Underground Galore idea

Teleportation on creatures as far I seen can be complicated. I am gonna test a few things and if it dosent work I will make the dimensional shambler appear out of thin air in specific areas

And that dosent seem like a bad idea. Have a idea I will read in to it and see what I can do.

It does sound like a cool monster, I was just asking cos I’d hate it if something like that was added and it just kept killing itself by accident.

True…so scary it teleport in to a tree and is no more. If there is no way of making efective teleportation I might not be able to make it actually scary besides it appering out if thin air.

The creature only has 50 speed but the plan was for it to teleport closer and when it hits teleport away from the target.

fingers crossed it can work!

Actually…I think I know a way…XD brb gonna need to find the code real quick and test it

1 Like

dont forget to add the link to the mod at the first post, this seems to be looking interesing

I will be making a “the lab” section in a bit. I have been pretty busy coding and testing a few things.

But sadly the teleportin monster won’t be in the mod…well KINDA…if I can find a way to rename the “Lundge” and “leap” and aswell change the text for it instead of saying “the (name) leaps” change it to “The (name) vanishes and flickers back closer!” And make a unique form of it.

1 Like

Yeah the ‘monster leaps’ message is hardcoded and will display as long as you’re able to see it when it uses a leap attack. That’s a bummer.

1 Like

Dam…then yea there is no way to make teleport monster possible sadly.

Will keep updated through here about all plans and such. For now gonna take it slow.
There seems to be alredy a few undeground mods out there and seeing such I will most likely expand on undeground creatures and robots and add new forms of cave and Mine sections for now before I go all big. Suggestions and ideas are apreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a deep fascination with giant caterpillars. o_o Angband has them in their underground dungeon thing.

Like, just, you know, regular, harmless catterpillars but huge. We have a criminal lack of herbivores in Cataclysm. I saw you referenced a ‘stoneapillar’ in your other post, so maybe you’ve already done that.

You also mentioned struggling with some things. Feel free to ask questions. There are devs and mod-folk around that can probably help.

2 Likes

Yep the “stoneapillar” is fully coded! It’s a very slow creature that literally goes about munching on rocks with no care in the world. It’s hard stone reinforced exoskeleton gives it more reason to bite on the tasty rock than pay attention to anything. The only creature IN the undeground that can harm it are the Dark wyrm,especially the desolver type i made as the caterpillars have high resistance to physical BUT very low acid resistence. A natural predator for the caterpillars.

There is also a rare subspecies I had written down in the documents. Seeing I will be adding quartz as material there will be rare “Quartzapillar” a caterpillar that has consentration diet on quartz making it very reciluant to acid,electricity and fire but slightly less to physical and you can butcher it to get “Chunk of crystalline chittin”

And yes they will be tameable with a unique item that can only be reatrived from mining quartz deposits.

And the issue I am having is trying to understand how map related moding works like was trying to add new type of cave (the game alredy has cave entrances so wanted to add new one to the current ones to save bit on time befor bigger future ones) and aswell use it as a testing ground for me to play with monster groups and spawning,etc

1 Like

Ah. Well, caves are hardcoded mapgen. Affecting them would require c++ or someone to jsonize them, both of which are beyond my personal abilities. Unless I’m misreading the code, and I hope someone corrects me if I’m wrong.

I don’t think they’re opposed to adding code for mod support, so that’s probably not out of the question, but you probably just want to work inside of the json?

I’d suggest making your own location from scratch rather than trying to attach it to the existing caves. It wouldn’t be hard to draw up a surface location that would reflect the cave entrance, and throw an underground for testing. In the end, you could match the symbol and name and all, so players wouldn’t know if it was a hardcoded cave or yours until they went inside. If that’s what you’d want.

If you’re really focused on testing the underground, you could just copy the LMOE shelter surface floor. It comes with stairs already and is pretty minimal. That’s what I did with the caches mod. Alternatively, spawning the location with the debug menu will work even on the surface of the world, it’ll fill in the rock and everything, so you really don’t need to be underground for testing.

