the player through bites.

Got another one: Androids.

They can’t mutate, or have very little mutations, but have more CBM space and special CBMs only they can use due to not having so much organic stuff in the way.

EDIT:

A little more explanation.

They would also run off power, meaning if they didn’t get say gasoline/batteries/diesel etc, they would die. Many things like weather, food, all that wouldn’t affect them, but at the cost of them not being human. NPCs probably wouldn’t trust an Android, and powering an Android’s systems in the apocalypse would be hard.

Repair kits would replace Medkits, just like Power instead of Hunger. CBMs that don’t make sense for humans would become Android Parts, allowing the upgrading of Androids, and due to their extra space they would aim for a CBM/Parts endgame vs mutations. This might also make mutations more appealing since a human couldn’t go beyond demigod status anymore with CBMs.

There would of course be the problem starting traits, but Androids would probably have personality programming anyways, and I assume by the time anything like this could be implemented starting traits would have another overhaul.

Quadruple Barrel Shotguns.

Actually can we please have these?

These are far from being such a bad idea.
Three barreled shotguns exist commercially but they’re super esoteric insanely expensive guns. However, a craftable quad barrel shottie is very much doable and rather clever, so you completely missed the point of the thread with this one :joy:
Otherwise, as a very bad idea:
Nuts and bolts. Of all possible sizes, including both metric and imperial. You can get them from taking apart other mechanical things but they have weight and volume to them. Any bigger ones (like found on heavy equipment) needs specialized tools.
You’re welcome.

1 Like

I’ll have to up the bad-idea then. Or maybe just make it better.

Don’t forget the defibrillator. (Gun not medical device)

I have already come up with something new again, which may or may not be bad.

Alien/Mutated CBMs. They’re found by artifacts/labs where they were being modified by scientists or such.

They would have weird affects on the player, like a flesh-substance growing over it and attaching to the host, permanently affecting them with whatever the thing once was. This would also have interesting affects with Androids if they got added.

Maybe the player could or couldn’t create/finish some, though the idea is that they’re something you’re not sure if you can trust or not.

Kind of like how I always believe that artifact in the crater might be good before getting irradiated and spawning a few dozen portals because I know my end is near, except they’ve been infused with science.

You don’t seem to be getting the gist of this thread, it’s not just for ideas that may or may not fit in the game, this thread is for terrible ideas that shouldn’t even be considered.

Example (pretty sure it’s been posted before): 1 / 1000 chance that when a Hulk smashes through a wall near the player, it shouts “OH YEAH!” and then tries to force the player to drink a red liquid it pours out of the top of its head. The symbol for the hulk would be replaced with a red ‘@’, or in tiles mode an oversized anthropomorphic glass pitcher.

I’m mainly posting them here because I’ve never had a decent idea that would be easy to make. I haven’t blasted to my worst ones yet, it takes time for that, but when i get there it will certainly be good, and I’ll think of one now:

NPC bdsm hub, only one way in, no way out.

Coffee enema, it’s real.

Parasite system, where the person has to take care of the parasite eggs inside them until they hatch like some weird Japanese book.

Crippled trait, cannot walk/run, must use a wheelchair. Does not spawn with a wheel chair.

Let NPCs give any item for quests, regardless of rarity, or state. Whether its a Granade or a Cigarette Butt.

"Urist McSurvivor gives you “Mininuke, (Active) (1)”

They may have actually been able to do this at one point, I’m not sure. Lets bring it back if so.

1 Like