'Vehicle Dweller' starting scenario

I want to say that I started a thread like this a whiiile back, but I couldn’t fin anything in search, so I guess i just THOUGHT that I had, lol.

I have in mind a starting scenario where you would choose a starting vehicle, such as a van, motorcycle, RV, etc with the more valuable the vehicle, the more points this scenario would cost. You would start anywhere and everywhere and would always start with an empty gas tank but a full battery. the description could be something like;

“You always valued personal freedom and loved imagining the adventure waiting around the next bend. When the apocalypse struck though,you traded nearly everything you owned for gas so that you could get back to your hometown. Too bad you ran out…”

with this, you would have a working vehicle from the get go, but would just have to find some gas for it. My biggest issue with vehicles atm is that you nearly always seem to only have a working car only once you no longer have a real need for one.

[quote=“CosmicKobal, post:1, topic:9989”]I want to say that I started a thread like this a whiiile back, but I couldn’t fin anything in search, so I guess i just THOUGHT that I had, lol.

I have in mind a starting scenario where you would choose a starting vehicle, such as a van, motorcycle, RV, etc with the more valuable the vehicle, the more points this scenario would cost. You would start anywhere and everywhere and would always start with an empty gas tank but a full battery. the description could be something like;

“You always valued personal freedom and loved imagining the adventure waiting around the next bend. When the apocalypse struck though,you traded nearly everything you owned for gas so that you could get back to your hometown. Too bad you ran out…”

with this, you would have a working vehicle from the get go, but would just have to find some gas for it. My biggest issue with vehicles atm is that you nearly always seem to only have a working car only once you no longer have a real need for one.[/quote]

Starting with a working car might be too easy imho, even if you need to find the gas.

Actually, the most difficult part would be to find the rubber hose to be able to siphon the gas:).

Not even that, you can just smash a fridge to get an easy rubber hose.

You can always use a vehicle, in my opinion. Either use it to move large quantities of loot around (labs, military bunkers and so on), or use it as Home instead of a building. Also, its not too hard to find a working vehicle, look around on the streets and in cities, you usually find at least one vehicle which is in working condition, usually more. Then just add batteries and some gas to it and you can drive away.

I like this idea, but the issue is coding in spawning with a vehicle. No idea how that would be doable.

You code it where you start ‘next’ to one.

I’d agree only if it puts you at least 30-40 tiles away from any town/city. Make it 'stranded vehicle"

It should be a random issue. empty gas tank (with a hole in it), dead battery, blown tire. (car has no jack), Dead engine/alternator, broken steering (controls). Starting ‘with’ a car for free is too easy if all it needs is gas.

It’s already pretty easy to find a working or mostly working vehicle in any decent city.

Having a vehicle makes it easy to transport goods, kill zombies and escape.

I mean I’m not sure of the actual CODING that would make this possible. >_>

Yeah, i know, that’s why i said it’s the most complicated part, since getting close to a fridge will put you in potential danger :slight_smile:

The code would be trivial, but I can’t see balancing a working or near working motor vehicle against any other character options, a working car is just too good. If you want that start, just make a character and then debug in a car, but no way is that balanced no matter what you trade for it.

What would make sense would be to focus on the scenario part of it, "You managed to throw some supplies in your car and get out of town, but you didn’t make it far before your car broke down."
So basically start away from town with some supplies an out-of-comission car, like at least two things broken that prevent it from being drivable.

This gives me a possible idea though. The biker profession seems like the one most likely to start with a vehicle, and that one could be used for a scenario where you start with a damaged motorcyle, possibly with the “surrounded start” flag added.

Has anyone suggested a scenario where you can play any profession but you spawn in the middle of a car wreakage with zombies around?

I have been playing Bionic Preppers that create vehicles in the starting shelter before I leave. It’s pretty fun to try and make the best one.

I can’t say this is overpowered unless you start with a vehicle with plenty of gas and in full working condition. I think it’d almost be easier to make the spawn condition that they have to spawn at least 10 tiles from a city and near a vehicle on a road. You wouldn’t even need to add code for spawning a vehicle. The vehicles that are outside of town already could be used for spawn location.

I don’t really see the balance problems resulting from a working car at spawn. Those aren’t really that rare, nor all that useful early on.

Plus just making it empty on fuel and with a dead battery is enough to leave it out of commission for a good while. Especially if you spawn out of town instead of near delicious lootable vehicles and supplies.

Agreed. Now I think it’d be hilarious (if not all that important) to start them with a car with a hole in the front where the engine used to be and a dead bear in front of the car. :stuck_out_tongue:

Then again, starting off on a wrecked bike, in the center of town, injured and surrounded by enemies, possibly with an empty gun added to our inventory, would also be Fun.