Vehicle Additions Pack (Updated December 8)

Ooh, thanks for catching those, Updated OP.

Removed Pipe SMGs from recipes.
Fixed Quad SMG recipe.
Fixed hilariously overpriced ammunition. (Metal fragments i.e. 1 scrap metal worth $2200)
Redid prices for turrets. (NX-17s might need to be brought down a bit. They’re worth $12,000)
Removed redundant entries, those aren’t working right now anyway.
Some of the out-of-place tabs don’t seem to be appearing on my editor, but I did what I could.

Funfact: Quad SMGs were originally called “Quad Cannons”.

[quote=“Blaze, post:61, topic:7616”]Ooh, thanks for catching those, Updated OP.

Removed Pipe SMGs from recipes.
Fixed Quad SMG recipe.
Fixed hilariously overpriced ammunition. (Metal fragments i.e. 1 scrap metal worth $2200)
Redid prices for turrets. (NX-17s might need to be brought down a bit. They’re worth $12,000)
Removed redundant entries, those aren’t working right now anyway.
Some of the out-of-place tabs don’t seem to be appearing on my editor, but I did what I could.

Funfact: Quad SMGs were originally called “Quad Cannons”.[/quote]

Still have that id. (Four on the floor.)

NX-17s are kinda rare so those prices may stay high after all.

Tabs may be a function of your editor. We tend to recommend Notepad++ to people because it lets one set the Tab key to insert multiple spaces, rather than a tab-character (which translates differently from system to system, so it looks fine on yours but wonky on Git or ours).

As I posted, I’ve no objection to this going mainline rather than mod–though it’ll take some refactoring on the merger end. Only reason not to is to have your credit in, and CC-BY-SA does take the BY part seriously.

If you didn’t notice, this mod is now included in the mainstream branch. Congratulations Blaze!

Oh noes! I was just about to update with the newest stuff!

• Added laser turrets, it’s not fair that only the NX-17 gets love. Laser turrets are slightly easier to make (Being mostly pre-fabricated weapons), do slightly less damage than the NX-17 counterparts, but have better armor piercing capability (They also leave behind shiny beam trails).
  • When destroyed, turrets will properly break into pieces rather than having a 50% chance of surviving. The Ripper/Shredder is the exception, those will just fall off damaged when they run out of durability because they were made to withstand impacts.
  • More price/recipe fixes.

Edit: Oop! Second fix, changed “metal_chunk” to “steel_chunk” to fix ID errors.
Oh, and the rebar reinforcement is now foldable, if you want to armor your folding vehicle a bit.

[quote=“Blaze, post:64, topic:7616”]Oh noes! I was just about to update with the newest stuff!

• Added laser turrets, it’s not fair that only the NX-17 gets love. Laser turrets are slightly easier to make (Being mostly pre-fabricated weapons), do slightly less damage than the NX-17 counterparts, but have better armor piercing capability (They also leave behind shiny beam trails).
  • When destroyed, turrets will properly break into pieces rather than having a 50% chance of surviving. The Ripper/Shredder is the exception, those will just fall off damaged when they run out of durability because they were made to withstand impacts.
  • More price/recipe fixes.

Edit: Oop! Second fix, changed “metal_chunk” to “steel_chunk” to fix ID errors.
Oh, and the rebar reinforcement is now foldable, if you want to armor your folding vehicle a bit.[/quote]

That’s the sort of thing we need warned about, please. I’d object to reinforcement being folded as it seemed Kinda Rigid, being welded rebars and all. Apart from that, throw it up and we’ll get it in.

Alright, I removed folding ability of the rebar reinforcement and uploaded it. Someone was working on making more folding frame options anyway.

I think that was me, but that’s pretty much done now. I may still add a larger cloth storage part (think hotel laundry carts), but that’s about it.

If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps you should make the turrets capable of dis-assembly. Players may find it expedient to be able to re-purpose parts of a turret into other kinds of turrets as befits the circumstances.

I originally shied away from the idea of turret disassembly due to it only returning the top material in the recipe instead of whatever was used, but that was fixed during the course of this mod.

