Car Doors Flip Open

I read a few times about “car door shields” and it’s a fact that car doors are too heavy to use as a shield.

This inspired me however to think of what policemen tend to do:
When facing the culprit they open the car doors and use them as cover and to rest their arms/weapons on!

Would you support the idea that car doors actually use a tile next to them for opening to not only provide cover but also make exiting the car that touches a wall impossible?

I like it.

Normal doors, too. We could implement an economy of door-flip-open tile guessing!

[quote=“Rookie, post:1, topic:5058”]I read a few times about “car door shields” and it’s a fact that car doors are too heavy to use as a shield.

This inspired me however to think of what policemen tend to do:
When facing the culprit they open the car doors and use them as cover and to rest their arms/weapons on!

Would you support the idea that car doors actually use a tile next to them for opening to not only provide cover but also make exiting the car that touches a wall impossible?[/quote]
Has my support, if it counts.

Opening a car’s door from the driver’s side and smashing it into an unfortunate zombie’s face is very tempting.

Driving past a zombie?
Hey, isn’t that Steve? Opens door
THAT’S FOR HAVING SEX WITH NANCY!

You could select where you want the door to open, like when you select the headlight’s direction.

So after you open the door, will you be in the doors “area” or still in the same place? 'Cause I hope it’s the latter.

ummm… what would the point be exactly? Police men do it so they have a lesser chance of getting shoot, and i’m not too keen on taking my vehicle near any turrets.

I have suggested car doors before, and I would like to say that you should at least be able to modify one to be lighter at least, you can’t deny how badass that would be.

I’m not entirely sure if being unable to exit the car would be a good idea, but I think if this idea is implemented it should extend to all doors, not just vehicles. Would make maneuvering around a bit more interesting, particularly if you don’t know whether doors open inwards or outwards.

Trunk doors open up upwards, so we would need different kinds of doors, too.

The problem with regular doors flipping open is that one tile wide aisles won’t be possible anymore which will most likely crash with most house/building designs.

[quote=“Rookie, post:10, topic:5058”]Trunk doors open up upwards, so we would need different kinds of doors, too.

The problem with regular doors flipping open is that one tile wide aisles won’t be possible anymore which will most likely crash with most house/building designs.[/quote]

Trunk/boot doors shouldn’t really require a change as long as they only open upwards. Most of them are small enough that any change between open/closed states would occur on the same tile ingame anyway. Exceptions would be things like the landrover freelander boot door, which opens to the side and is bloody huge to boot, or APC hatches etc.

Also one-tile wide aisles aren’t that common, though in such a case could we just set the door to open in only a specific direction, or simply instead of making them an inpenetrable obstacle just increase the movepoints required to cross the open door terrain slightly.

[quote=“turtleagldragon, post:8, topic:5058”]ummm… what would the point be exactly? Police men do it so they have a lesser chance of getting shoot, and i’m not too keen on taking my vehicle near any turrets.

I have suggested car doors before, and I would like to say that you should at least be able to modify one to be lighter at least, you can’t deny how badass that would be.[/quote]
Popping the door open while driving to clock some wandering zed sounds like fun. Brutes and hulks ripping the door off and beating you with them could be fun too.
Whenever we get factions and NPCs worked out it could be nice for anti-NPC combat, because you just know there’s gonna be bullets flying everywhere.
Wasn’t someone working on a mechanic for ducking as well? can’t remember.

You duck into the cover of your car door!
NPC Sprays and prays!
Bullets ricochet off your <> car door!
Your Steeltoed boots are ripped!
NPC is reloading!

Feel free to pepper them while they reload kinda thing.

Yup, that’s exactly what I was aiming for :slight_smile: Thanks for the vivid scenario.

The problem here is the scale in CDDA, how much further is this door extending from the frame of the vehicle if you make it ‘move’ because it’s open?

Each tile is 3x3meters. I couldn’t imagine a door opening farther than 2 meters.

Chairs arent 3x3 neither.

Nobody said they where, just that they are in that tile and you have to dodge-run around them.

Chairs arent 3x3 neither.[/quote]nor are beds. or couches. or short ropes. or pocketknives. yet all of these take up an entire tile.

And cars are specially not 15 meters from side to side.

Yeah, but that is more of a balance thing.
The thing is: what does this add to gameplay? Other then door-slapping Zeds… Nothing much, just some more annoyance. Realism for realism’s sake isn’t a good view to have.

Well, those few turns and changes can save or kill you. Idk.