Vehicle Show and Tell

What’s the range on those things

It used to be the reality bubble, but now I think it’s like 50 blocks or so. Pretty lame now, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Last game I made “chicken skewer”.

It was a small 3x3 box completely boarded up, with two cameras on the front to provide sight. A long pole made of ten pipes was fixed onto the front. The pole was tipped with a blade.

And I drove to a chicken walker and slowly poked it until it exploded.

Lmfao. Okay that’s what I’m talking about.

It didn’t aggro because it couldn’t see you, right?

Indeed. It was surprising that the robot doesn’t have infravision.

Turning that thing while getting to the walker must have been interesting.

I’d love to make a variant of that that has a turret on the end.

Insert it into a building like a pe-… an ovipositor and let the turret kill everything inside.

Which would work if buildings were just empty squares.

God… this game really needs extendable arms.

I’d love to extend two blades out like that jeep from UT2k4

The thin layer of sheet metal doesn’t look prudent. You have to move with the elegance of a flight attendant.

I actually tried hanging off the outside of my vehicle as a freakishly huge mutant and driving via remote the last time I booted up CATA, but everything from beds to doors to roofless aisles cramps you up.

Thats the type of character that needs to drive a solar powered smart car.

I had been running around in stretched APC with 10 reinforced upgrade solar panels, a rifle turret, a bed, 7 cargo carriers, 8 stow boards, and a minifridge, welding rig, forge, and foodco buddy. It was pretty sweet. But the latest changes in the vehicle code dropped its safe speed to ~40 mph, and that’s just too slow for normal traveling.

So I went back to the first car I’d used in this session of CDDA, stripped it down, fixed it up, and rebuilt it.

Two seater, trunk in the front, wankel engine in the back, goes a sufficiently fast 125 mph. I’m going to have to be much more careful about taking it anywhere near zombies, but it least it’ll let me go through safe areas at a reasonable clip.

I love this thing. It is super fragile because I made it out of a gutted electric car to save weight but then overloaded it with cargo and storage batteries. The range is pretty good (enough to get me from town to town) with a full array of solar panels (upgraded as I find them) on top. Instead of side mirrors I use one camera up front on the seat and two in each rear corner. I have another set of controls inside which lets me see what is out there. It is really perfect for crafting as I have a chemistry set + pot and a FOODCO buddy along with a UPS system with a welder, soldering iron, forge, and firearm repair kit. I find that UPS is a better option than a vehicle repair rig or dedicated forge installation.

This is a great minimalist mobile base and definitely not meant for combat; although I did recently feel like a badass when I let go of the controls and shot and killed a cougar while cruising along at 60mph. It has foot pedals which let me cruise at 6mph if I’m really desperate to move it and have no battery left. Four 24" wide wheels give me decent off road capability.

The cargo is more than enough. The stowboard in the rear has misc. tools (e.g. sledgehammer, shovel, jack, etc). One cargo carrier has all food and liquid supplies and the other has misc crafting supplies. I don’t need much more than that. You can see that I’m barely using up half the capacity despite being more or less fully kitted out. I can live inside this thing for at least a couple of years.

Vehicles look so much better in retrodays.

This the first non-deathmobile non-superbike non-super shopping cart I’ve made, basically a solar wheelchair capable of highway speeds. I have the folding parts pack, vehicle additions pack, and huge vehicle (alleviates the fuel problem in current experimentals) mods activated, so the whole thing folds into just below 25L to fit under a standard car seat, and the low weight makes power consumption reasonable for the solar panel. It is really bad for offroading though when loaded. Currently I’ve only been using it to get back to my expedition vehicle after delivering other vehicles back to base, but I plan to try some wheelchair zombie jousting soon.

I think you can also use drive by wire controls for that kind of stuff. That’s almost funnier than the V8 segway I saw… that poor squirrel. That small of a motor shouldn’t be capable of those kinds of speeds XD

Here’s an interesting bugged vehicle I found at a tank drone roadblock. Somehow this cargo truck and another car were treated as one wreckage by the game, with nothing connecting them. Together they had enough wheels and good engines, so I filled it with some diesel and charged the battery with a jump cable. They do move together, with nothing in between! Maybe if I decide to settle down I can use it as the power system between indoors and outdoors, but driving it anywhere won’t be easy.

