An end to Pain

Currently you can get up to crazy amounts of pain in the game (860+ while testing) without dying from it. I suggest the following, get over 255 pain, die of shock.

Keeps the pain level dangerous. Makes acid rain more dangerous etc. And gives you another way of dying, which is pretty rogueliky.

I was under the impression that high amounts of pain made you pass out or collapse. Similar to falling asleep.
That’s why i always pack oxycodone.

I would rather prefer a non-wake-up-able sleep, but seeing the situations that cause large amounts of pain, insta-death might make more sense.

We need a doctor to explain the the repercussions of extreme pain.

I think I’d probably vote for collapse over just insta-death. That said how did you manage to get that much pain? The fact that you were able to get that much probably indicates that at least one thing somewhere should probably have a cap placed on how much pain it can add.

And gives you another way of dying, which is pretty rogueliky.
Yeah, some people who consider DDA should be a roguelike are into that, but enough people weren't that lots of those were removed.
Makes acid rain more dangerous etc.
Acid rain used to do physical damage capable of killing you in original Cata before DDA removed that. Environmental and water-resistance protection was actually pretty important back when.
I suggest the following, get over 255 pain, die of shock.
Also related, in older versions of Whale's original Cataclysm, if your morale dropped too low (-250?) your character automatically committed suicide.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind having some more consideration to pain and morale both given we had mutations regarding pain resistance and recovery (which I don’t currently consider sufficiently useful to obtain) and that the new traits include morale related ones (which I don’t currently consider sufficiently useful to take).

Humans have been suffering from depression since FOREVER.
I’m pretty sure you don’t to depend on mutations to relieve your morale issues.

EDIT: What works better as a pain reliever?
Oxycodone or heroin.
Does drinking alcohol (ingame) make you DYE while taking these?

I guess both morale and pain should be capped. I routinely exceed 100 pain in acid rain… with no lasting effects.

Pain definitely needs some caps placed on the spots where it’s placed (stubbing you two as your foot is melting in acid won’t really add pain at that point). As for morale, I think a reduced returns as your morale gets higher/lower might be better then a hard cap, so as you get more happy or sad it becomes more difficult to move in those respective directions.

The wiki joked about it, and folks on the forums tossed it around like it was real, but it never actually worked that way. No matter how low your morale got, your character would never actually commit suicide.

Maybe there could be flavor text added to reflect the upper and lower extremes of morale,
I’m not sure if having a very low morale causing you to commit suicide would be a good idea.

The time it’ll take for your char to recover from a huge (I mean -1000) will make you want to.

We just said that was a bad idea.

Really? i never saw anything like that, i saw that it was never implemented, and discussion about pain. Sorry, if i happened to miss something.

So what should the cap for pain be?
What happens if we reach that cap?

If you reach the upper limit on pain your body goes numb and you collapse. You go into shock and would require medical attention. Really if you didn’t die from shock the pain from movement would render you unable to move. Pain should take a chunk outta speed with increasing amounts.

I think I should make the difference between what actually causes physical shock and what you’re suggesting, which is that extreme pain can trigger it,“Circulatory shock, commonly known simply as shock, is a life-threatening medical condition that occurs due to inadequate substrate for aerobic cellular respiration.” (Wikipedia, but it has a source on the statement, so I trust it). The primary causes of shock include inadequate circulating volume (bloodloss or if you like fancy words hypovolemia ), ineffective heart (cardiogenic shock), or septic shock (infection causing mass amounts of hystamine production causing intense vasodilation)

Acute stress reaction is likely closer to what you’re thinking, but it’s still a longshot. Pain itself is only a sign of something getting screwed up in the body. Frankly, it’s why we have pain receptors in the first place. What should probably happen is a loss of strength, and possibly loss of consciousness. Otherwise, paralysis might be possible, but I just don’t know enough to make that determination.

Also, adrenaline is often released in a combat situation while facilitating the fight or flight response, which seriously impedes pain’s influence in combat situations.

Doesn’t it already do this?

I think passing out for 1-5 minutes should be a good consequence of high pain. Maybe not when you have high Pain, but when you have a large increase in pain, there could be some chance to pass out related to Strength. It should be a small enough amount of time to not matter to a player cauterizing wounds in his basement, but long enough to be hurt severely or killed in combat.

Doesn’t it already do this?

I think passing out for 1-5 minutes should be a good consequence of high pain. Maybe not when you have high Pain, but when you have a large increase in pain, there could be some chance to pass out related to Strength. It should be a small enough amount of time to not matter to a player cauterizing wounds in his basement, but long enough to be hurt severely or killed in combat.[/quote]

Pretty much anything over 50 or so Pain is incapacitating for combat purposes. I’d be worried at the 10 level, personally. At 100 you hope you don’t encounter anything hostile because there’s no way you’ll be able to flee or effectively fight.

In my opinion it should have a threshold. Like, (im just making random numbers) if your pain goes over 100, you pass out. So, if you get hit and have 125 pain you should pass out until it goes below 100? Though. While writing this that doesnt sound very practical/realistic. Seeing you could pass out by a lava crack and your pain could forever increase.

Pain in and of itself is not centrally debilitating until after most threats have passed, in fact, the epinephrine response in high stress combat scenarios often counterbalances any pain experienced until after the fact. Pain is an afterthought, our body telling us it needs fixing. Injury should contribute to pain a bit more directly, based on the severity of the wound, and increasing if left untreated unless healed naturally, but should not immobilize an individual on its own. Extreme pain generally CAN be withstood, but nobody wants to deal with it. If you’re out there alone, though, most often you’re likely to psychologically suppress it. The human mind can do amazing things just to stay alive.

There’s my third cent, if anyone minds

Roll a Fortitude save based on Con to resist death from massive damage…oh wait, wrong game. moving on :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah yeah, realism, I know pain itself does not kill in the real world. But I’m not a huge fan of how the real world works. (It is a bad game).

Currently it just isn’t that much of a threat. If you have high combat skills good armor and pain 50+ it doesn’t matter. Doesn’t make Z’s more likely to hit, just gives them a few more shots at you. All bounce almost harmlessly off your armor.