2 Likes

Hooooo I dint know I could just spawn it in the surface…that helps alot actually won’t lie. Thanks alot!

Never made a location befor but we will see. If all goes well then I will release a test version of the mod next week or earlier so peeps can give opinion. It will have all core critters and atleast two locations. Items and two armors.

But thanks will get to work!

2 Likes

There was a PR open for a while with a monster that could switch places with the player, the “swapper.” Looking at that might be helpful?

Edit: Kevin’s response there is gold, BTW. :grin:

1 Like

Hmmmm now that is something I will look in to very interesting. I will read up and see what I can do.

A small update on the mod.

New hostile creature faction will be added to the mod known as “Fosifids”. Rather-unninteligent hostile beings of what seem to be formed from roots and entangled stone, related to trifids seek to spread underneath the earth’s influence. Known for being bulkier and tougher in apperance but slower do to such fact. But as well reciving there name to unique features of some ,if not most, being drenched in natural fossil fuels like petrolium as a simbólico representation of “the blood of the earth”. Do to there slow nature they should not be taken as a great threat but it is of outmost recomendation to prevent the use of explosives,thermal and high caliber weponry as some are known to detonate at high heat and friction.

Edit: so I talked to some one about one of the creatures that will be includes in the mod. They got inspired and made a quick ink sketch of it. This is known as a “Cobustion Zombie”. A a zombie (oil drillers and such) had fallen in such a pit or other source and got infected. Making this walking black tar zed.

1 Like

Soon I will be deleting this thread and make the mods dedicated The lab thread and aswell gidhub.
It’s gone through many re-codes but so far all monsters,terrain and items work as intended.

The only issue I am having is if some one could lend me a hand with mapgen and buildings :confused: read through the info.json and kinda understand but still don’t grasp it well.
Trying to make a new cave,new “mining shop” building for towns where you can get pickaxes,fossiles,etc. Alot more as well but don’t wanna spoil

Edit: ook read again I understand now I was a idiot…but how dose one make stairs/slopes be on top and such for the cave to work?

Edit2: I am just confuses because some mapgen like example the park:
“(Blank)” is supposed to be t-grass,t-grass,t-grass,t-grass,t-dirt? Why dose it have lines like that instead of just t_grass and done?

3 Likes

When you have multiple terrains listed under the same icon it will choose from the list.

So,

" ": [ "t_grass", "t_grass", "t_grass", "t_grass", "t_dirt" ]

means it has a 4/5 chance of spawning t_grass and 1/5 to spawn t_dirt. As far as I know, that’s how it works, as an even distribution.
This is done mostly for grass and trees, so that it will result in a more randomized and therefore more natural-looking area.

I don’t think I know what you mean about stairs. If you put a down stairs on a floor and then put up stairs on the next lower floor, they will be connected, provided they have the same coordinates other than the Z coordinate.

IE: When you define your overmap special . . .let’s say we have cave_surface which is at 0, 0, 0. We put down stairs on the cave_surface map. Then we have cave_underground which is at 0, 0, -1. As long as cave_underground has an upstairs, and cave_surface has a downstairs, they should be connected.

I’m not sure how it works when there are multiple sets of stairs. I’ve never done more than the one set. I’ve also never used slopes, but it would make sense to me that they would function the same way.

1 Like

Thanks alot…dam unicorn really apreciate it would have been here stuck XD but yes that is what I ment.

Now I know everything the very basic/core of the mod SHOULD be out by the end of the week. Shop is all done with item groups. Monsters are done. Terrain done. Armor done. Items done.

I am multitasking and fleshing out other ideas to be implemented later on. But thanks owe ya!

1 Like

2 things
;

1. Zork (just kidding)

2. Any interest in making this?
    ~The Flesh Forest~

Whenever time allows of course.

1 Like