Vehicle creation

I have played a lot of Cataclysm so far but the one thing I haven’t really gotten into is the Vehicle creation. I was wondering if you guys can help me get some information about making one? The questions I can think of are:

1. What are the absolute minimum number of components you need to have a vehicle?

2. What tools do you need in order to create a custom vehicle?

3. How high does you mechanics skill need to be and what advantages does a higher mechanics skill give you?

4. Should I use a premade vehicle as a starting platform and just modify it? If yes, then what is a good vehicle to use as a base?

5. Can a vehicle have a maximum size or can you create a monstrosity that takes up and entire road?

6. Ive heard of RV units, what are they exactly? Can you use them to cook?

7. What is your ultimate vehicle? Something that you build towards and what does it contain as components?

That is a few more questions then I expected to have. Thank you all for your help and if you have any additional information that I haven’t ask for then I would love to hear it.

1 two wheels an engine a seat and controls and a gas tank if applicable

2 wrench welder(lotsa batteries) hacksaw

3 i’m fairly sure 3 is the min to place an engine

4 either or doesn’t really matter

5 the size is only affected by resources and fuel also engines

6 yes you can cook with them

Not much of a vehicle guy either but I’m thinking I’m gonna have to make one as the initial spawn is looking pretty played out. Will be interested in this topic too.

1. Technically, 1 Steel Frame is all you need. In practice, the Bicycle is probably the simplest vehicle around: 3x Steel Frame, 1x Foot Crank, 1x Seat, 1x Vehicle Controls, 2x Bicycle Wheel, & 1x Box (= Steel Frame, IIRC, for crafting purposes). You could lose the Box if you want, but storage is a major benefit to having a vehicle.

2. I think just a Welder/Integrated Toolset, plenty of charges, and your components. If you plan on crafting your own components, that’s a question for the wiki. [warwolf0315 is right: Wrench is definitely needed, and I know a Hacksaw is needed to remove things. Not sure about adding them though.]

3. Depends on what you want to do. Replacing broken headlights was about 3 Mech, and adding a second engine requires 12 Mech.

4-5) I’ll leave those to the vehicle people.

1. RV Kitchen Unit is a one-stop cooking center; I think it’s basically a vehicle version of the Integrated Toolset, limited to cooking. Seems useful but apparently can’t be armored, so keep it inside.

2. You might try http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=1138.0
    or perhaps http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=212.0
    maybe even http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=253.0 .

1. You need at least:
  • An engine
  • A fuel container
  • Vehicle controls
  • A seat
  • 1 frame
  • 2 wheels
  1. To mod a vehicle you need:
  • A welder with batteries (Or an integrated toolset with charge)
  • A wrench to install parts (Or an integrated toolset)
  • A hacksaw to remove parts (Or an integrated toolset)
  • Parts you want to modify with
    To craft more frames/platings you’ll also need Welding Goggles, crafting vehicle controls also requires a hacksaw and hammer (Again, or an integrated toolset).
  1. You need a minimum of 3 skill in order to install vehicle controls, so that’s the minimum. A skill of 4 allows you to craft all vehicle part recipes available. Installing turrets requires 7 skill (And that’s the highest AFAIK). Installing more than one engine requires more skill (Which increases with more engines).

2. You should choose whatever is closer to the design you want. Larger vehicles can be broken down into more parts though.

3. AFAIK, the absolute limit is the sides of the vehicle screen.

4. RV Kitchen units are attachable to vehicles (Although they are fairly heavy). They count as a hotplate (Requires storage batteries), pot, and frying pan in crafting. You can get a drink from them by "e"ngaging them, though this requires water stored in a water tank. Finally, they also install a roof (i.e. count as an “in” tile).

5. I created a Mobile Base Crawler, which is exactly what it says on the tin. It’s essentially a Semi-truck with a ton of upgrades including an RV unit, bed, and (when I get then) turrets in the corners.

Higher skill will let you do more things to a vehicle. For example, I believe a level 3 mechanics skill will allow you to replace a broken wheel with another while you need a level 6 skill level in order to repair a damaged wheel that has not been broken yet. Plus a skill level of 12 lets you attach a second engine. These are just a few examples. Additionally, mechanics is useful in certain crafting recipes not limited to vehicle related things.

4. Should I use a premade vehicle as a starting platform and just modify it? If yes, then what is a good vehicle to use as a base?

If you’re new to vehicles, I’d recommend it. I generally prefer to use a preexisting vehicle and modifying the heck out of it. It can be a chore to get all the materials together because steel frames and many other vehicle components take up too much volume/weight and could take some time to get all the materials to the spot you’re making the vehicle. Not to mention all the batteries you’ll need to keep the welder powered through the process.

5. Can a vehicle have a maximum size or can you create a monstrosity that takes up and entire road?

Never lived long enough to find out.

They can be used to fulfill all your cooking needs. It essentially takes all the cooking tools one needs to slaps it on a vehicle so you don’t have to lug that stuff around. However, from the little I played with RV units, you need to have battery storage unit as well. The RV Unit contains a hotplate which needs charges. These charges derive from what’s in a battery storage unit you have installed on a vehicle. Additionally, it’ll help you to have a water storage tank on it as well for cooking.

7. What is your ultimate vehicle? Something that you build towards and what does it contain as components?

Basically, one that has all the basic components to get it to move decently, with enough storage to make into a mobile base. Also helpful to put a bed in it with RV Unit and many blades attached to its front for Zombie ramming goodness.

Blades are not good for ramming. For the regular Z you might not care but all those shockers getting obliterated make me sad. Their corpses yield CBMs. All you really need is a lightweight, 2 ton car, moving at 16km/h to kill any Z that attempts to share a tile with it. Even hulks seem to go down, though it is hard to verify as I so rarely encounter them.

Well, I can say for a fact to answer a few of your general questions and give you a bit of information from my time working and building my perfect creation which I call the Builder Bike (Started from a peddle bike to a god-like creation)

I’ll answer your questions first and see if there is room to add other information that you should know. I have gotten into a very deep depth in my pursuit to create a Bike to Take the Land Speed record from the current Record Holder and I am more then willing to share.

1. What are the absolute minimum number of components you need to have a vehicle?

For starters i would have to tell you that when you are first starting off, you should get your skill level to 3, that will allow you to play around with an existing vehicle and get your personal and character experience going. You will need an engine and 2 wheels, as well as a seat and controls, seat belt optional but if your going to make a city crusher like the one i have, you need that little rope BADLY.

1. What tools do you need in order to create a custom vehicle?

To start editing your vehicle you will need a wrench and a powered welder (Toolset) for the very basics, that includes expanding your steel frame to add boxes or trunks ( o / H ) which hold a space A-Z, which is the maximum storage space for one tile. Adding items to your vehicle will cost you 50 charges, which can be reloaded into your welder by equipping it and having batteries in your inventory. To remove items you will need a hack saw to remove items. While not using charges, it all takes time. Time is a very important factor to watch out for, as you can go from normal to Exhausted in one building run with 6-8 pieces, and you will find that you need to stock up on supplies before you start working on your (Starting to call it your ride from now on…) ride. Water is easy enough, just smash a door in and spread out the 2x4’s with one empty space between and have a pot or frying pan with you to boil toilet water (YUM). As for food, it will come to you, wolves and cougars will spawn randomly for you to cook over a fire with a wooden spear made from a door. Just make a note that you cannot store that meat for very long, it will rot within a few hours so eat to your max. Food and sleep are crucial, i have lost many a mechanic to disregard for the basics when doing larger upgrades and found that you must give up on upgrading if you get tired, if you let it get to dead tired, your will expend large amounts of supplies after a near day long rest.

