Using a garage at it's fullest?

Considering any kind of driving starts spawning dozens and dozens of zombies, is there a way to use garages without having to wear 10 backpacks and haul all the stuff out?

I’ve considered boarding up the windows and door and just using the steel garage door, and driving into the garage, but will zombies be able to break down boarded up windows and doors ?

tl;dr: its okay to work in barricaded garage but ONLY at night.

well, since i’ve been in exacly this situation i can tell you what happened.

1st: my toon had light step, bow as weapon, integrated toolset and full night vision + infravision mutations (so no light sources needed),

what happened: i found car in garage, brought over few components from other garages in city (this was done ~0000h) then i started to board the back window. all was good, rest of the night was spent taking the car part by part.

at morning, i did go quick trip to hunt for food, and then proceed with work. started new vechicle and began to install new stuff. but zombies came. hordes spawned outside garage, probably attraced by sound of me welding parts. few sniffed the door and break into. that was kinda fun fight, but in the end i ended with broken door and several corpses in the way. removing them and then bulding new door was easy, as no new horde spawned from THIS side of garage. i barricaded those back door also, and decided to postpone welding till night - as night seemd safe for work.

so i went to sleep only to be weaken by hulk that smashed my sleepy body into the floor. NOTE: all windows and door were still barricaded. what comes next is hardcore fight with hulk, in very closed space. note: wearing army helmet helps. when hulk was lying dead i noticed lots and lots of "?’ outside, probably zombies spawned thanks to hulk SMASH!'ing stuff inside. they were not attacking yet so i went to the smaller garage backroom, and barricaded myself (making door and boarding it) there. and went to sleep - no zombie come or spawned.

i woke by the night, and finished my shiny new turbo electric buggy with TWO (yay!) solars, by about 0900h, with well, horde that started to try to bash thier way into. filled battery, opened the front doors and saw… well… kinda big amount of zombies outside. thankfully with functioning vechicle i just rushed outside, ramming my way out of city.

But what about bringing your car to the garage to work on it ?

And you said electric car? I should get myself one of those, they’re quieter than my flatbed I guess.

Flatbeds are super extra noisy.

Yea its either driving a flatbed or a motorcycle, flatbed is probably safer. Ideally I would be able to swap out the engine for an electric one and keep the size and utility of it.

Ive been finding a smashed up but workable vehicle, backing it into the garage, snatching what I want, dropping it in the trunk and then hammering off to do my work at a farm or something.

Staying in a city for a long time is a bit risky.

In my original version garage did not have that row of 5 windows. Anyway, they don’t look too realistic (how many garages with such big windows have you seen IRL?)
It seems to me that someone added them to keep the game balance.

[quote=“uzername, post:7, topic:280”]Staying in a city for a long time is a bit risky.

In my original version garage did not have that row of 5 windows. Anyway, they don’t look too realistic (how many garages with such big windows have you seen IRL?)
It seems to me that someone added them to keep the game balance.[/quote]
I also added the doors. And yeah, it was mainly because garages were basically instant fortresses before.

You can stay in a city, you just need to fort up and trap/pit heavily.

I’m kinda of mixed feelings about this. I feel you should be able to barricade up a place well enough where the zombies can’t get in. You still have to deal with the resulting horde waiting for you at the door. Vehicles of course make this relatively easy. But if your car get’s screwed up then you are kinda out of luck.

I’ve never actually survived long enough to work on a car, just joyride in ones I find. But if I was to do some welding, I’d be doing it far away from the city. :slight_smile:

@ jimboblordofeskimos
“You can stay in a city, you just need to fort up and trap/pit heavily.”

I like this, it’s a clever use of the game mechanics and adds realism. Still wouldn’t do it myself; would drive to a base.

@uzername
“n my original version garage did not have that row of 5 windows. Anyway, they don’t look too realistic (how many garages with such big windows have you seen IRL?)
It seems to me that someone added them to keep the game balance.”

It’s a good balance add imo. And yes, I actually know a few mechanics in my area, and the majority of large bay mechanics’ garages DO have plenty of windows. You ever tried working on an engine in a closed-off room with improper lighting? It’s hard enough to see to the bottom of an engine in full daylight. :slight_smile:

They do usually have large windows, but aren’t they usually pretty high up?

Not sure if american style. Or any other style, but the garages and such where I live typically have no windows at all. ( we just roll the massive roller doors up and viola.
I think garages should be made back into the super fortresses they were, because getting in and fortifying is easy, just try getting out with a massive hoard of zombies.

My next door neighbor owns a garage, and his shop has sets of roll doors at one side, and full floor to ceiling windows (with a counter in front) at the other. In fact it’s almost exactly like the garage design in the game. :slight_smile:

But yeah, there’s different designs of course, just like all buildings IRL.

Seems to me like one could still pretty easily make a garage into a fortress though yes? Can’t one just dig pits outside the windows, move some counters / board windows + doors, etc?

In fact, with the office “choke point”, the inner room, relatively low number of windows compared to say, a gas station or clothing store, and the garage doors as emergency exits it still seems the garage is the best in-town stronghold outside of maybe a house with a basement.

Yeah, it’s still pretty simple to fortify them now, it just takes some time and resources rather than them being unstoppable the second you close the doors.

All we need now is to be able to put a garage door opener on the door. :stuck_out_tongue: