Vehicle Show and Tell

Just tested, installing and removing frames works too. I would expect if frames are installed to connect the two parts, the game would give the error message when I try to remove the connection.

As for getting one part inside… maybe I can just find a garage to drive half of it inside.

Just recently started playing this game, been at it for a few days and finally learned how to do most of the stuff in the game.

This is what i have so far, it was a flatbed truck when i first started out, for some reason the Solar panels don’t show up in the edit menu from time to time (Just the icon on the thing, they show up everywhere else)
But pretty much between the four blades on the rear end of this thing are covered in Solar panels and battery swaps, besides the two outermost rear doors. And yes, its all covered in spiked plate, i ended up being surrounded by RV wrecks and solar-cars (Through not the 3 wheeler version, much to my disappointment), So i spent a few days pulling parts off of them, storing food out of the houses around, my mechanic skill is almost 21 now, since all I’ve been doing the past few in-game days is getting food, and tearing down any car in a safe area.

1 V12, 2 large electric (plus one V8 once i hit 21 mechanic) 1 truck alternator, since it supplies the most electric power when the engine is running, at least that’s what I’m hoping happens.
18 solar panels, 10 swap cases and batteries.
4 28" wide wheels and 2 27" wide, right where the blades are.
30gal drum of water, there happened to be an intact one in one of the RVs, and a small pond in front of a house, so that was easy to fill with clean water once i found a water purifier and modded it to run off plutonium cells i found in my local Lab.

I’ve yet to actually drive this thing anywhere, i just keep using it as a base that i don’t move anywhere, I was thinking of mounting a M249 in the middle windshield, but I’m not sure how smart an idea that would be, or if i should mount it in the middle aisle so it has 360’ arc without shooting my truck to shit. No idea what to add to it, but i might tear it down since i did find a 18-wheeler trailer in a nearby parking lot, and just place everything inside this, inside that and make a huge RV out of it.

I’ve no idea how you maniacs drive those around, “OP” parts or no. Last deathmobile I made that was even a fraction of that thing’s length and half its width, I couldn’t get around cities without getting caught on a flimsy bike or motorcycle that I didn’t see because I was trying to drive through PK-spawn hordes.

Also, since the “what’s new in experimentals” thread is dead, can someone post on this one when/if multiple engines and consumption/generation gets a fix? Appreciate it.

It’s not that hard. That’s basically what the rams are for, you can push or literally destroy vehicles with them, while your turrets (if you have any) kill approaching enemies. Of course, good plating helps too.

Personally, I do prefer to keep those kind of vehicles outside of the cities though. Or in the outskirts of a city. Driving it through a city makes quite a bit of noise, which will attract a lot of wander spawns.
If I want to loot a city i usually put the mobile base - in this case the Dark Angel - close to the border of the city, for example on a street that leads into the city, or next to a house. I activate the turrets (if applicable) and either use no vehicle at all for the looting or a smaller, usually foldable vehicle in order to get a little bit more loot.

By the way, to the OP part: I might be able to drive it, but the damn ELECTRIC ENGINE roars like a motherfucker, I have like 50-70 noise all the time, which is hilariously loud. In the past I used to have 1, maybe 2 noise…ugh. Why are they breaking the game so much?

[quote=“GingerSnapes, post:1223, topic:207”]water purifier

so it has 360’ arc without shooting my truck to shit.[/quote]

You can just install the purifier on the car so it runs off the car battery. And as far as I know in the latest experimental versions, turrets can’t damage the car they’re on, at least without explosions. Your screenshot does look like an older version though, and I don’t know when this setting was implemented… I only vaguely remember reading that it wasn’t always the case.

It’s not that hard. That’s basically what the rams are for, you can push or literally destroy vehicles with them, while your turrets (if you have any) kill approaching enemies. Of course, good plating helps too.

Personally, I do prefer to keep those kind of vehicles outside of the cities though. Or in the outskirts of a city. Driving it through a city makes quite a bit of noise, which will attract a lot of wander spawns.
If I want to loot a city i usually put the mobile base - in this case the Dark Angel - close to the border of the city, for example on a street that leads into the city, or next to a house. I activate the turrets (if applicable) and either use no vehicle at all for the looting or a smaller, usually foldable vehicle in order to get a little bit more loot.

By the way, to the OP part: I might be able to drive it, but the damn ELECTRIC ENGINE roars like a motherfucker, I have like 50-70 noise all the time, which is hilariously loud. In the past I used to have 1, maybe 2 noise…ugh. Why are they breaking the game so much?[/quote]

I have yet to get that far yet, but usually the intention with those big rigs is to serve as a safe mobile base platform to allow you to have access to all the supplies you want with you (perhaps permanently) looter scooters, drag behind carts and the like are typically used for city travel.

By the way, to the OP part: I might be able to drive it, but the damn ELECTRIC ENGINE roars like a motherfucker, I have like 50-70 noise all the time, which is hilariously loud. In the past I used to have 1, maybe 2 noise…ugh. Why are they breaking the game so much?[/quote]
Do rams damage vehicle parts more than spikes/blades? I’ve always gone with the latter for aesthetic and weight purposes. They’ve never destroyed a vehicle frame at my max speed of 64 mph. And sometimes there’s no way around a city, so I have to drive through (i.e. to get to a refugee center, for convenience without having to take trips into the city to the base and back). I often get stuck on bikes when my vehicle turns and rams into the bike with one of my boards.

theres always a way through, or around

[quote=“NFossil, post:1226, topic:207”][quote=“GingerSnapes, post:1223, topic:207”]water purifier

so it has 360’ arc without shooting my truck to shit.[/quote]

You can just install the purifier on the car so it runs off the car battery. And as far as I know in the latest experimental versions, turrets can’t damage the car they’re on, at least without explosions. Your screenshot does look like an older version though, and I don’t know when this setting was implemented… I only vaguely remember reading that it wasn’t always the case.[/quote]

I think im on the latest stable version? I just downloaded the newest experimental version and holy crap is there a lot of changes. There’s so much more information! Thanks for making me check it out.

Ramming damage depends on the Vehicle Weight and speed, as far as I’m aware. Rams are just ‘better’ because they can take a lot more punishment than blades or spikes. They also weigh more, which is actually benefical if you want to destroy something by ramming.

Usually, with my deathmobiles (20tons+) I can shove other vehicles around with the lowest cruise-setting and start damaging stuff with everything above that speed. Of course, if you plan on driving through a bigger vehicle, don’t forget to repair your own vehicle every once in a while.
Smaller vehicles, like bicycles, small cars n all are pretty easy to demolish with a big vehicle though. You may loose some speed, but that’s about it.

[spoiler][quote=“Kadian, post:1221, topic:207”][quote=“deoxy, post:1220, topic:207”]Yeah, I’ve occasionally seen disconnected wreckages for a long time… never thought about trying to salvage one, though, that’s a great idea!

Can you add more frames?[/quote]

That’s actually what I was thinking about when I asked if he could install/uninstall stuff. However, even then, the Truck-wreckage should be plenty for solar panels, and the car-wreckage should be enough for all the tools and some storage.I wonder how he wants to get one half inside a house though.

Also, new car time from me. I started a new game with the version…6083 I believe? So one of the newer versions. And, as you know from that, I had to deal with a whole load of s***, due to the problems with the engines. Nonetheless…

I shall present to you, the Dark Angel MK1

[i]This here beauty (21x9 ; without the rams.) weighs in at about 42 tons when empty and features, as one can clearly see, several new technologies. It comes with a full Bathroom, including washing machine, Shower, Bathtub, Sink and Toilet, a wide cooking area with several fridges, freezers and a counter, to make the tastiest food humanity (well, the living part of humanity) can dream off, as well as a wide 2-4 person table (Only 2 seats included to the table. Get your stools ready.) South of that is the sleeping area as well as the main console of the Vehicle. You can control everything from there, you could even drive, if you want. It also features 4 Dressers, in order to sort all your clothes (or, if you’re a woman, at least 2 of those dressers are for shoes I’d imagine.) as well as several crates and a bookshelf for storing day-to-day items, like Guns, Knives…
Please do notice our state-of-the-art floortrunk with imprinted red cross. We meticulously worked on this storage area so you can place and sort all of your medical supplies, if necessary.
If you go through the last door to the south, you will find the working area. Said area has an integrated bookshelf in the wall, in case you need to place manuals and similar reading material close to the working area ; It also features our patented Crate-Technology, which was also seen in the earlier section.

On the outside, the Dark Angel is, as usual, fitted out with several solar panels and defensive turrets, in case of car thieves (cough cough). Of course, instead of wheels it features tank treads, for grip on every terrain!
Now, you might wonder: How can you move those 42 tons? Yes, this was our question as well. In the past we used a system of several simultaneous working electric engines and auxilliary diesel and gasoline engines. Sadly, our manufacturer of Engines seems to had several problems in the past and couldn’t figure out a way to make his newest set of engines function together. This was, of course, a setback, but we found a solution: We met with one of our trusted suppliers, Billy ‘Its-a-steal’ Smith and were able to buy a single, working engine for a ridiculously low price. Scrooge McDuck would be proud of us. It’s an immense, old, electric engine which we were able to implement into our current vehicle. It has enough power to get to a top speed of 64 km/h without any cargo. Of course we also bought several experimental solar arrays and install them as well, to counteract the high usage of energy from the Engine. (basically: you break engines, so I gonna mod in an OP engine and some OP solars in order to make it somewhat work again. hrmpf. The current system with the engines is broken as hell and unacceptable. That thing is still way slower than any of my other vehicles, and even with my ‘OP’ solars it will drain relatively fast - but also regain it’s charge somewhat fast. I have to remember to NOT drive till dark though, ugh…)[/i][/quote][/spoiler]

I’m not gonna lie, your… ‘car’ inspired me to build a humongous huge death mobile of my own. My only question is, how do you add actual furniture to the car? Is that a mod or something?

Kadian your vehicle is freaking impressive, what a monster! To imagine the number of hours your survivor (and yourself) put into it … must be staggering!

If you would spend a tiny fraction of t his time to propose a mod that allows combining 2 engines into a more powerful one, that would be awesome :wink:

And also… what are the mods you use?

I use a ton of mods. None of them really influenced the building of the Vehicle though.

The Furniture inside the Car is a mod I made by myself.
I basically have a “small” mod where I add different stuff to the game, like EPas*, different drinks or variations of them (Cherry Coke, Irn Bru, multivitamin juice, …), new containers (1 Liter plastic and glass bottles, a military water carrier, which is basically a foldabe Jerry Can), some packages for a mixture of ingredients (example: A Condiment Set which includes stuff like chilly powder, curry powder, sugar, salt, pepper, … ), a few parts of armor which is custom made for myself, a Diary, which acts as a very low morale boost (+1 for a little bit. Bascially just for rp’s sake.), Disinfectant Patches (which is a usable 1 portion of disinfectant, inside a small bag, rip open and apply basically.), and of course, a lot of Vehicle PArts. This includes all the furniture you see in the picture, a few custom boards for interier walls and small changes to some vanilla parts too.
Most of the Time, the Furniture you see is a glorified box or cargo carrier. Nothing really outstanding. You can take water from the sink/toilet/shower though, but other than that, most of the furniture is just for looks ; I want a RV i can live in, goddamnit, and i need that furniture to do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course, I also had to change up the Tileset I am using - or all the new additions by me would be letters and whatnot. For that I basically grabbed my favourite tileset and added a few new tiles and searched for old tiles and changed the stuff accordingly in the tile_config.

*= Einmannpackungen. A former MRE from Germany basically, I figured they would start doing them again in the future. The main boon of them is that they have food for a whole day, which is 2 meals, some snacks and a bit more stuff for mixing drinks. Of course they are also bigger and heavier than a MRE.

Can I have a link to those modifications (If they’re available) please? Some of those things I find quite interesting. I’m sure other people would also like some of them as well…

Can I have a link to those modifications (If they’re available) please? Some of those things I find quite interesting. I’m sure other people would also like some of them as well…[/quote]

I’m one of these people. Since my current deathmobile is going to be… larger than the previous ones I’ve made, I’m really gonna need some furniture to fill all this space in.

Fortunately, I’ve just (re)discovered that you can disassemble steel frames for 10 lumps of steel, so getting all those HD frames is gonna be plenty easier now.

Can I have a link to those modifications (If they’re available) please? Some of those things I find quite interesting. I’m sure other people would also like some of them as well…[/quote]
yeah mate, i’m sure we’re all interested in your mod, it’d be great if you could dropbox it or something

Can’t upload images directly or I’m just a moron, so have an imgur link.

The Armored Mutagen Lab (AML), my own mobile base. Let’s see…we’ve got all the typical amenities expected from a survivor base including all the crafting stations, enough storage for all my everything, 2 water tanks, and 2 funnels. I went the extra mile and made 2 cargo dimensions from the Vehicle Expansion Pack which I use to store basic crafting materials and food.

For now this thing runs entirely on upgraded solar panels, no less than 5 upgraded solar arrays (also from the VEP) and 1 quantum solar panel. Once vehicle power and motors are rebalanced I’ll start using the plutonium cells I’ve been stockpiling.

It has no windshield and instead uses cameras on every side. I thought this would help stop enemies from seeing me inside but it never seemed to make a difference. The cameras will probably be removed and replaced with motorized doors and mirrors since they drain power constantly.

The AML is equipped with 5 laser cannons, 2 pulse lasers, 2 tesla cannons, and an ever so reliable military composite ram. It is unapproachable from every angle except from behind, which will be fixed once I find a 10th energy weapon.

Finally, you will notice that the AML is called by that name for a reason. It has 60L tanks for salt water, bleach, ammonia, and mutagen. Nobody in their right mind would ever need this much mutagen, but it gives you something to do once you’re nigh invincible.

The idea of repurposing a really large electric engine for use on a car sounds really interesting to me. Something stolen out of a mini or micro hydropower project would fit it nicely…
Something like a 80 - 200KW generator. Now, a quick search on new england does not procure good info on if/what kind of small hydropower capacities are installed.
If anyone knows a bit more, we could think about adding some kind of small hydro power plant building with its valuable engines :wink:

[quote=“jcd, post:1239, topic:207”]The idea of repurposing a really large electric engine for use on a car sounds really interesting to me. Something stolen out of a mini or micro hydropower project would fit it nicely…
Something like a 80 - 200KW generator. Now, a quick search on new england does not procure good info on if/what kind of small hydropower capacities are installed.
If anyone knows a bit more, we could think about adding some kind of small hydro power plant building with its valuable engines ;)[/quote]

If you want engines in that range, what you want is a re-purposed diesel-electric locomotive. Quite appropriate for New England, and those are in the ~3000 horsepower range.

The road train brakes only for fuel.