1. How high does you mechanics skill need to be and what advantages does a higher mechanics skill give you?

3 is the basics. You will be able to start putting on extra storage and basic things of that nature, while walls and reinforcement comes later on in your to-do list. You should focus on storage as you are a traveling person that will get board if you stick around one place for too long without anything to do. Trust me, it gets annoying when your stuck in a town rummaging for food and boiling water for 4 irl hours in a town you cleared out. After awhile your cooking skill will get to mutagen level and purifier levels, so you can play with the dead zombies flesh and mutate to your hearts content, but we’re talking about your ride here not the late game play time. like i was saying before you distracted me, you want storage, AND LOTS OF IT, my bike has 35 storage on her right now, and each space has its purpose and is nearly full with crap that i need to survive, lots of ammo and fuel and car parts for my Land Speed record attempts. You will find the storage useful in surviving mid to late game and will thank me for making you build them, but make sure to keep them behind some steel frames so if you smash into anything they wont get damaged, if you smash into a zombie at 30+ with a Trunk or box, you will damage the storage by 1-2 durability which will cost you 50 charges if you want to get it in the green again. 4-6 means that you can repair just about anything on your bike now, so you don’t have to keep replacing your tires and bla bla bla, you know what i mean if you get about 20 minutes with a car in a city, things get nicked and scratched. Your levels will come quickly, just repair your scratches with XP and you will be leveling up crazily, it doesn’t matter if the part is light green or red, same XP, and i believe the same amount of time to fix it. BUT NEVER LET A PART BREAK, it is a sad day when a part of your bike breaks, because then you cant add the replacement part somewhere else, meaning 1 less storage or completing your new wall. Also, 6 means you can install solar power, you will want to install 1 or 2 panels into the back of your ride and a storage battery as well, once you get to level 12 you can install a electric motor which will decrease your need to refill jerry cans to satisfy your needs for fuel
(mine only uses 1 fuel and has 15 gas tanks XD)
Turrets in my opinion are kind of silly as they use up ammo and don’t really do much more then to make you go
"NOW MY RIDE IS TOTALY B-A"
When you get a few levels and have customized your bike a bit, spend some time to decide how big your going to make your bike, generally you can get away with a behemoth as the smallest engine in the game can satisfy a 30-40 mile car with a ton of items on it. once you decide how big, then you need to get yourself some Steel plating and make a defensive ring around your car so if you nick something you don’t hurt your soft insides. then look into installing roofing and a bed.
note that you need a 3x3 roof to not get the wet moral modifier and you will have a hard time sleeping if your getting rained on

1. Should I use a premade vehicle as a starting platform and just modify it? If yes, then what is a good vehicle to use as a base?

When your skill is low, use a shell, i wanted to get the full experience of building so i chose a peddle bike to start off with, get the right tools, find a car, and have fun with it.

I find that a semi or a bubble car is a useful start since they both can take a hit before they break and offer you possibilities to go off of, but i suggest smaller ones until you get some jerry cans to refuel your ride, the bigger they are, the more fuel goes down the drain to move those big boys, so install extra metal tanks when you find the, and fuel them up, each adds extra longevity to your travels.

1. Can a vehicle have a maximum size or can you create a monstrosity that takes up and entire road?
    TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT, THE MAP IS YOUR LIMIT, if you build an item on the farthest extent of your ride, the screen will move over one tile to allow you to extend it further, i have used this to my advantage, trust me, my baby is long, but not too wide, you bump into to much when your to wide, length is better.

2. I’ve heard of RV units, what are they exactly? Can you use them to cook?
    Well, sorry to say that i have only just found my unit to play with, you will need water storage and the storage battery that i told you all about before to charge up your cooking heat elements, while i would love the implementation of a charging station, OH MOMA THAT WOULD BE DEVINE. He hem… These units are somewhat rare in any case and i only just found one on day 175, while others will find it easier to find one i am sure. These RV units overall are very useful and i would suggest making a small space in your car with walls and a door around it to set up your little shop so that when you park to cook and work that you don’t get surprised by someone next to you.

3. What is your ultimate vehicle? Something that you build towards and what does it contain as components?

Mine, Is the Builder Bike, a massive 20 long 15 wide monster beast that i derived from a little peddle bike. It has the smallest gas engine in the game and uses only 1 fuel or 3 energy as i have installed a large electric motor with 2 solar panels and a storage battery, in sunny weather i never use any fuel and can in essence drive forever until i need to eat. The total storage is 20 boxes and 15 trunks organized in a quaint pattern that wont aggravate a OCD person while the idea was tempting if i ever want to post it here. It has a full shell of Steel plating with an extra layer of defense on the front with a layer of Hard Plating before a layer of Steel Plate. I am currently harvesting windows to make a full cover around me of glass to make a easily replaced wall. This is behind the Steel plates so that they don’t get rammed into anything OC. I have installed a Flamethrower on the front of the Bike to burn down annoying buildings. This bike has been my pride and joy since the day i ran up and grabbed it next to a portal with 15 greks and 3 flaming eyes that chased me for 2 entire days before i lost them and was left in a decrepit state only to blow the doors off of a science lab and develop my second most powerful character i have ever had.

Hope all my knowledge of vehicle construction will come of use, this is the culmination of over a month of on and off playing with the mechanics of this great game, so with that i leave you with my personal saying.

LIVE LONG, DRIVE FAST, RAM HARD AND PROSPER. -The Driver Moto

please, may i add refrigerator to my truck?