I don’t know how this happened. The only thing that happened before checking the vehicle was that I blew up the tank drone with the turbolaser turret from blazemod, which heavily damaged the smaller car.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Question: Can you actuall install/uninstall things on both wreckages? The build menu usually stops you from uninstalling items if that means that other parts won’t have a connection to the main frame, this could potentially mean that you can’t modify one of the wreckages because changing anything would let the game realize that there isnt a connection.

Other than that: Nice find. I imagine them being connected via a lot of jump cables and pipes, so that everything can flow to the other wreckage xD

Good reminder. I just tried installing and uninstalling a headlight that broke off the small car on both parts and it worked. Perhaps the game only checks whether removing a frame would cause a disconnection, but if there is already a disconnection then it doesn’t care.

Yeah, I’ve occasionally seen disconnected wreckages for a long time… never thought about trying to salvage one, though, that’s a great idea!

Can you add more frames?

[quote=“deoxy, post:1220, topic:207”]Yeah, I’ve occasionally seen disconnected wreckages for a long time… never thought about trying to salvage one, though, that’s a great idea!

Can you add more frames?[/quote]

That’s actually what I was thinking about when I asked if he could install/uninstall stuff. However, even then, the Truck-wreckage should be plenty for solar panels, and the car-wreckage should be enough for all the tools and some storage.I wonder how he wants to get one half inside a house though.

Also, new car time from me. I started a new game with the version…6083 I believe? So one of the newer versions. And, as you know from that, I had to deal with a whole load of s***, due to the problems with the engines. Nonetheless…

I shall present to you, the Dark Angel MK1

[i]This here beauty (21x9 ; without the rams.) weighs in at about 42 tons when empty and features, as one can clearly see, several new technologies. It comes with a full Bathroom, including washing machine, Shower, Bathtub, Sink and Toilet, a wide cooking area with several fridges, freezers and a counter, to make the tastiest food humanity (well, the living part of humanity) can dream off, as well as a wide 2-4 person table (Only 2 seats included to the table. Get your stools ready.) South of that is the sleeping area as well as the main console of the Vehicle. You can control everything from there, you could even drive, if you want. It also features 4 Dressers, in order to sort all your clothes (or, if you’re a woman, at least 2 of those dressers are for shoes I’d imagine.) as well as several crates and a bookshelf for storing day-to-day items, like Guns, Knives…
Please do notice our state-of-the-art floortrunk with imprinted red cross. We meticulously worked on this storage area so you can place and sort all of your medical supplies, if necessary.
If you go through the last door to the south, you will find the working area. Said area has an integrated bookshelf in the wall, in case you need to place manuals and similar reading material close to the working area ; It also features our patented Crate-Technology, which was also seen in the earlier section.

On the outside, the Dark Angel is, as usual, fitted out with several solar panels and defensive turrets, in case of car thieves (cough cough). Of course, instead of wheels it features tank treads, for grip on every terrain!
Now, you might wonder: How can you move those 42 tons? Yes, this was our question as well. In the past we used a system of several simultaneous working electric engines and auxilliary diesel and gasoline engines. Sadly, our manufacturer of Engines seems to had several problems in the past and couldn’t figure out a way to make his newest set of engines function together. This was, of course, a setback, but we found a solution: We met with one of our trusted suppliers, Billy ‘Its-a-steal’ Smith and were able to buy a single, working engine for a ridiculously low price. Scrooge McDuck would be proud of us. It’s an immense, old, electric engine which we were able to implement into our current vehicle. It has enough power to get to a top speed of 64 km/h without any cargo. Of course we also bought several experimental solar arrays and install them as well, to counteract the high usage of energy from the Engine. (basically: you break engines, so I gonna mod in an OP engine and some OP solars in order to make it somewhat work again. hrmpf. The current system with the engines is broken as hell and unacceptable. That thing is still way slower than any of my other vehicles, and even with my ‘OP’ solars it will drain relatively fast - but also regain it’s charge somewhat fast. I have to remember to NOT drive till dark though, ugh…)[/i]