Vehicle Show and Tell

i’m the usual guy, i’ve got my school bus, pimped out with spikes, rams and turrets.
i have about seven companions, all equipped with the best gear i can find, each of them have a melee and ranged weapon.
there is a door at the back of the bus with some mil comp rams attached, what we do is reverse into a building to destroy its wall, then we use the door to go in, get whatever we need and go out.

oh, i’m also giving myself bonus points because i listen to the “magic school bus” theme when i drive it

XD yes. A common strat, but highly effective.

Version 2 of my “minimalist solar RV”. Not exactly sure why its top speed is so low. It’s sitting on 4 17" wheels which probably explains the bad off-road? The V6 engine is really just for an alternative electricity generator (it’s covered in solar panels). Is there a more efficient engine for that purpose?

I love the idea of just a UPS station for the tools I want instead of dedicated chemistry, kitchen, foodco, forge, welder stations etc. Every tool I use is stacked in the UPS station with a conversion mod.

[quote=“jcd, post:1239, topic:207”]The idea of repurposing a really large electric engine for use on a car sounds really interesting to me. Something stolen out of a mini or micro hydropower project would fit it nicely…
Something like a 80 - 200KW generator. Now, a quick search on new england does not procure good info on if/what kind of small hydropower capacities are installed.
If anyone knows a bit more, we could think about adding some kind of small hydro power plant building with its valuable engines ;)[/quote]

Not really viable at the time, for the following reason:

a) It would use way too much power, you’d need an enormous vehicle with a ton of batteries and solar panels, and even then it wouldn’t last longer than a few hours - which ain’t much ingame, especially when a horde is following you (due to the loud noise described in b )

b) A big electric engine like this will make a lot of noise, probably at the same range as a normal diesel or gasoline engine, therefore nullifying one of the reasons you’d want to use an electric engine. I know this from experience too, as you probably took the Idea from my post above - the engine I ended up with - which was able to move my vehicle at the same speed as 2-3 big electric engines in the past - made an enormous amount of noise. Even if you tone it down, it will most likely stay around 20-40 noise, depending on the size and power.

c) The size makes them impossible to use in normal vehicle creation, their weight wouldn’t help either. Most of those 80kw - 200kw generators/engines would be the size of various cars, if not bigger, and they would weight several tons. You would need to make it a multi-tile generator, which isn’t really supported yet, or split it into several smaller generators/engines, and then we’d be were we started.

[quote=“Kadian, post:1245, topic:207”]Not really viable at the time, for the following reason:

a) It would use way too much power, you’d need an enormous vehicle with a ton of batteries and solar panels, and even then it wouldn’t last longer than a few hours - which ain’t much ingame, especially when a horde is following you (due to the loud noise described in b )

b) A big electric engine like this will make a lot of noise, probably at the same range as a normal diesel or gasoline engine, therefore nullifying one of the reasons you’d want to use an electric engine. I know this from experience too, as you probably took the Idea from my post above - the engine I ended up with - which was able to move my vehicle at the same speed as 2-3 big electric engines in the past - made an enormous amount of noise. Even if you tone it down, it will most likely stay around 20-40 noise, depending on the size and power.

c) The size makes them impossible to use in normal vehicle creation, their weight wouldn’t help either. Most of those 80kw - 200kw generators/engines would be the size of various cars, if not bigger, and they would weight several tons. You would need to make it a multi-tile generator, which isn’t really supported yet, or split it into several smaller generators/engines, and then we’d be were we started.[/quote]

a) Definitely agree, still that is a good use for the plutonium generator. Also bear in mind that as your vehicle increases in size, the panels and batteries that can fit increase as well. I’m not thinking of a fast, agile, high mileage truck of course.
b) Definitely, but electric power in cata and IRL is too nice to pass up. 99% efficiency, renewable, easily storable, useful for lots of purposes. Also you don’t care about the noise if you are building such bases anyway.
c) I believe you are thinking of engines with nominal power in the GW’s if you think they are too large to fit. They’d be large, definitely (~2x2 car tiles sounds reasonable) and weight a couple of tons. But the point would be to use them when nothing else works (diesel and/or diesel-electric train engines would work too, but are still larger)

[quote=“jcd, post:1246, topic:207”]a) Definitely agree, still that is a good use for the plutonium generator. Also bear in mind that as your vehicle increases in size, the panels and batteries that can fit increase as well. I’m not thinking of a fast, agile, high mileage truck of course.
b) Definitely, but electric power in cata and IRL is too nice to pass up. 99% efficiency, renewable, easily storable, useful for lots of purposes. Also you don’t care about the noise if you are building such bases anyway.
c) I believe you are thinking of engines with nominal power in the GW’s if you think they are too large to fit. They’d be large, definitely (~2x2 car tiles sounds reasonable) and weight a couple of tons. But the point would be to use them when nothing else works (diesel and/or diesel-electric train engines would work too, but are still larger)[/quote]

to a) The problem persists ; Solar panels are just too…bad, at least if you stay within the first 2 tiers of panels/their reinforced variant. They need a lot of time to fill several batteries, and an engine like proposed would eat through batteries like there is no tomorrow. You would definitely need a reactor or a different kind of power source, maybe additional to the solar panels, which you can activate while driving.

to b) Actually, a lot of people would be interested in a mobile base whcih is at least somewhat silent. That does include me ; For example, I’m playing with hordes, and every single noise would mean that I keep getting swarmed by zombies, everywhere. This did happen to me in the past, I drove around in my mobile base with several gas-powered engines, went to sleep, and the next day I was in an ocean of zombies - there were so many in fact that I couldnt even drive the vehicle out. That’s why I only use rather silent turrets as well - usually laser turrets and/or flamethrowers and there like. I might have something heavier like a grenade or rocket launcher too, but i only use it manually against big enemies.

to c) I looked around a bit and found measurements like 3mX1.5mX1m ; smaller ones were still around 1.5mX1.5mX1m ; This is, in my book, as big as some small cars, especially if you consider that 1 car-tile is roughly supposed to be roughly around 0.5 metres.
Now you gonna ask me how i came to this measurement. Very well: a normal car in dda is 4x6 tiles big. On average, a car is around 4.5 meters long and 1.9metres wide. This means that we have 0.75m on length and 0.475m on width per tile. If you compare other cars and their tiles you get similar measurements, therefore I usually average it out to about 0.5 metres per tile. One bigger engine might therefore have measurements of 6x3 tiles, while smaller ones would still clock in at 3x3 ; even if we use the high estimate of 0.75 metres per tile we still get 4x2 on the bigger ones.

I’m rather fond of my ‘Juggernaut’, which is roughly based on the Age of Wonders III Juggernaut. It’s mostly an armoured box with a sharp prow, with guns mounted on the top and sides. The interior is a fairly compact living and crafting area. I drew a picture of it, which I’ll post when I get home to my scanner.

It has had a few alterations since I drew that picture.

I had a vision, of a humongous mobile base. Unfortunately the game didn’t agree with my vision, especially with the density and size of cities in my world. My M510 Mammoth’s first drive out was also his last, after my driver’s cabin exploded. In hindsight, smashing ~10 vehicles entirely, and collapsing 2 buildings wasn’t my smartest move… >.>

Totally worth it though :smiley:

Here is the beast (I was missing a couple solar arrays, some fancy tables and some 200L tanks but hey):

And here is the aftermath of the street where I crashed into cars after cars:

nice

How much damage did your vehicular devices take.

What are the performance differences between a regular diesel & an I6 diesel of comparable size?

And is there anything in-game that would survive 50-cal & an m72 but succumb to a 120mm?

Here is my first vehicle post in ages. It started life as a motorcycle. I raided multiple vehicles for specific parts. It has a forward mounted M2 Browning 50 caliber HMG. This is mainly for haha’s/oh shit moments. It runs off of storage batteries which I charge in a electric car out front of my base. It uses regular wheels for now till I can find better. Edit: I just added a harpoon launcher on the front I’ll actually use.

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:1253, topic:207”]What are the performance differences between a regular diesel & an I6 diesel of comparable size?

And is there anything in-game that would survive 50-cal & an m72 but succumb to a 120mm?[/quote]

.50 is anti-material, 120mm is anti-structure, fairly sure about that.

either way, pretty sure the difference is artillery vs non, so yeah, there are man-portable .50 caliber rifles, 120mm is a tank shell afaik.

[edit] so i’ve done some looking into it and i actually wasn’t able to really find comparable tests so i found a .50 against ballistics gel and a 75mm against a truck and a 155mm against well… anything i can find people shooting it at, not exactly easy to get a hold of.
so .50 cal here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9hCDr21mo

75mm here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgk5RSUnOhE

155mm here against steel plates (results are few and far between, as you’d expect) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUAuKPD5vBs

one big takeaway, is anything that’s measured in millimeters instead of caliber, well… that’s a large enough round to carry a payload instead of a straight up inert projectile, .50 can technically do this as well as it has explosive rounds, but nowhere near the ones a 75mm/120mm/155mm would have. [edit]

If by survive you mean would survive one critical damage shot, then tank drones, armored zombies, and shoggoths. Hulks, and maybe the big fungal structures as well. I don’t think any creature in the game can survive a tank shot… except maybe the dancer.

Quick questions about engines and vehicle weight : How does that work ? How can you know how much weight can an engine carry and what can you do when you get the “vehicle is too heavy for it’s engine” ?

9 times out of ten the “too heavy” error is because you built the vehicle over a bush or something. just look at the stats and as long as it has a positive acceleration stat then it should move.

There isnt a specific weight per se that an engine can move. If you drive it into shallow water and cant move anymore because water costs more movement points to move over, then it still says your car is too heavy.

I have a 120mm RWS that is so heavy I am unable to pick it up in order to repair it. Any ideas on how I can repair this?

I ran into pretty much the same problem as you. Only solution I had was to install hydraulic muscles on my survivor, giving her just enough strength to pick up the object.