[quote=“WhiteSamurai, post:7, topic:1289”]Turrets in my opinion are kind of silly as they use up ammo and don’t really do much more then to make you go
"NOW MY RIDE IS TOTALY B-A"[/quote]
With the addition of tunneling telepathic zombears and tunneling telepathic bears turrets keep them from digging through hard plating and my wall to rip my face off while I’m trying to sleep.

[quote=“WhiteSamurai, post:7, topic:1289”]5. Can a vehicle have a maximum size or can you create a monstrosity that takes up and entire road?
TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT, THE MAP IS YOUR LIMIT, if you build an item on the farthest extent of your ride, the screen will move over one tile to allow you to extend it further, i have used this to my advantage, trust me, my baby is long, but not too wide, you bump into to much when your to wide, length is better.[/quote]
Half the reality bubble is your limit actually, if your vehicle leaves the reality bubble at any time the whole damn thing disappears. It also depends on how strong your PC is, for example the RMCC is fucking huge, but I can’t use it on my laptop because my laptop is a peice of crap.

[quote=“Siferous, post:1, topic:1289”]I have played a lot of Cataclysm so far but the one thing I haven’t really gotten into is the Vehicle creation. I was wondering if you guys can help me get some information about making one? The questions I can think of are:

2. What tools do you need in order to create a custom vehicle?

3. How high does you mechanics skill need to be and what advantages does a higher mechanics skill give you?

That is a few more questions then I expected to have. Thank you all for your help and if you have any additional information that I haven’t ask for then I would love to hear it.[/quote]

Alright so I just went through this process you are looking at, not knowing anything but seeing a need for reliable transportation with more uses and survivability than just a repaired car. So here is how I went about it.

To start with you need to decide what you want to do with your vehicle. Some people just want a loot runner that weaves through citys at high speed, holds their stuff and gets them back to base fast. Others want to be a rolling stone, no permanent base at all, so for them building a rolling house as wide as the road or even larger is the answer. Both are valid, I sort of split the difference. I drove a few vehicles I had fixed up before I decided what I wanted to do and I found that a semi was going to fit my needs best so I used it as my base to build off. You want to make yourself a vehicle welding rig and put it on ASAP as it makes the entire process 1000x less painful. As others have said the core parts you need to build any vehicle are very very heavy and bulky so carrying them to your vehicle in 1’s or 2’s will take you forever. On top of that, handheld welders DEVOUR BATTERIES LIKE A BLACK HOLE. My solution was to simply back my rig up to a broken down car somewhere and use the vehicle welding rig on the back to disassemble said car piece by piece. This in turn put their basic parts at my feet so I could just immediately add them to my growing baby. The vehicle welding rig runs off your vehicles battery, so if you simply slap a couple solar panels on her, poof, you have unlimited power for either adding new parts or repairing the old ones. I started my build with 6 mechanics skill, by the time I finished I was nearing 20. Your skill will increase dramatically during any substantial project so you probably won’t have to worry about it very long. As others have said, you want to protect the more fragile parts on your vehicle and I think most people do this by adding either a second outer layer covered in armor to take all the impact or installing a cow catcher/bull dozer blade to the front, again covered in armor. The second skin in going to take you more time/parts but its really up to your personal preference. Ideally you will eventually armor all your outer vehicle anyway but a dozer blade can get you on the road faster and you can just change it up later if you want. Personally I like to keep a stable base but having my vehicle include all the necessity’s allows you to spend more time in the field. Exploring an entire science lab can be a long process taking multiple in game days, so I can do it faster if when my character is hungry, thirsty, and tired I can just go up to my vehicle and have my food and water waiting for me as well as a safe bed to sleep in and storage for all the swag I found. This saves me the hassle of driving back and forth over and over again, and as you clear more and more space around any stable base, those trips will be longer and longer to any new territory so having to do it less often is nice. Check out http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=212.0 that link to see some of the crazy cool stuff people have made. Everything from loot runners and land speed record super cars to massive rolling monstrositys capable of crushing an entire city block. What you build will be based off of your needs, patience, and imagination. Its a wonderful world, welcome to it. =)

how can a hook up Truck Trailer to Semi-Truck?

Dismantle the trailer than reconstruct on the semi. I don’t think you drag things like a trailer and just weld it on.

I believe there is a minifridge vehicle component currently, but as of yet refrigeration doesn’t actually do anything.

It DOES do something. Freezerbunny over there made minifridges properly preserve food, in exchange for for 1 full storage battery’s worth of power every day. The fridge is able to be toggled on and off, of course.

Also, experimental build :stuck_out_tongue: