Vehicle Modding Advice

As the title. what’s better, spikes or blades? spikes on front then blades on the sides, or?
Also can someone list the controls? I know the $ menu and cruise control but is there any way to brake aside from decelerating? I wanna stick plenty of spikes or blades on one side then pull a handbrake turn/powerslide. (which I think I can do with a quadbike, but…)

Any help is appreciated.

Blades do a hell of a lot of damage, but I’ve never given spikes a fair chance, so I can’t say for certain.

You can also have a special kind of armor called spiked plating. It usually needs to be crafted yourself out of a bunch of steel chunks and lumps, but it works like steel plating and inflicts extra damage to anything you hit there.

The numpad does basic controls, 8=forward 4=turn left 6=turn right 2=brake/reverse 5=coast. But sometimes folks don’t know that the diagonals combine turning and accelerating.

There is also the ‘s’ key. That controls the handbrake and it seems capable of bringing yer car from 40mph to 0 in a single turn. If used immediately after making a left or right turn it usually puts your car into a skid, allowing you to do a powerslide. Though the skidding mechanics do seem a little wonky sometimes.

<3 thanks Greiger, so it’s the s key… sweet.

found some heavy plating in a heli crash, but it’s way too heavy to carry unless I dump all my gear.

Y’see the way I figure it spikes would hurt anything you hit-straight on pretty damn bad (although a blade could probably chop it in half, maybe.) though blades on the sides would slice up anything that came close while you’re moving. AKA power slide + spikes on the side = Moving wall of metal spikes.

May I also ask if you can stick a fully functional lawnmower on front-- and what about the wheels? can you stick spikes/chainsaws to them so you can legchop anything that gets close like in the Gladiator movie? :smiley:

Darkling once had attachable lawnmowers in his mod back when Whales was active, but they aren’t in anymore. So sadly you can’t attach a lawnmower.

My go to custom vehicle is a trike with blades sticking out either side of the front wheel, so yes it seems you can attach stuff that way.

[quote=“Greiger, post:4, topic:435”]Darkling once had attachable lawnmowers in his mod back when Whales was active, but they aren’t in anymore. So sadly you can’t attach a lawnmower.

My go to custom vehicle is a trike with blades sticking out either side of the front wheel, so yes it seems you can attach stuff that way.[/quote]

Sweet. when I finally find a vehicle and mod it i’ll post something. Maybe we should be able to find hovercrafts just to use those massive fan blades, stick it on front… heheh…

Also, Bulldozers. Please guys, stick in a tractor/bulldozer and you will have all of my love. Also, combine zombie harvester.

those are not all that fast.
but finding a LAV, even with no fuel or ammo…

Can anyone explain how to use storage batteries? Are they for powering electric motors?

yes, yes they are.
solar panels charge them, thus you can drive at night.

Cool. Is there any other way to power electric motors? Hydrogen cells/plasma engines?

Basically, is there some kind of engine hierarchy, or are they kinda like melee weapons - they have different purposes.

Solar panels can power an electric motor. I think you still need a storage battery though, even if not it would be a really good idea, since the solar panels should be able to fill the batteries when it’s not running.

[quote=“AseaHeru, post:6, topic:435”]those are not all that fast.
but finding a LAV, even with no fuel or ammo…[/quote]

I suggest bulldozers because originally I think whales was going to implement construction sites, which I think is a pretty good idea. Of course, he dropped and I’ve only found this game recently-- but I still love it.
Also:

1. Heavy metal.
  2. Armoured Killdozer Rampage. I am not shitting you, he called it the killdozer. It has life-support and foot-thick composite armour. here’s the pic.

It doesn’t need to go fast. They have powerful engines to move all that weight too, so maybe you could strip it out and stick it in something else, but I digress. You could probably mow down a few hulks and not feel a thing. Only problem would be fuel-- and possibly tracks, if we could find some way to implement tracked vehicles. Generally it would be hard to damage, but attempt to take a turn too fast (i.e at ridiculous speeds) and you could have a chance to throw a track-- which would be very hard to repair on the spot.

Military, industrial and agricultural engines are generally fuel-hogging sons’a bitches, mainly because of redundancy, engine weight and expected projected total vehicle weight. All of those types of engines are designed to put out a hell of a lot of power to drive heavy-load vehicles. So remove say, a bus engine and strap it to a bike-- boom, the engine is now probably 95% of the total vehicle tonnage, bam you’ve got insane hp/t.

LAVs, IFVs, APCs, Half-tracks and MBTs would be nice additions, but i think those would take much more work to implement compared to just making a quick bulldozer design. Also the tracks from designing a bulldozer could be used in tracked military vehicles, the main problem with military ones is how you guys would go about designing a turret, because you’d have 2 types of movement going on at the same time-- one for the turret, one for the body. Could probably do it with a switch option controls to turret/body.

Of course to full operate an MBT you’d need to recruit NPCs.

I think the turrets will be like the ones already on vehicles.
Also tracks where out over time, so you will have to deal with that.

I honestly don’t mind, I love this game-- and hell I’m still exploring it. I’ve not even found military vehicles yet, so :stuck_out_tongue:

There is only the army truck. sorry.

One question I have about modding vehicles is how do you gather together all the parts? Some pieces (like the random 5-litre engines laying about in the street) are too heavy to actually carry, you can’t build them on-site, and as far as I’m aware, you can’t throw them on a push cart and move them back to your base that way. So how do you handle that when you have a steel plating over here, and an engine over there?

try garages. they often have those sorts of things.

That’s a catch 22 sort of thing. I use to gather them by using a light vehicle. If you have a motorbike you can use that for gathering heavy parts by placing them in the bike’s box. But, well, for that you need a vehicle in the first place.

For lifting heavy stuff try to be as unequipped as possible and take some drugs that enhance strength (such as drinking alcohol until getting tipsy). If that doesn’t give you enough room and strength then I’m afraid you’re out of luck as of now.

If a shot of whiskey isn’t enough for you to pick up some of the heavier parts you might need hydraulic muscles. At +20 strength there isn’t much you can’t lift… at least while you have power.

[quote=“kenoxite, post:17, topic:435”]That’s a catch 22 sort of thing. I use to gather them by using a light vehicle. If you have a motorbike you can use that for gathering heavy parts by placing them in the bike’s box. But, well, for that you need a vehicle in the first place.

For lifting heavy stuff try to be as unequipped as possible and take some drugs that enhance strength (such as drinking alcohol until getting tipsy). If that doesn’t give you enough room and strength then I’m afraid you’re out of luck as of now.[/quote]

It’s not really a catch 22 thing for me. My current character (the one in the Apocalypse Log) has a motorbike and flatbed, for scouting missions and large-scale raids, respectively. However, I would eventually like to try and build my own vehicle from scratch. The problem is gathering all the parts together. With the flatbed, my character doesn’t need to drag an object across town, only 20 spaces at the most to get it from the ground to the flatbed, or from the flatbed to a pile.

As far as I can see spikes and blades are roughly similar. I’ve gotten about equal damage on things with both, and it might just be a cutting/piercing change. The highest I’ve managed was 25,000 on a basic zombie with a spike so far.