Alright then, most turrets can be reverse engineered. Some exceptions are turrets that where the gun is built around the frame (Gatling Cannon, Scorpion, Speargun, etc) or the mechanism of the gun was drastically changed (Turbolaser Cannon, Splintergun).

Link in the OP is up-to-date as always.

[quote=“Blaze, post:69, topic:7616”]I originally shied away from the idea of turret disassembly due to it only returning the top material in the recipe instead of whatever was used, but that was fixed during the course of this mod.

Alright then, most turrets can be reverse engineered. Some exceptions are turrets that where the gun is built around the frame (Gatling Cannon, Scorpion, Speargun, etc) or the mechanism of the gun was drastically changed (Turbolaser Cannon, Splintergun).

Link in the OP is up-to-date as always.[/quote]
Ah, thanks man. :3

Just started playing this mod and I am absolutely thrilled with it so far. Great job Blaze.

Just one quick question. Are shock absorbers and rebar reinforcement supposed to be mounted like rams or were they intended to be armor, like spiked plating/military composite? Because I can only install them over empty space.

Whoops, yes they are meant to be used as armor.
Uploaded with the fix.

I should have a pull request with the updates posted to github in about an hour. Sorry I’ve been away from git a few days.

Thanks again Joker.

Now, I believe the only thing left is to wait for feedback on how effective these turrets are. I personally think I left the laser weapons a bit lacking but that’s just me.

I tried using the spear turret, but found that I can’t insert any spears into it. Installing any cargo holding item on the same tile is not possible, meaning the turret is not usable in any way.

Also, some other turrets, such as scorpion, have abysmally low ammo storage, making them practically useless, despite being hard to construct. Because of that, energy turrets are pretty much the only ones seriously usable. I tested storm bolter against regular zombies and it used up about 200 metal bolts before it could kill 9 zombies.

The spear turret uses fishing spears, not regular spears. Are you using the right one?

The scorpion is meant to be a single-shot weapon against heavier enemies; it lacks autoloading capability. I’ve killed a T-Rex with 3 wooden ballista bolts. Even a tank drone won’t last long (If you can get close enough with asploding). However, against smaller enemies, it tends to miss a lot or graze them.

I dropped the damage for bolters quite a bit and added armor piercing ability, perhaps I haven’t balanced it enough? I’ll look into it.

Yep. The one that has a rotary version.
The rotary version has rather poor 5 volume storage. The non-rotary version has size 0, which makes it utterly useless.

How long ago did you test the turrets? Was aiming update already in? If not, then the turrets may be starting with a huge recoil that didn’t exist about a week ago.
Your turrets certainly have the old dispersion values: single digits rather than multiples of 15. This should make them better than vanilla turrets, but apparently turrets need huge damage values to damage rather than graze.

Reminds me that I should create an aiming computer part for vehicles.

Looked into it, it looks like the same issue that broke the previous non-exploding flamethrowers also broke turret piercing damage. It only counts ammunition, and not the weapon. Until that’s fixed, I fiddled with the weapons a bit; should solve this issue, though albiet by an ugly hack.

As for the rotary spear launcher, I removed the burst capability but doubled its storage (40 spears). Should do small wonders to against most targets now.

Note: I haven’t fully balanced these changes, your experience with these updated turrets can range from slightly OP to ridiculous, so keep that in mind.

As always, link in the OP is up to date.

I’ve also had trouble mounting body rams to any vehicle, what sort of corpses will it accept?

It should accept any corpse, or at it least it did. Corpses are now pseudo items.

I could devise a hack-y way around this: Corpses can be used as tools, but they can’t be used as ingredients.
So if I did something like combine X short rope/chain using a corpse as a tool (The corpse is left behind, but can’t be used again), you could make a body ram item that installs.
Alternatively, I could make the recipe use tainted meat.

I’d be really reluctant to do that though, this mod already contains a bunch of hacky bits. So I’ll leave the decision up to the rest of you of whether it’s worth keeping or not.